Extratec

Jacko1235

Hi everyone I have a new cricket and I want to put extratec on it. There are a few different theories on how to do this. Some say not to oil the face at all whilst others say oil the face once then after drying apply the extratec. Also I am too lazy to fully knock in the cricket bat by myself so I was thinking of taking it to my local cricket store and getting them to use their knocking in roller and then use a old cricket ball and knock it in for a bit more. Is this wise? Thanks for the help sorry if I am repeating another thread however I don't think I found one which asked these specific questions.

Hi everyone I have a new cricket and I want to put extratec on it. There are a few different theories on how to do this. Some say not to oil the face at all whilst others say oil the face once then after drying apply the extratec. Also I am too lazy to fully knock in the cricket bat by myself so I was thinking of taking it to my local cricket store and getting them to use their knocking in roller and then use a old cricket ball and knock it in for a bit more. Is this wise? Thanks for the help sorry if I am repeating another thread however I don't think I found one which asked these specific questions.

If you've got shed loads of cash and you're not that fussed on looking after it.... Yeah get it done at the shop, they'll put it away on a shelf for a day or two out the back of the shop and then tell you they've rolled it or what have you, and then sell you a ball in a sock or something to finish off 'Knocking it in' all for a price I'd imagine? You'll go off all pleased that you've taken the short version of knocking in and then your bat will break. You go back to the shop they sell you another one and round and round you go repeating the same process.

Bottom line is - If you want to look after the bat and you want to see a season or two out of it, you've got to knock it in. The only person that is going to do it properly is you if you're serious about your cricket!;)

I knocked in my old cricket bat by just hitting it with an old cricket ball for a week. Will this still do? What they do is they roll the cricket bat in front of you with a specific cricket bat rolling machine. I know this will not complete it fully so I was just planning to hit it with an old cricket ball for a bit more. If this is not a good idea would it be better to buy an actual cricket bat mallet? Thanks for the clip by the way

I knocked in my old cricket bat by just hitting it with an old cricket ball for a week. Will this still do? What they do is they roll the cricket bat in front of you with a specific cricket bat rolling machine. I know this will not complete it fully so I was just planning to hit it with an old cricket ball for a bit more. If this is not a good idea would it be better to buy an actual cricket bat mallet? Thanks for the clip by the way

The ball in the sock method isn't as efficient as a mallet, a mallet will be quicker and allows you to target those all important edges. I'd go with the mallet every - time. Yeah it's boring and tedious, but old skool is the best skool. Other than that if they're going to squeeze your bat in a machine for free and you get to see it happen - let them do that. Then with an old good quality ball - have someone bowl at you and see if the ball leaves any marks? WARNING - I'd do the edges first though at the very least before the bowling stage:eek:. If the ball leaves marks or dents in the bat, you know you've got to get your mallet out and give it another hour or so, then repeat the process.

All depends on what cover you're fitting. The clear cover needs to be applied to a bat which has not been oil otherwise it will simply peel off (glue is not that strong). Covers with the fibre glass strands (which I'm guessing you're referring to here) will generally stick even if a bat has been oiled. Helps to let the oil dry for a few days though.

Once you have a cover applied remember to still oil the back of the bat to help seal natural moisture in and keep damp out.

I'll also add that not knocking in a bat will not cause it to break straight away. Yes, the fibres will not be as compressed and the wood will mark and crack easier but you still have the same chance of a big chunk breaking off as any other bat. I rarely bother to knock bats in and have not had much in the way of breakage. Edges are worth doing though and will only take a bout an hour spread over a few days. If you have a cover added then the bat has extra protection again. One thing you may find is that bat doesn't perform as well; at least until the fibres are knitted together.

Back