Faster Delivery

shahidpak

Hi everyone !

Lately, I've been thinking about developing a faster delivery that I would bowl either as a bouncer or a yorker.

I mean if you bowl it as a Yorker you could use it like Shahid Afridi once used it :

What do you guys think ?

Hi everyone !

Lately, I've been thinking about developing a faster delivery that I would bowl either as a bouncer or a yorker.

I mean if you bowl it as a Yorker you could use it like Shahid Afridi once used it :

What do you guys think ?

I wish they'd do these speeds in real money, I'm going to have to go away and find out what that converts to in MPH!

I wish they'd do these speeds in real money, I'm going to have to go away and find out what that converts to in MPH!
Jesus that's fast 83mph! I knew he bowled fast balls but that's really fast. Yeah if you could come off your usual delivery and increase the speed by another 20mph that might get you wickets that's for sure. My flipper is a much faster ball and as it skids low it frequently catches people out and I take the occasional wicket with it, weirdly better batsmen.

Kph is the real money Dave the metric system used by everyone except English people... I've bowled a couple of these and fast bouncers in the nets and nearly hit a few batsmen on the head, but I've been training too much I think, 4 times a week so I messed up in 2 matches last week, is there anything like overtraining?

Anyway this delivery has huge potential, I don't know why Shahid Afridi didn't bowl it more often?

Kph is the real money Dave the metric system used by everyone except English people... I've bowled a couple of these and fast bouncers in the nets and nearly hit a few batsmen on the head, but I've been training too much I think, 4 times a week so I messed up in 2 matches last week, is there anything like overtraining?

Anyway this delivery has huge potential, I don't know why Shahid Afridi didn't bowl it more often?
Yeah definitely! I think I've been guilty of this in past few years. You can train so much looking to make so many micro adjustments that you just end up screwing everything up. More than anything I found that every time I trained I did so with high expectations of something significant happening it meant that I was never relaxed. I then stopped and didn't train for several days and kind of made a massive decision to try and be wholly relaxed and bowl my way. Haven't looked back since, bowled far better last year and this year so far I've so much better for doing it my way with all of its idiosyncrasies and living with the fact that primarily I'm a leggie that bowls with more over-spin, a high arm action and rarely getting the ball to drift. Take a week out - maybe just bowl lightly after a week and perhaps focus on very small targets, like 'be relaxed'?

And North America. Just annoying that they all don't change, would make things easier.
What over to Miles per hour - yes definitely! While we're at what's the deal with Centigrade/Celcius? As far as I'm aware on the tele and everywhere else the weather has always been done in 'proper money' centigrade, but every now and then on the weather they talk about Centigrade as if it's the new thing and we're all a bit vague about it? What the hell is that about? Everyone knows water boils at 100 degrees centigrade and freezes at 0 degrees (No pedants please going on about pressure levels) who give a flying crap about the Fahrenheit measurement cos it's out of sync with reality in the same way that KMH is?

What's the national speed limits on motorways in the UK?

Sorry should take this to the ranting forum really:)

What over to Miles per hour - yes definitely! While we're at what's the deal with Centigrade/Celcius? As far as I'm aware on the tele and everywhere else the weather has always been done in 'proper money' centigrade, but every now and then on the weather they talk about Centigrade as if it's the new thing and we're all a bit vague about it? What the hell is that about? Everyone knows water boils at 100 degrees centigrade and freezes at 0 degrees (No pedants please going on about pressure levels) who give a flying crap about the Fahrenheit measurement cos it's out of sync with reality in the same way that KMH is?

Next you'll be talking about how many furlongs you cover while fielding...

How is kph out of sync, in school we measure everything in cm,m and km... Not in inches... I remember the first day of school someone asked me my height and I said 1m79 and they all looked at me weirdly

How is kph out of sync, in school we measure everything in cm,m and km... Not in inches... I remember the first day of school someone asked me my height and I said 1m79 and they all looked at me weirdly
Exactly! Some of us can't let go of our proper measurements, I can make sense of some of it some of the time, but only vaguely.

Coming back to the topic... Saturday I played for the 4s got 3 wickets but I couldn't get the last wicket so we ended up with a draw... :( the number 11 batsman I was bowling to had a pretty good defensive shot, I bowled the faster ball he hit me for 4 though, the problem is every time I bowl the faster ball it goes for 4 ????

Coming back to the topic... Saturday I played for the 4s got 3 wickets but I couldn't get the last wicket so we ended up with a draw... :( the number 11 batsman I was bowling to had a pretty good defensive shot, I bowled the faster ball he hit me for 4 though, the problem is every time I bowl the faster ball it goes for 4 ????
That's the issue I have with my faster ball - The Flipper, I think it's instantly recognised as having the attributes of most of the bowling they see every day they play cricket - flatter, doesn't dip, so it often get hit for four especially if I bowl it more than once in an over.

I bowled the faster ball he hit me for 4 though, the problem is every time I bowl the faster ball it goes for 4 ????
The secret with this kind of delivery is that absolutely nothing must be given away. Check that your windup is identical to the legbreak until, at the last possible moment, you suddenly whip it through. Give no clue whatsoever to the batsman.

Ideally, try to convince yourself that you are about to bowl a legbreak. And then just become the faster delivery.

Aside from disguise as mentioned by boogie you really have to pick your moment.

Assuming it is well disguised the batsman will still see the change in trajectory, speed and revs on the ball. There are also pitch considerations, how quick is the pitch? Also, a faster ball will usually pitch fuller than your regular deliveries.

You need to then look at what the batsman is doing or will do. Are they going back to everything? Are they hitting across the line? etc.

I try and only use a faster delivery (flipper, arm ball etc.) once every 5 overs in 50 over or 2-inning games and at most twice in T20 games.

That's the issue I have with my faster ball - The Flipper, I think it's instantly recognised as having the attributes of most of the bowling they see every day they play cricket - flatter, doesn't dip, so it often get hit for four especially if I bowl it more than once in an over.
Well the flipper is supposed to bounce short but keep low isn't it ? So the batsman tries to play across the line and the ball goes under his bat to hit the stumps?

Shahid Afridi's fastest ball he bowled was 134 km which is very fast.
Whenever i try to bowl the quicker ball it is either a full toss or way to short. How could i fix this????
After my faster ball i do like to bowl a slower ball which the batter often tries to go after and often hits it straight up or knicks it.

Shahid Afridi's fastest ball he bowled was 134 km which is very fast.
Whenever i try to bowl the quicker ball it is either a full toss or way to short. How could i fix this????
After my faster ball i do like to bowl a slower ball which the batter often tries to go after and often hits it straight up or knicks it.

Consistently adjusting your release point is the reason why simple variations in pace are often far harder to master than people think they're going to be. Think of how much practice it took you to master a consistent length for your stock delivery. Whenever you bowl a ball at a different pace, your body has to re-learn its natural release point all over again.

Back