Fielding Positions

Re: Fielding Positions

My kids have just started playing cricket for a club and they were given a sheet with the 11 basic positions for a fast bowler (as far as I can make out) and told to learn 2 of the fielding positions. I was crap at remembering the positions and as far as I'm aware most of the blokes I play with - who've played for years haven't got a clue either.

So once my kids got this sheet with the positions and told to learn 2 of them I set about helping them realising it'd be good for me too. So I made 11 plastic tokens and wrote the names of the fielding positions on the tokens with the intention of learning 3 in the first week and then more the next if necessary. So what I did is mark out a wicket on the carpet floor and asked them what 3 positions they were going to learn (they're 7 and 11 years old) and got them to place the 3 tokens in the right place. We all learned the 1st few in a matter of seconds and then my 7 year old got cocky and started adding another. Any to cut a long story down a bit - it got to this stage using a tape on the kitchen floor in a matter of 2 days Wrist Spin Bowling: G&C Nets - The Videos scroll down and look at the photo. Within 2 days we all knew every position.

I then had another idea. If you've got MS Paint on your computer or photo-shop you can make a template cricket pitch with the wicket marked out and then duplicate it 11 times. On 11 of the image files place each of the different fielding positions and name the file by it's position. Then one by one add text to each image with the name of the position and then 'File save as' the same name but add a on the end. Once you've done this you can open the file up in MS picture viewer and run as a slide show. The slide show will go through the fielding positions 1 by 1, first with the position marked with no text giving you 5 seconds to guess it, then followed up by the 'A' post-fixed files that show the position with it's name - see my blog again Wrist Spin Bowling: How to learn fielding positions

i dont see why it so hard to remember them
im a keeper and a captain
its really not that hard
good suggestions so far
but what i did, it may just be that i love cricket
watch more cricket and get a eally good understanding of fielding positions, and why there is a fielder there

hmmm i just picked up a cricket book and went to a page with all the fielding positions on it and just read them over and over again...

Most kids will just learn fielding positions by experience. If you don't know where the position is most captains will just point and you will learn then and there where it is.

brickwaller99;394281 said:
Most kids will just learn fielding positions by experience. If you don't know where the position is most captains will just point and you will learn then and there where it is.

Indeed

On another note, i found the best way is to just learn it as a co ordinate style system, ie a distance and a rotation (maybe because i'm an engineer !)
This is a better picture for that

http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/images/Cricket_fielding_positions1.gif

fielding-positions.gif

This is the one I've been using for reference... although SteveyD has a great link too

And why not throw in the batting Strokes too lol

batting-strokes.gif

I don't like that picture, it's not representative of real-life cricket shots. You can quite easily pull the ball anywhere between fine leg and mid-on, drive the ball anywhere from point to square leg, and cut the ball through cover. It doesn't even mention the back foot drive or the clip off the legs.

i wouldnt exactly call long stop a common fielding position wicketkeepers are actually good nowadays. u might need one if mat prior is ur keeper:D

Back