Good in nets, bad in games. Bowling yips???

dilsl

Good in nets, bad in games. Bowling yips???

Hey.

I've had a problem of late, and I only really realised it this season, I just thought I was bowling bad.

In the nets I can bowl really quick and place it on the spot almost every time, I'm really accurate in the nets. But on weekends when I play, I lose a great deal of pace and accuracy, and I bowl wides and full tosses, which I almost never do in the nets....

I've practised bowling on a turf wicket with no one around, and I seems to be getting everything right. When we played in a non serious centre wicket game at training, I was bowling very well like I normally do. But then the next week, there was another sort of centre wicket game, at the venue where we play, and I wasn't bowling like I can.

It's a really annoying problem, seeing as I'm not really sure of what to do, because I can't just go to the nets and fix this problem...?

I also read a bit about something called bowling yips...not sure whether this applies?
:confused:

But anyway, what can I do to fix this?

Re: Good in nets, bad in games. Bowling yips???

Quick answer is that it could be a form of the yips. It seems that you are either putting too much pressure on yourself or you are feeling the pressure come match days. While there is no easy solution you need to take steps to relax and put things in perspective.

Control the controllable - don't worry about anything else. Breathe correctly and think positive.

In terms of practice you need to set up training so it is as similar to match play as possible. Not always an easy thing to achieve but it would allow you to build up confidence and get used to the 'pressure'.

Of course there could be technical flaws but if you are certain that things are great in the nets then the mental aspect seems the most likely reason.

This does not sound like 'Yips' to me... but then I am a bit of a purist. If you have not already done so, have a look at http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t58399/.

However, mas is right that this is a classic mental skills issues brought about by not enough 'match' training.

Too much training these days is in the nets. Nets are really important for working on technique, whether batting, bowling or wicket keeping and, although 'functional' for this purpose, it is not 'functional' for matches and the both need training. It is a bit like taking the blinkers off a horse that has always worn them. You give it far too much to see and think about that it has not had to deal with before that it either freezes or bolts.

In the nets, you do not need to think about the fielding; whether you can force the batsman to send the ball where you want them to or whether you can avoid a catch. All you have to think about is a wicket. A game of cricket is far more than this.

Okay, thanks to you both.

So I need to calm down and relax, I thought before that something like that might help, because it was mental.

How can I make my practices more realistic? I don't really control what happens at team practices, but I can do whatever I want when I train alone or with a friend. I could use the centre wicket too...anything specific?

Just try to make it as realistic as you can. If you're practicing with friends, then have them bat (ideally with a keeper) but mark out 'fielders' with cones or similar. Get yourself into a match frame of mind and go with it.

Likewise when netting with the team, picture the field in your head and think about what you would be trying to do if out in the middle.

mas cambios;391704 said:
Just try to make it as realistic as you can. If you're practicing with friends, then have them bat (ideally with a keeper) but mark out 'fielders' with cones or similar. Get yourself into a match frame of mind and go with it.

Likewise when netting with the team, picture the field in your head and think about what you would be trying to do if out in the middle.

Well we are at season's end here where I live. I'm playing football for now, but I think I'll still spend a couple hours per week changing my action. BTW, I forgot to mention that earlier, I made some fundamental changes to my action, but I had practiced with it a lot and got it right plenty of times. But yeah, I think I'll need to do some more work on my action, the hips and the chest. I think then maybe 1-2 months before the pre season training starts, I'll have some realistic training, or as realistic as I can make it...

dilsl;391682 said:
Okay, thanks to you both.

So I need to calm down and relax, I thought before that something like that might help, because it was mental.

How can I make my practices more realistic? I don't really control what happens at team practices, but I can do whatever I want when I train alone or with a friend. I could use the centre wicket too...anything specific?

Here are some techniques you can try in the nets that you can apply in the game -- and I suppose in real life in dealign with stress.

Try the Navy SEALs technique for dealing with panic. It has been said to have increased the number of graduating students by 30%. Even the hardest of men can struggle in stress/panic related situations, and know that these men can learn to improve their reactions in such situations. The technique is split into four areas:

1) Speak to yourself:
The most simple -- tell yourself you can do it. Studies have shown that by simply speaking to self many physiological effects (not just psychological effects) can occur. In one interesting study, smokers had been seen to have reduced their need to smoke similar to that of a person who applies patches simply by telling the self that they can go on without smoking, by telling the self that they do not need to smoke. Tell yourself you can do it and you may not only improve your ability to handle stress, but also improve your physical limits as you bowl. A great way to get into the "zone".

2) Plan:
Panic, stress, and fear arise from a particular section of the emotional part of the brain. By planning you trigger the action of the rational part of your brain. The effects of your emotions become less powerful, and less noticeable by planning. Talk to your captain about plans you can bowl to. Plan for yourself about how you are going to bowl to the batsman.

3) Visualise:
An extension of planning, visualisation activates your imagination, and the visual part of your brain. Visualise each delivery -- and do perhaps what Shane Warne does... visualise the shot you want the batsman to play.

4) Breathe:
This is the greatest pearl of wisdom the SEALS and I can impart on you. A common trait of people using weapons for the first time is their incredible inaccuracy. And many hardened police officers find weapons simulations difficult -- reaction time is hurt, accuracy weakened, and decision making on who to shoot.... well often people make mistakes. In fight or flight situations, the body loses function of its bowels, and your airways begin to tighten (specifically the sphincter). Hence -- go toilet before you play, and breathe WIDER. Let the oxygen in your body, and from the atmosphere go to your brain it can make better calculations, and so it can direct your body more efficiently.

Clarrie Grimmet never bowled a wide in first class cricket and if you have seen his action it's not because of technique.

The single most important thing about bowling is to concentrate and not just concentrate for the sake of it. Concentrate on where you want this ball, not what your bowling plan is or what shot the batsman is playing. If you are targeting the stumps concentrate on the stumps. If you are targeting the head concentrate on the head.

You might think you are concentrating but even greats have been known not to. Greg Chappell's run of ducks was ended by someone telling him to watch the ball.

Okay I'll try implement that 'doctortran'. Now the centre I train at just has nets, but I have access to a centre wicket that I can use. I think I'll set up some stumps at my end, and do the technique mentioned above like I'm bowling in games. Another thing, in the nets I continously bowl and basically never get tired. However in games I feel the need to breathe a lot and tire quickly. Perhaps to do with my breathing patterns. Maybe the technique above will help. Any ideas?

Wow, im glad someone brought this up as i have the exact same problem! Like dilsl suggested i too bowl great at the nets, accurate and with pace but when it came to the match i got called up and bowled full tosses and wides.

Also wanted to mention that i think another factor is you have a sense of security when bowling at the nets whilst in a game you don't. Well that's what i think

Well on Friday I went onto a turf wicket where my club plays sometimes.
I used doctortrans 4 step technique

Marked run up, bowled a few balls, most of them without a ball in my hand, occasioanlly bowled with a ball until I used up a ball. Like I'd ball say 4 balls without a ball, then 2 with, or like 2 without, 1 with, 2 without and 1 with. Until I got my 2 balls to the other end, whatever

Did it on the other side of that pitch. Then went onto the pitch in the square next to it that's like in bad condition with cracks everywhere and did the same. On Saturday bowled pretty really well, no full tosses or wides at all, accurate. :) ill keep this technique up...

Perhaps you ought to try MrSmilez. One major difference I noticed was that my breathing was completely different to before. I tried to breath slowly and in deep breathes, when I was bowling I noticed it felt a lot easier.

Back