Hello, and Good afternoon.

Morbers

Hello, and Good afternoon.

Hi all,

I am Matt or as my handle dicates 'morbers'.

I play 3rd XI cricket down in Sussex as a top/middle order bat and occasional bowler on a sunday when the other fielders fancy a laugh. I bowl natural off breaks with a leg spin action which is a little irritating to say the least as it seems off spinners are two a penny in club cricket. My action mostly resembles Paul Adams and I am truely a frog in a blender, I can only guess the amount of strain I put on my back...
Batting wise I am moulded in the Boycott vain, just without the success.

Here on BigCricket I wish to look into, and discuss how to think as a bowler, as I have never really gone through a thought process when bowling, as I only bowl 20 or 30 overs in a season. Equally I would like to find a way of bowling a legbreak, only way I can get any leg to off movement is with a cutter.

Batting wise I wish to attempt to work out why I do score slowly and also to see if I can iron out some technique floors, such as little foot movement and a relience square on the off side dabing to third man.

If anyone can point me into some relevent threads then I would be greatful.

On a side note, if you have not worked out by now, I am an unotherdox cricketer probably steming form me being left handed but bowling and batting right handed, yet playing other 'bat' or 'raquet' sports left handed. Batting wise I bat more like Peter Willey just not so extreme in my front foot being outside leg stump.
I doubt I will be making any major changes to my base postion or action in bowling/batting so am looking for smaller changes if possible. It could, for all I know, be down to me using a heavy bat or wearing a thigh Gaurd!

I am also a ECB level one coach, and have to fight my instincts when coaching young Kids, I don't think we need anymore Paul Adams. ALthough it begs the question that if it works for you, why stop it. While I don't bowl often I have taken 10 or so wickets in 20 or so overs this season, which is not exactly a bad return.

Sorry for the ramble... I can elaberate on my bowling/batting action and theorys if requested. I like to think of myself as a thinking cricketer, but that may or may not be true.

oh, and 8-2 offside fields are where it is at....

Re: Hello, and Good afternoon.

Hello and welcome! That is quite an intro there. I would suggest starting off in the spin bowling threads and working your way out - plenty of friendly faces there!

Ok, thanks. Yes, sorry for the long intro...
I guess that with me not being over prepared to make massive changes to my technique that it could be harder to iron out many faults, but I doubt I would be able to relearn the basics now, or not easily anyho, and seeing as I am fairly lazy the less work the better.

Well, Hi! Morbers. What a great intro! Don't apologise, it's great to get to know somebody so well. You are a psychotherapist's dream :D. I hope you stick around... sounds like you've found a home ;).

As mas says, the guys in the spin bowling frat house will see you right but also have a look at http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t71854/ for your batting.

Hiya
I highly recommend the forum for spin bowlers (Spin Bowling - BigCricket) it is possibly the best and most helpful place you will find for spin on the net :)
Also , you got welcomed by Liz, thats a good start :p
Hopefully see you around !

Back