helloo guys

Re: helloo guys

bboy0001;378200 said:
hey dave, what is a gripper? it looks really weirdon ur picture

Ha ha! A couple of years back I was bowling wrong uns and Flippers and thought 'What'll happen if I bowl a Flipper but out the back of the hand like a Wrong Un. I tried it and was amazed that over a short distance initially it produced a massive leg break. I worked on it for months and as I got the length the amount of turn off the wicket reduced but still produced a fairly decent leg break if bowled slow. It seemed to me that I'd inadvertently invented a delivery combining the 2 deliveries e.g. Flipper/Googly = Gipper! Then a year or so ago I was introduced to the work of Clarrie Grimmett by a bloke on this forum (Macca) and followed this lead up and got my hands on one of Grimmetts books from 1930. Grimmetts accredited with inventing many of the principles of Wrist Spin and inventing the Flipper and reading the book I then came across a description of a Flipper bowled out of the back of the hand that turned off the wicket as a Leg Break but looking like a Wrong Un. He called it 'The Wrong Wrong Un' (This is 80 years ago). Grimmett like me tried it for several years and eventually dropped it in favour of the also very obscure 'Top-Spinning Flipper' which again you'll probably only ever find reference to on this forum.

So the Gipper is in fact 'The wrong wrong un' and like Grimmett have decided that it's not that useful!

Dave

Back