High catching

maverick

High catching

Hello,

Recently, I was playing a very close game and the opposition were chasing our modest 220, and they lost 7 wickets with about 40 odd runs and a set batsman still in. I was fielding at long on on the ropes and the set batsman hit it really high, long and hard, and I dropped a catch that usually is regulation for me. There was a bit of breeze with the ball and it reached me around my neck area. I usually catch with palm facing my face, and it was an awkward height for me. I am don't know what happened, but I should have held on to that.

I am a pretty good fielder, but sometimes I just drop absolutely easy ones under pressure. How can I improve?? Is there a reference for catching technique??

Thanks in advance

Re: High catching

It's a combination of things, from the pressure to the breeze. High catching is not easy, not least because you generally have a long time to think about things. The key is to get a nice, stable base, keep your eyes on the ball and try to let the ball come to you, rather than snatching at it.

Some info here - How to catch with soft hands | Cricket coaching, fitness and tips and the BBC have info on catching.

As for drills, you have to replicate a game as best as you can. Have two batsman running as you take a catch or simply just spend 10 - 15 mins taking high ones. Have a game with a few mates, see who can take the most/highest etc - all add pressure in some way.

Hi Mas,

Yup got together with couple of my mates and after a few attempts, I realized that the problem was that I wasn't watching the ball all the way into my hands, I would watch it until it reached me, then take my eyes off the ball.

It's a good feeling when you know what went wrong, rather than hoping that "things will just work out" :D

cheers

There are two ways to take a high outfield catch.

1. With your fingers pointing out and your hands half way up your midriff, you catch the ball below your eye-line, or

2. With your fingers pointing above your forehead and your hands level with your face. You catch the ball obove your eye-line

Ian Chappell (1) and Mark Taylor (2) both advocate for one or the other (and who would argue with them about catching?) but I like what Tubby said on it.

He states that when you take the ball at above head height, you watch it all the way into your hands and your head is steady. But when you catch at stomach level, there is a split second just before you catch the ball when you have to move your head down and you lose sight of the ball.

Back