• Hilfenhaus ahead of Siddle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Siddle ahead of Hilfenhaus

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Siddle in and someone else out

Votes: 20 90.9%

• Total voters
Re: Hilfenhaus V Siddle

Siddle's test in India wasn't too bad. At that stage I would have been pushing for them to play Hilfy but now I see he's not ready. He has potential but he's not ready at the moment.

We played Lee and White over there and they should never have been played, they aren't good enough.

I would take hilfy in a heartbeat! He is the only bowler who is able to move the ball in the air and will be alot more suited to test matches if given the chance. If siddle had to bowl the last few overs in a odi with the field up with these powerplays we would all be saying hes a dud he gets slapped, its just hilfys oppertunites have come in a format not suited to bowlers. Personally i think hilfy could take 250 test wickets if given a game. i would also rather both hilfy and siddle played the first test in SA and they pissed off Bollinger.

20/20 does suite bowlers, but only good bowlers. Bowlers who bowl inaccurate pace and can't bowl yorkers get slapped. Spinners who don't bowl accurate and don't move the ball get slapped.

Bowlers who are accurate and can move the bowl have good success in 20/20. 20/20 cricket is a game for good hard hitting batsmen and good bowlers.

If Hilfy was able to bowl full (like James Brayshaw was saying in his commentry the other night) he would be in the test side for sure. Either he is stupid, unskilled or the bowling coach is a dud because he hasn't been able to get this right appart from the odd ball.

Maby he lacks confidence in ODI and 20/20 cricket and doesn't bowl full and is afrade of going for runs. But saying that when he noticed it was swinging in a couple of matches he should have been able to adjust his length and bowl full. Suggests to me he has no controll and/or no cricket brain like Brett Lee.

As for Bollinger he has the wickets behind him and a few consistant seasons and he is a swing bowler. He's taller than Hilf and can bang it into the wicket and get assistance from that when the ball isn't swinging. He appears more accurate too.
I am fairly sure Hilf does swing the ball more (when he bowls full) but we can't have him in the test side bowling his pies wasting the new ball. Not until he starts bowling well.

If we pick McDonald as the all rounder that pretty much rules Hilf out as McDonald is a swing bowler.

Perhaps we need Damien Fleming coaching the Aussie swing bowlers. He really knows his stuff when it comes to bowling swing and was a good bowler for Australia.

gbatman;326360 said:
Siddle's test in India wasn't too bad. At that stage I would have been pushing for them to play Hilfy but now I see he's not ready. He has potential but he's not ready at the moment.

We played Lee and White over there and they should never have been played, they aren't good enough.

Everyone likes to slag of Ponting when we lose but you have to give Ponting some credit. Before the Indian series he said, at least privately, that he didn't think Lee should tour India because of his personal problems and the fact that he didnt have match fitness. He said Lee shouldn't tour and he was right. He thought that Lee should have stayed at home and played shield cricket and got some match fitness rather then go to India half-cooked. It took everyone else, including the hotshot journos, until the MCG test to realise that Lee was either injured / or out of form.

Ponting had been saying it to the selectors before the Indian tour.

Hilfenhaus is better with the red ball, his domestic statistics reflect that.

Ponting would know, he would face the bowlers in the nets and know what's coming out. Lee's seam position all tour was terrible, his pace was way down and his aggression and cricket brain was not up to standard. He's just not that good. When he was bowling 150km+ he was worth while but bowling 140km/h with a scrambled rabble seam, no variation, no bouncers and yorkers he's rubbish. I really doubt he'll be back although there was a time when he bowled fairly quick with a good outswing seam position but he could never controll his swing very well and wasted it a bit.

So changing the colour of the ball will change Hilf's lenght? If he gets a game lets hope so.

My point is that Ponting should have a large say of what the bowling attack should be. His the one who is going to cop it if his attack doesnt take wickets. Ponting didn't want Lee on the Indian tour, it was nothing personal, he just didn't think he was in the right frame of mind to tour. He all but showed this when he didn't bowl Lee in a session at the 2nd test match, Lee was bowling absolute pies.

Same with White, he will not bowl him. I agree, Ponting should have a big say on who from the squad is played. Probably shouldn't have as big a say with selecting the squad. Surely the selectors can get that right!

Back