How long will Australia be on top

Rohitpatel

How long will Australia be on top

What do you think will Australia be the number 1 for how long. Many australian players are getting old now. I think anything cant last forever so australias dominance has to end. I dont know much about the future players for australia. How good are they?

Re: How long will Australia be on top

You would have to say that they have enough talent to be the worlds number 1 team for the next 5 years or so.

A lot will depend on the guys coming through but the flashes that we've seen suggest that they are not going to start losing series overnight.

Personally, I think that they will remain strong with the bat but will struggle to replace McGrath and Warne. A test team is lucky if they see a true great once a generation to have 2 in the same team is very rare.

Australia will be on top for a long time with a potential for a short amount of time at second place.

To put it short:
-Their domestic system is the most competitive and highest level in the world by a long way.
-Their batsmen naturally have good hand-eye coordination and are coached the best from a young age.
-Their fast bowlers are the tallest in the world and all realise in an early point in their careers that they have to be different to succeed. This produces prodigious talent such as Kasprowitz's 85mph off cutters off a short run, Shaun Tait's 100mph thunderbolts and accuracy such as Mcgrath's.
-They are naturally very good atheletes with a competitive attitude.

Without Mcgrath and Warne, they will not reach the heights of test match domination that was achieved before but will no doubt still remain on top.

For every Mcgrath, there are at least three to look to take his place in the team, all have domestic average's around 27 (which is very good for Australian domestic level) and all have a certain X-factor about them.

Hilfenhaus: Ability to swing the ball significently at 135kph.
Tait: Ability to bowl 160kph whilst getting late swing.
Johnson: 2m tall and ability to push 150kph with the left arm factor.

This is not to mention others like Noffke who just took five against the Sri Lankan national batting line up.

Replacing Warne will be more difficult for Australia but with Warne-fever striking at about 10 years ago, the generation whose first matches watched included Warne, spinning Australia to victory will be in the youth systems now. For now, they also have Hogg and MacGill who are both extremely talented. This is not to mention Aaron Heal who is rated highly by some as a future prospect.

Both the immediate and long term future are safe for Australia. I feel the only country with a possible threat is India (no bias here) in December because of their flawless batting line up with two inform openers, four greats in the middle order, a handy wicket keeper-batsman and a tail that can more than wag with the potential for the all-rounder Pathan at eight!

I have to say that I think they'll miss Warne the most, not just because of his bowling but for the knowledge of the game he offered.

Some games he seemed to grab the entire team by the scruff of the neck and give them a boost, not many players are able to do that, even less do it on a regular basis.

australia have new players for old player when they retire.... i think if other teams dont improve there consistency than australia will always be at top.

Dont worry about that the future is bright for us. we'll be on top for long time unless one of the teams step up to the plate. the next generation of aussies are good enough for that. the likes of chris rogers and dave hussey should get chances soon.

i we think we are the only ones who can challenge them. sri lanka were pretty poor and i dont think india will be able to do much against them too. we have a quality bowling attack which can trouble their batting lineup and our batsman are quite capable of performing well more so now that they lost glen mcgrath and warne.

I really can't see South Africa making a serious challange to Australia.

You may have the players but like England you lack the mental age. Maybe worse than England you are also bottlers - not a good thing to have on your record at all.

Plus you have a few ageing players so it's not looking that great.

By far this is the most interesting post; where players from different countries are claiming to be the right team to defeat the Australian cricket team.
Don't we all love to defeat the Australian cricket team ;)
But by far the domestic structure is so good there is always a replacement.
Look at the current side itself; Opener Jacques in place of Justin scored a Century and Michael Clarke and Andrew are also making the most of the given opportunity.
Stuart Clark,Lee,Johnson,Shaun Tait and many more are the fast bowling attack.
Yes;Spin Department is a problem with warney retired;but Stuart Macgill,Brad can carry for a season by that time another young spinner will be ready.
They will be a strong side :)

MacGill actually takes his wickets quicker than warne did... maybe we were better off against Warne.... :p

Frankly, oz have the toughest batting, bowling and fielding line-up in the world. Hussy now averages in the eighties... :eek:hmy: the next ashes series is gonna be tough for us pommies. If oz gain the psychological edge early on, then we'll lose. At least 1 test match is in wales... so we know at least 1 match will be a draw! ;)

National sides need to try to emulate the aussies in their discipline -look at NZ against SA today, totally capitulated from 84-1 at lunch! If that had been oz, brett lee would've stuck around for a coupla hours and they'd have ground out 250+ (remember glenn mcgrath and mike hussey against SA last time they met, in that phenomenal partnership, think it was around 100! :mad:)

Australia will remain "ontop of test cricket for some time...
as for Twenty20 and ODI's however...
Australia didnt even make the Twenty20 world cup finals. enough said.
And difficult to say with ODI's.. it is definately between Australia and South Africa.
they are both close in ICC ODI rankings.. 5 points in it.
And you just have to look at the 2005/06 ODI series they played against each other. the massive 430+innings scores...both sides have good depth..aussie batting depth is unmatched and the S.A fast bowling attack is powerful... if the South Africans can sort out their middle order batting ( Kemp, De villiers etc..) then i think the sides are evenly matched...

hard to say.

have to feel sympathetic towards New Zealand and Sri Lanka at this time tho... :laugh:

we have performed badly in t20s but its not australian to lose. i think we will get on top of t20 soon. in tests our batting looks solid but there are some problems in our bowling i.e. mitchel johnson.

india has best record against australia.....i hope it can be a close series...if our bowlers are in form then we can challenge australia

No I dont think so our bowling is poor and inconsistent. I think Australia will be on top until there players like Gilchrist,Pointing and Hayden retire.

Form and fitness of our bowlers will be clear by the end of home test series against Pakistan.
After that we can be confident about our team :)

Back