I will play for World cup 2007 - GANGULY

indiancricketer

Former captain speaks

'I will play in the 2007 World Cup' - Ganguly

Cricinfo staff

January 7, 2006

'I'm not an insecure man. I am not dependant on cricket for my life' - Sourav Ganguly

Sourav Ganguly has expressed confidence of playing in the 2007 World Cup and believes he has "lot to offer to Indian cricket as a batsman". Citing his record in the one-dayers in 2004 (Ganguly was the third highest run-getter after Rahul Dravid and Kumar Sangakkara) in an interview to The Hindustan Times Ganguly said: "I do not agree that I lost form in the one-day format. But such things have not happened to me alone. All players go through a lean patch, it happens in a game like cricket. ...I am still good enough to give Indian cricket something back. I will be back in the Indian one-day squad and I will play in the 2007 World Cup".

Dona Ganguly, his wife, offered a rare insight on her husband's mindset on the recent controversies, "This whole Greg-Sourav saga has left him shattered but he never shows it." For his part Ganguly said, "There is no problem and he [Chappell] has told Sharad Pawar that he has no problem with me. I have read a lot in the newspapers about the whole issue, but apart from the email that Chappell sent to the board, the rest is mere speculation and I would not like to believe it."

Ganguly also expressed his gratitude to Pawar for talking to the senior players and later telling the media "that all the stories regarding my creating problems in the team are not true. He is the man who cleared my name." He also termed Dravid as a "great player and a great team man to have" and voiced his wishes and support for Dravid's captaincy. "He is turning out to be an outstanding captain. But let me add one thing. It is easier to captain at home as a lot of things fall into a set pattern. It is much more difficult to captain outside your own country. Rahul will realize that but I am sure he will respond well to pressure."

Looking ahead on his career, he said, "I don't have to prove to the world I can play. I will go out and give my best shot. I am confident I will succeed. But even if I don't it won't be the end of my life. ...I'm not an insecure man. I am not dependant on cricket for my life. If I fail I will think of something else".

? Cricinfo

Well, that's good of him to announce his goal. Somewhat how Steve Waugh hinted that he wanted to conquer the final frontier (beat India in India). But the Aussie selectors went about their way and gave him one last series against India. I think Ganguly may be able to make it, but he needs to hit a purple patch pretty soon.

Well...half the indian team is going to retire after the world cup....Sachin, Rahul, Ganguly, Laxman, Probably Kumble...I don't know though..I'm just guessing...It will be nice though if Ganguly can find some form...the top 6 or 7 i think it was all hit half centurys..which was really good to see...I hope we win =D...GO INDIA!!!

Well...half the indian team is going to retire after the world cup....Sachin, Rahul, Ganguly, Laxman, Probably Kumble[/quote:1hi98zp0]

Yeah, most of our famous batsmen and spinners will be gone after the world cup. We have some nice fast bowlers coming up in the domestic circuit, but there haven't been any exciting spinners recently. None of the batsmen in the Ranjit Trophy have lit the world on fire. So, hopefully, we will find some new talent in the upcoming years.

Last world cup ganguly lead us to finals, hope this WC he brings it home

I like his determination
icon_biggrin.gif

I don't really want to think of WC 07. All the players that i watched growing up are going to be gone. They're all my heroes...
icon_sad.gif

well i hope he strikes some kind of form till the 07 world cup and i hope india win before all the main players Retire

He can only play for the 2007 world cup if he is picked. Hopefully he keeps his form and India makes it to the final where Sachin scores a century leading India to the world cup.

I think most of the current team will be around till WC07. But I think we will slowly phase Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly (if he's there), and Laxman out of the team, after that.

[quote="agent14 ":39chbya5]
He can only play for the 2007 world cup if he is picked. Hopefully he keeps his form and India makes it to the final where Sachin scores a century leading India to the world cup.
[/quote:39chbya5]

he will be selected...due to his experience...just like he got picked for indopak

Ganguly will fair better in the odi's, his expierence will count a lot. I hope his determination pays off.

I actually think Ganguly is better suited for Test cricket, where he can take his time to get settled. When he takes his time to get settled in ODI's, he effectively kills the momentum of the innings.

ganguly will have to prove himself to get back in the team india are looking strong batting wise at the moment but i think if he hits form or even try english county cricket this season and get runs behind there is a chance he will get picked for india. I'm not a big fan of chappells and you have got to give ganguly credit for his strength of character and showing that i will go there and prove to everyone how good i am. His strength is required in the indian team but it depends how is with the team for how he has been treated.

Back