Imbalance

Boris

Imbalance

Some may know already, but in February I had corrective surgery on my shoulder after an injury caused a year ago. This was my left side, and for over a year I had been favouring my right side.

My main sports are (in order of time spent) cricket, baseball and volleyball. As you can see these are all very dominant on my right hand side, especially with the way I play coupled in.

In the last month my body has felt very good and I've gone almost full steam ahead with my normal training. Next year I am picking up baseball again after a few years off and, if they clash, giving cricket a rest for that year. The baseball club I used to play has closed down now so I have to do some research, and I might be able to find a winter season or some other alternative to clashing with my cricket matches, but I just want a season of baseball. Since I've spent some years off I have to get back in practice again. Volleyball over the winter as well should it not clash with anything.

In all sports my strength is power. The fitness testing I just did shows this as well, very high in all areas of power and speed, but below average aerobic capacity and muscular endurance to even things out. This is fine with me as these three sports are primarily power based, even more so for me.

I just came back from Brisbane today after having a baseball coaching session. I'm a right handed pitcher and on the speed gun today I was clocking up 135-140 km/h fastballs, 120 km/h sliders, and I can clear the fence batting quite easily (if I get the right pitch anyway). This is the same with cricket. I'm only an off spin bowler, but I'm able to hit hard and I can flat throw to either stumps from anywhere on the ground thanks to three years of baseball training (that's all it's about - throwing and hitting hard!). I usually surprise even myself with my arm, of all the things in the world it is the one thing I'm most likely to brag about. In volleyball I have a pretty decent spike to say the least as well.

Now after that attempt at bragging I do actually have a question :D. I know how hard baseball and cricket are on the body with rotations and such, especially when you bring above average power into it. Since my sports are very right side dominant, and my gym training is fairly minimal since my time is taken up with skills training, should I be worried about overloading my right side and not giving my left side much to do, especially after a year of restrictive movement? My physio is over now, I might also add.

Re: Imbalance

So would the answer be the obvious, gym work to even things out? Or should I perhaps take up bowling half my overs left handed? :D

My preferred option would be the latter...

...though the former would work :D.

These sports are not your only activity. Unfortunately, you need to work, DIY, drive, chase a bus etc. Having a noticeable difference is going to cause discomfort or injury in the long run.

I have the feeling left handed isn't going to work for sports I'm afraid, had a hit around for volleyball after work yesterday, jumped up for a left handed spike, missed and it landed square on top of my head. Judging by that I'll have to work on the alternative. :D

So the idea is to go at the maximum my left side can go until it catches up to my right? Common sense stuff I'm presuming.

If we are talking common sense...

...train both sides the same [sets, reps, resistance etc]. Work the left first [unilaterally] and keep to that max for the right. When they even up, you can train bilaterally.

Have a go at batting LHed too :).

Yes I was thinking that.

Batting LH isn't too bad, especially in baseball where I can switch hit with some success, but I think my pride stops me from batting left handed in cricket after only a few balls :D.

[offtopic]

So I was in town the other day, and there was this little old lady trying to use the cash machine (ATM ). She didn't really understand it and was shouting at it "HOW MUCH MONEY HAVE I GOT?" etc
I thought i'd give her a hand, so I went over and asked her if she was ok, and she said " Oh yes young man, can you check my balance?"

So I pushed her over.

Back