IPL teams and franchise owners announced

AB

IPL teams and franchise owners announced

The configuration of the BCCI-backed Indian Premier League (IPL) became clearer with the announcement of the eight cities and franchisees to be involved in the tournament. Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad were the most expensive teams, each costing over US$100 million.

The list of franchise owners are (all amounts in US$): Vijay Mallya's UB group (Bangalore, 111.6 million), India Cements (Chennai, 91 million), GMR group (Delhi 84 million), Deccan Chronicle (Hyderabad, 107 million), a consortium led by Emerging Media (Jaipur, 67 million), Shah Rukh Khan's Red Chillies Entertainment (Kolkata, 75.09 million), Preity Zinta, Ness Wadia, Karan Paul and Dabur's Mohit Burman (Mohali, 76 million) and Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Industries Limited (Mumbai, 111.9 million).
Full Story

The base price for bidding was set at US $50 million by BCCI, but some of the bids were considerably higher with Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad bidding over USD 100 million. Earlier this month Sony and World Sports Group had bagged the television rights for the tournament for more than $1 billion. Overall, the Indian Premier League has already made over USD 1.4 billion. Clearly the IPL has been a big success for BCCI in financial terms.

Re: IPL teams and franchise owners announced

A total of $723,590,000 :eek:
Surely that is more than any other board own! If the BCCI cannot cataylise growth of domestic standards with this, they truly are useless.

Which is roughly equal to Rs. 28,61,79,84,500. Compared to this the players are hardly earning anything. I hope they do use a large part of this money for the betterment of Indian cricket.

You have to put it into perspective with the amount of money the likes of McGrath will be earning compared to the average Indian player.

Not really fair but then they are the ones who draw the crowds I guess.

Agree with manee, if they can't sort the game out with that much money floating around there is something very wrong.

AB said:
I hope they do use a large part of this money for the betterment of Indian cricket.

If they do, then I can see no reason why India cannot be world beaters within the next ten to twenty years.

Well regarding the domestic players' earnings I think the franchises are responsible for paying them so its not really up to BCCI what kind of money they earn. The BCCI has made sure that the top Indian players get even richer. The top five Indian cricketers who have been recognized by BCCI as 'icon players' - Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid, Yuvraj Singh and Mahendra Singh Dhoni will get paid about 10-15% more than the highest auctioned player.

BCCI can use this money for a lot of good things. I'd like to see these millions of dollars being put into improving the standard of domestic cricket, but I think BCCI are going to keep a large amount of this money for themselves.

AB said:
I'd like to see these millions of dollars being put into improving the standard of domestic cricket, but I think BCCI are going to keep a large amount of this money for themselves.

Well, you have to have a rainy day fund!

Seriously, they could do so much good for Indian cricket, better pitches, train more players, better grounds etc.

I know that they are already researching ways to make Kashmir Willow better than English through selected breeding programs - that is another area that could do with investment.

Having had a bit more of a read into it, it strikes me that this has to be done correctly or may well harm the twenty20 cash cow.

44 games in 59 day is a lot and it would be really easy for the public to get bored and look elsewhere. Deep down I can't help feeling that they would have been better going for a short snappy tournament - I guess time will tell on this one.

Almost_Austwick said:
Having had a bit more of a read into it, it strikes me that this has to be done correctly or may well harm the twenty20 cash cow.

44 games in 59 day is a lot and it would be really easy for the public to get bored and look elsewhere. Deep down I can't help feeling that they would have been better going for a short snappy tournament - I guess time will tell on this one.

I agree. 44 games is far too much!

Money is the main motive here. They wouldn't have made as much money if it was going to be just a 20 game tournament.

The games are going to be held on weekends and on one week day. So BCCI are making sure that the matches get maximum viewers. I don't think the public in India will get bored of the cricket. The danger is that if this is a huge success then BCCI will want India to play a lot more Twenty20 games instead of ODIs and Tests. The one off Twenty20 game between India and Australia was a big success. The sponsors spent almost as much money on it as the whole 7 ODI tournament.

Surprising to see that bollywood stars SRK and Preity Zinta brought the teams. Maybe they can then use it for the publicity of their movies. Vijay Mallya is too rich. He already has a F1 team and now a cricket team too. I hope these people will improve the cricket level and give youngster a chance in the team.

It would be nice to see the money being earned (and there is a fair bit of that) being inserted straight into grass roots cricket in india. Because there is no reason why another Sachin can't be unearthered if some of the poorer places had good quality training facilities and grounds

With big amount of money being rolled out.I doubt wether any deserving or upcoming talented player will be included.
To recover their heavily invested money;big shot players will be made to play most of the matches.

all teams have to play at least 4 domestic players....so at least some youngsters will get opportunity..

Back