Is this Allowed?

macaroon9

sC Player of the Month - July '08
Is this Allowed?

I was just watching a bit old match, for the last run everyone came in, and yuvraj hit it over the infield and no one was there, a fan(probably) came in and picked up the ball and threw towards them and india won the match...
my question is that is allowed as the ball didnt touch the boundary and still india won....

Re: Is this Allowed?

mas cambios;386511 said:
Do you have a link to the match in question? Or at least the date and opponents?

have a look at this as well while you're at it YouTube - Cricket - some less common modes of dismissal the dismissal at the end of the video. Some of the comments with the video suggest that you can no longer be given out in this way - surely that's not true is it?

The ginger bloke in your avatar I saw that last night on =3 - that's quite funny!

They amended the law, at least for outdoor cricket.

From wiki (which I'm sure you've seen)

Since then the Laws of cricket have changed, so that a bowler may no longer Mankad a batsman once he has entered into his delivery stride. However, under Law 42.15 of the Laws of Cricket it remains possible for a bowler to run out a non-striker who has strayed outside his crease after he has started his run up, but before he has entered his delivery stride. [Appendix D of the 2000 Code defines delivery stride as the stride during which the delivery swing is made; it starts when the bowler's back foot lands for that stride and ends when the front foot lands in the same stride.]

In indoor cricket Mankading is still permitted. When this happens the batsman is actually given out 'mankad' rather than 'run out'.

Makes sense I suppose but then again it is a stupid way to get out.

macaroon9;386454 said:
I was just watching a bit old match, for the last run everyone came in, and yuvraj hit it over the infield and no one was there, a fan(probably) came in and picked up the ball and threw towards them and india won the match...
my question is that is allowed as the ball didnt touch the boundary and still india won....

I'm guessing they only needed 1 or 2 runs to win and had already completed the runs

gandalf;386527 said:
I'm guessing they only needed 1 or 2 runs to win and had already completed the runs

That was my thinking but I'm interested in seeing the scorecard to see if anything has been noted about the game.

This is an issue that captains and umpires have to decide before the match, but the standard arrangement is that anything that comes onto the field of play from beyond the boundary is counted as the boundary, so if a member of the crowd (or a stray animal for that matter) comes onto the pitch and make contact with the ball while it is live it is counted as a boundary.

However... if the batsmen had already run the required number the game would end at the point the winning run was completed.

Back