Issue over Chappell's comments cease to die down

indiancricketer

By a Correspondent

Rawalpindi, February 9, 2006

Indian coach Greg Chappell's description of Shoaib Akhtar's action as being "seriously different" continues to draw angry reactions here and the latest of these come from the Pakistani players, who believe that the Aussie's comments smack of arrogance.

Quoting unnamed players in the Pakistan team, a local newspaper said the squad was very upset by Chappell's remarks on Akhtar's action. Chappell's comment is just one more example of the Aussies believing they have a right to speak on any issue without knowing about its repercussions", the paper quoted a senior player as saying.

"We are happy the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has, at least, decided to make an issue out of it and wrote a letter to the match referee as Chappell had no business making such comments when the International Cricket Council (ICC) has cleared his (Akhtar's) bowling action", he added.

Another player said if the Indians had any problem with Akhtar's action, they could have gone to the ICC instead of making such comments. "If any Pakistani official had made such comments he would have been immediately penalized. Even if they (Indian team) have any problem with Akhtar's action they should have written to the ICC instead of giving out statements implying many things", he said.

Earlier, Greg Chappell had raised questions on the legality of Akhtar's action saying that there was something seriously different about it. His comments drew criticism from PCB, which reported the matter to the ICC.

Later, the ICC's Technical Committee chairman Sunil Gavaskar said that no bowler is cleared for ever by the cricket's governing body and the field umpires are free to report the same bowler again if they find his action suspicious.

Chappell is friggin right......

I mean c'mon, every one has the right to their own opinions.. I have the same opinion as Chappell..In fact, I say it in a more blatant way "Shoaib chucks....." He is a plain chucker....

I agree with Bedi on chuckers....

Still, as the coach of an international team he has to zip it sometimes. How many people take offense when Murali is called a chucker? It's the same thing. They've both got controversial actions and they've both been cleared by the ICC. Opinions will come and go, but the facts as the ICC sees them, will remain.

Back