Knee Injury Rehab

abhiscenter

Knee Injury Rehab

Hey guys,
Couple of months ago, I twisted my left Knee a little right when i was about to deliver the ball. I heard a little pop and had a stiff knee for couple of weeks. I was limping in the 1st week but I was walking since then. Now I still have the pain and on the outer side knee bottom left side of the patella. i want to recover as soon as possible. So can you guys recommend me some helpful excercises so i can recover asap.
Please ask me if you need any more details,
Thank you
A.V

Re: Knee Injury Rehab

Sounds like you've done some ligament damage. I'm not a doctor but the description you've given is similar to the serious knee injuries sustained in the Australian Football League (AFL) over here. Players that do ligament damage tend to hear a pop or a noise when one of the ACL or PCL becomes damaged. If you've done one of those, you're generally looking at at least 8 weeks on the sidelines.

I'm sure Liz will be able to shed more info though. The best advice I can give would be to stay away from playing sport and see a doctor (again, that is only my personal opinion).

Sorry to hear Sounds very similar to a ruptured ACL. The lay off for one of those is a little but longer than 8 week - try 8 months.

I popped my ACL in July '09 trying to split-dodge the man on the mark when kicking out from full back. The knee swelled, and I was walking on it the next day. I was able to cycle and swim with minimal discomfort approximately a week or two after it (not knowing that my ACL had ruptured). I knew something was wrong, although i read that you can get by W/O and ACL. I went 6 months with slight discomfort before I decided to get the reco done. Although playing cricket, I believe that have the Reconstruction is the best possible outcome.

Liz, if you don't mind me asking, what is it exactly that you do?

As for rehab, I recommend all the basic gym equipment exercises, cycling and swimming. Then at the 3 month mark, start complicated exercises such as skipping, and proprioceptive exercises (such as balance/wobble boards) and light jogging.

Cheers Danny

DannyGannon;408506 said:
...Liz, if you don't mind me asking, what is it exactly that you do?

No worries Danny and welcome!

As Director of Sport Injury Management, that is pretty much what I do :D.

Primarily, my work involves sport recovery with Premiership rugby and football clubs and International sports people. This involves soft tissue work as well as strength and conditioning. I am a L5 Soft Tissue Therapist, PT, Advanced Gym Instructor and L3 Fitness Adviser. As a psychologist, mental skills preparation and mental toughness is also quite a large component.

Occasionally I coach cricket in schools and used to run Cricket Parties, although I am going to allow my membership of the ECB CA lapse this year as most of my work is in biomechanics/performance analysis with seniors.

Hope this helps :).

Sounds like you're heavily involved with sports science. Seems like you guys have some interesting articles devoted to sports science and cricket too.

What kind of conditioning exercises would you recommend for returning cricketer's involved with batting/wicket keeping?

Too bad you were involved with the ECB! (just kiddin'). How do you think the Poms will go against the Aussies this year?

Cheers

DannyGannon;408600 said:
...What kind of conditioning exercises would you recommend for returning cricketer's involved with batting/wicket keeping?

That depends on what you have been doing in the meantime Danny. I take it that, other from your injury last year, you are still active and that you have been given the 'all clear' to return.

I find I am always throwing David's sourced programme around but it realy is extremely good and can be adapted for most abilities:
[ http://www.pitchvision.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/harrowdrive_turbulence_training_4-week_bww.pdf ]

Do pay particular attention to page 3 :D.

The advice is a great start; a springboard to more advanced work.

http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t57579/ is also worth reading, there are some good posts for the guys.

DannyGannon;408600 said:
...Too bad you were involved with the ECB! (just kiddin'). How do you think the Poms will go against the Aussies this year?

Now that's a question :D. I just hope it will be worth watching... the closer, the better!

Back