Making nets Purposeful

mas cambios

Making nets Purposeful

Now, I'm sure that I'll be teaching a few of you to suck eggs but this maygive someone else an 'eureka' moment as it did with me earlier.

I'm lucky enough to use the Indoor cricket school at Glamorgan to net in (no more short run ups!) and often you find a lot of left over training instructions for the squad at Glamorgan. Whilst waiting around for our turn to net, I started to read a few of the training plans that had been left on the walls, which is when the big 'lightbulb' went off in my head.

Basically, they set each net session up with a scenario - for both bowlers and batsman. For the batsman an example might be - it's a new session, you're coming in at 70-4 on a bowler friendly wicket.

Bowlers may have something like:

No 'no balls', aim to make the batsman play only on the offside

Simple yet so effective, and in a way embarrassing as although I have always tried to make full use of nets etc, it never occurred to me to set scenarios in this way. Usually it was a case of just get some bowling practice in.

As I said, it might be something that a few others have never thought of, so I'm happy to admit that I'm an eejit. Using a 'scenario' really helped my nets tonight, it gave me something to focus on and aim for, which, I feel made the session even more productive.

Give it a go, it can't do any harm!

Re: Making nets Purposeful

Excellent tip. If you can't get many practice matches in (winter in the UK is a bit tricky after all) then it's perfect.

Great post A_A! This is a topic I've been thinking about quite a bit lately. I'm approaching nets differently from tonight onwards. At our club, first-team bowlers run in and bowl to first-team batsmen. Seconds to seconds and so forth. There doesn't seem to be any plan of action except to run in and bowl or bat.

I've read up quite a bit on this and in Greg Chappell's book he mentioned that when he used to go for nets, would ask Dennis Lillee and others what field they were bowling to. That way he knew which shots he could play and where the gaps are. His net sessions had a purpose, done at game intensity, simulating match conditions. He also mentioned an example while coaching he would ask his batsmen what their plan of action was before going into nets. One player told him that he was going to practice his cover drives, to which Chappell responded, "Well what are you going to do if the bowlers don't bowl you deliveries to drive?" It just makes so much sense yet it is seldomly done at club practices. Also practices out in the middle would help with match scenarios as well as help with running between wickets. He also mentions an example where there are 100 runs to chase down in a certain amount of overs. The bowlers have to restrict or bowl out the batsmen and batsmen have to chase down the target.

So coming back to your post, I think the elite level teams and players use these scenario methods for practices but it doesn't get used enough at club level and I think it'll improve one's game immensely. I know that David is a keen fan of this as he mentions this on Harrowdrive as well. I'm definitely going to try some of these methods and approach my net sessions with more of a purpose.

I've used stuff like that, when I was facing this spinner from my team who has only taken 2 wickets this season, but when he's onsong, you can't face him. I was just aiming to survive, survive survive. You might say I should of still looked for some runs, but thing is, you couldn't.

But I think I need some of this for my bowling. I go out there just to take wickets of the guys I'm bowling to, or fool them with a variation, but I lack that intensity, I need something to aim for or something like that, and I mean no no ball and everything on the offside comes natural for me, that's too easy for me personally, any suggestions?

I guess it is harder to bowl to a situation because the batsman might not bat to that situation.

Jonesy said:
I guess it is harder to bowl to a situation because the batsman might not bat to that situation.

Well Jonesy, maybe you and the batsman can challenge each other in some way during nets. Eg. You set your imaginary field to him, so that you guys both know the parameters so to say. If he hits the ball in the air to one of those "fielders" he's out and you get a wicket. He hits it between two "fielders" he gets a run or two or 4 depending on how your field is set and the likelihood of your "fielders" saving the runs. He hits it directly to the fielders he gets no runs. So in other words you guys are actually having a match within the nets. At the end of the session you've got however many wickets for how ever many runs conceded and the batsman's got however many runs for wickets lost. When you go into to bat and he bowls, its the change of innings and you try and beat his score. Just a suggestion. ;)

Jonesy said:

That's why it has to be a team led thing in many respects. Like most teams, the club I'm with at the moment use nets as a bit of a social tool and it's almost as if it's only done because it's expected of them. Indeed, they were surprised when I declined a bat as I wanted to continue bowling.

I just use it to set myself lines, areas or targets to bowl at. For example, last night, I wanted to improve my line, so the aim of the session was to get the ball hitting the top of off, or to put it in slightly more of a scenario frame, I wanted the batsman to only be able to play straight or to an off side field.

ShaneS said:
I've read up quite a bit on this and in Greg Chappell's book he mentioned that when he used to go for nets, would ask Dennis Lillee and others what field they were bowling to. That way he knew which shots he could play and where the gaps are. His net sessions had a purpose, done at game intensity, simulating match conditions.

That is the key thing, trying to replicate match conditions. I know that Ian Pont is a big fan of training to match intensity and the more I consider it, the more it makes perfect sense. I just have to convince others that its the right way to go.

Jonesy said:
They'd think I'm crazy xD.

I think thats the thing that inhibits us from trying new things, other people's opinions. If it works for you and you see and an improvement in your game due to trying something different, I'd go for it. Eventually others will see the benefits and buy into it. I'm sure people thought that 20Twenty cricket was a crazy idea when it was first brought to the table and look at how popular it has become. Not the best example but you know what I mean.

Almost_Austwick said:
That's why it has to be a team led thing in many respects... ...I just have to convince others that its the right way to go.

Again I tend to agree with you on that A_A, it has to be done within a team environment and this is where the role of the coach becomes so important. He will have to buy into it first and then implement it within the coaching structure. Its quite tricky though as you don't want the coach to feel as if you're underminding him/her.

ShaneS said:
Again I tend to agree with you on that A_A, it has to be done within a team environment and this is where the role of the coach becomes so important. He will have to buy into it first and then implement it within the coaching structure. Its quite tricky though as you don't want the coach to feel as if you're underminding him/her.

This is where it's doubly tricky for me as I've only just started playing for the club so have to integrate myself within the team first and foremost. Once they get to know me and vice versa, it'll be a lot easier to suggest things.

I think you should perhaps try things one small step at a time with one of your team mates, possibly someone you tend to get along with quite easily and take it from there. I'm not sure how structured your practice sessions are at the club, but perhaps work on one aspect and run it by your coach first ask him if its ok if you work on that for 10 mins or so or even after official practice. Just as a way of getting them to see that you're not just messing around and that you're willing to put in the extra effort. Its still tricky though, I have several ideas that I'd like to see implemented at my club but haven't been brave enough to do suggest to the coaches yet. I'm also fairly new at my club. I'm trying to work on some of these ideas on my own either before or after practice for my own benefit but also implement some during practice eg. when batting or bowling, and then hopefully as I become more comfortable with the coaching staff make the suggestions.

Doing scenarios is great, we tend to do this most of the time anyway (last 6 balls, 12 to win). You can also set fields with cones or a whiteboard that the batsman and bowlers look at at the start of the net. I also put rolled up cones into the side netting at knee and shoulder height, to simulate easy catches, if the batsman hit the ball into the coned area, they are out caught.

If you are going to set scenarios or targets, you must have someone controlling it, whether this is the club umpire getting his eye in pre-season or the coach, it your going to train as a match, have the bodies in match positions.

Another good purposeful net is a fitness net, usually best with bowling machine. Put a cone 1/3rd from batting crease and each time you face a ball, run to cone and back. Not only is this good for fitness, it's good for getting used to pinching quick singles (unlike the England team).

leggeb4 said:
Another good purposeful net is a fitness net, usually best with bowling machine. Put a cone 1/3rd from batting crease and each time you face a ball, run to cone and back. Not only is this good for fitness, it's good for getting used to pinching quick singles (unlike the England team).

That is a great idea, makes it a bit more realistic as you're not just standing in your crease waiting for the nest ball.

I think every club does the 12 from 6 at the end of the nets! Sounds a good theory in making the nets work more for you. Will see if we can do something like it next week. Might give some of our guys a perk up after the circuits!

I had started a concept in my Club called as "Net Challenge".I started it with myself.It is used during my batting & bowling in the Nets.Firstly;
Batting: When batting in the nets;I imagine it to a Match scenario and start playing with a straight bat in "V" and then hitting on the ball's merit.After each shot selection;I cross- check with my Captain to the score of that delivery.At the last round;I am given a target say(12-14 runs off 6 balls).It gives an idea about the scoring opportunity and shot selection.
Bowling: when bowling to a batsmen;it is the same approach.He is new to the crease and will look to play straight and blocking his scoring shots is the main target.Once he is also given a target;the batsmen purely on his instinct will try to score quick runs.That is an another challenge to contain him and take his wicket.
Overall the exercise in the nets is mind draining but prepares me for Match situation.
Now the other's have also followed the same system.So it is pleasure & practice.

I use nets to

a) try new things
b) adopt suggested approaches

I had club nets on Tues. Quite successful actually - in the first team lane and a couple of reasonable new players, one of which is fairly sharp - this then coupled with the fact he's bowling off 21 yards and it is quite a test. Still, I came through it with some pleasant drives. ;)

Making nets purposefull for Wrist Spinners.

I was going to post this in the spin section as a new thread, but decided in the end to resurrect this old one as it's got some stuff already posted that's useful. So Spinners - nets - what do you reckon - useful?

I think there is a bigger question with regards to nets. I am sorry to do this again but...

http://www.pitchvision.com/ditch-the-nets-at-winter-training-to-make-a-better-preseason

What do you think Dave?

I'm not sure if you're aware Liz but out of season Joe, Ben and one or two of their other mates and I practice in these old tennis courts shown below (The picture here was shot back in balmy Nov) and I picked up your message and link just as I'd got in from a practice session with our top spinner Frank and his Dad. We'd invited them to come over at the end of the summer, but I don't think they realised the potential and possibly thought it was a one off idea, but I bumped into them in the adjacent field one afternoon just as I was leaving and I think they thought 'Oh - they do come over here and he wasn't pulling our leg', because since then they've been over there twice now including today and had a really good practice session. Today in spite of the fact that it was 0.5 degrees centigrade and they rang me and asked me if I was going over there? How could I refuse!!!

005.JPG

As you can see its a biggish space, probably a little larger than a sports hall and it's surrounded by an 8' fence. Which means you can hit the ball hard and it never goes so far that people get the ache with having to run miles to retrieve the ball when there's just a few of you. As a consequence the balls retrieved quickly and it's difficult to run 2 if the fielders are on their game, if the fielders mess up - over-throws are a consequence, so communication is key to scoring runs and not getting run out. We mark out extra players with cones and have a rule where if the balls in the air and passes the cones within fielding distance we toss a coin to see whether it was caught or not and this encourages hitting the ball along the ground. We have markers either side of the bowler and if the batsman drives the ball back past the bowler along the ground within the markers they gain extra runs. The set up brings in every single point made in that article...

• Running between the wickets
  • Backing up
  • Calling
  • Judging a run
  • Manipulating the ball into gaps
  • Bowling accuracy
  • Bowling to a plan
  • Chasing a target
  • Setting a target
  • Wicketkeeping
  • Fielder reactions
  • Fielder decision making
  • Fielders backing up
  • Catching
  • Throwing

Hence the reason Frank and his Dad have taken up the idea with us and now look intent on joining us every time we go over there and would probably go over there on their own if we weren't there! Talking to Franks Dad this afternoon about the first net of the season at the club he was saying that Frank had been put in a net with a handful of lads that were bowling the ball consistently wide and as result when he batted he managed to hit the ball twice. Similarly when he bowled the kids couldn't do anything with his bowling because they were of a completely different standard and yet the trainers had said that this was to be his net for the duratin of the nets.

My own son Joe doesn't want to go this week because of the same reason, he's being shown the very basics and feels that he should be given something far more challenging as this is his 4th season coming up. It may be the case that things change for Joe over the coming weeks, but if they don't I'm not sure how Joe will maintain his interest. I'm not that fussed about the whole thing because with the inclusion of Frank, his Dad and the rest of us, our lads if they continue practicing together there should be 6 - 8 of us basically playing a form of indoor cricket with all the benefits of that approach outside in the tennis courts leading up to the season + anything else they do at the nets organised by the club.

I picked up your conversation with Frank's Dad on my antenna and thought I would join in. He speaks very good English! :p

Your plans are really good, although you may want to put the boys in for a couple of one2ones before the season starts. Pass Tim's details on to Frank's Dad; he may benefit from him. I have invited Tim along next weekend if he's free. If you have registered yourself and Ben, bring Joe along to watch and I will try to get him involved!

PS I bet the court looks different today!! :D

Back