Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mas cambios

Member Feedback Poll

Message from BigCricket

All,

We are asking all forum members to give us some feedback about the state of our forums.

We would be grateful if you would take a few moments to vote in the poll, but more importantly post your thoughts about how things are going in this forum.

Anything is fair game - the moderators, the quality of the discussion, the amount of traffic, the forum structure, etc.

Voting is useful, but we are most interested in ways you think BigCricket and specifically this forum can be improved -- what we are doing right or wrong, and your thoughts generally about your use of this forum.

Thanks!

Re: Member Feedback Poll

MAS (and onyone that is reading)

The problems I have with BC and the reason I disappeared for a while (actually that was work (NOT the Ashes:D.....and I am back) is:

Advertising - There really is not enough DVCA people on here, you rely on those here and word of mouth, maybe investing advertising in the Comp (sponsor a Junior player of the year or Senior player of the Finals or some crap like that, gets links to comp site and clubs sites) Now don't come here and say there is no money, SOMEONE makes money out of these sites (or am I the only one that sees the advertising) and do not have the forsight to see how to improve it by making it bigger.

Policies - When I was a moderator I was usually harsh but fair on the rules that the site gave me to moderate, BUT when people can get away with being a pimply little mumma's tit sucking hacks that can hide behind a computer and get away with personnel slagging and sometime more serious stuff in other areas of the site but they seem to get away with it. WHY? well there is not enough people here so they way I see it you and the Admin are probably to scared to piss people off (yes I remember the ones we did get rid of but also the ones we kept) By making this the 'place to be and discuss DVCA and Cricket in General' on the web would mean that people would not break any rules (see my first point) as they would want to be here. If the site had local sponsors that gave the Mods a chance to award small weekly/monthly 'prizes' to the best poster (within the rules and create conversation)

Junior Forums - where a massive issue as that's where some of the pimply little try hards can hide behind a computer and actually believe they will play for Australia (or that their Club is as good as the Australian team) I am unsure if this has been an issue this year but I would have a Junior Moderator, there are some really good kids last year and I am sure they could take on the responsibility. What ever happened to Pre Mod? Then any decision is the Mods?

Now, I know I have had a crack at a few (Tongs) but at the end of the day I see Dave all the time and usually have a beer, so how do you differentiate between mates having fun and something more serious (when we know that internet and the sites can now be held accountable in a legal sense) I dunno, always an issue when you warned someone only to find out they are teammates/best mates and they see others getting away with it..

I have been off the site for a while, the above is only issues I saw last and reckon they may remain.

Look forward to being back on the BC DVCA forum and the fun and opinions it can provide, unless I have pissed to many people off here and I get banned.;)

Advertising - somethign I would love to do and probably will do in the future. Yes, money is made somewhere along the lines but bear in mind that server and hosting costs come in at over $100,000(US) per year.

Would you (and others) be prepared to pay a small amount to use the site, if the money was largely ploughed back into grass roots cricket? Of course there would be other benefits as a user.

Moderation - it's tricky to be honest. People do come face to face with each other, something which is rare in terms of a forum. This makes being a moderator hard for a number of reasons. The big two are that you may well come up against the person you ticked off on a Saturday, the second that because of the nature of the site there are plenty of in jokes and mate style banter, which can be hard to penetrate.

Juniors - yes, they are a pain in the proverbial but there you go. Action will be taken in one form or other at some point.

My two cents:

The site is run fairly well as a whole. There are always going to be areas in which need to be improved, and areas which need drastic improvement. The mods from my point of view have been fine. I have been on the receiving hand a couple of times of yellow cards, some of which i deserved, others wher i thought i was a bit stiff, but they are the rules. THe only thing that I fell needs to be improved though is the consistency of some of the boards. You have some leagues where by the Mods are hard but fair, and others where the posters get away with murder. Which is hard to understand considering the "rules" they all are meant to adhere to! I will say, the DVCA Mods have been good, the Geelong ones are nothing short of terrible!

The site itself seems to be going down hill a little, purely because there is nothing new to do on here. The Vbookie was a great idea, yet means nothing.There was no reward for people that actually won etc. There needs to be something that can be bought with the money, even if it is just crap ie BC tshirt? Memberships? There needs to be something new to keep the interest of all the posters, some excitement.

The young kids are a hassle on here. Im not sure what can be done about it, for example you see a poster post on the Under 14, 16, C grade, B grade and A Grade thread all in one hit giving someone a spray aor just posting down right rubbish. It bores the people that actually enjoy getting on here, and when the log on they see the crap and don't bother coming back!

As for the paying money to get on here, whilst i would be up for it as it would eliminate so many young flogs from posting the rubbish they do, I would be worried it would also cut back many many older posters as well. So i would say no, leave it as is!

Tongs;375585 said:
the Geelong ones are nothing short of terrible!

Care to elaborate? The Geelong board doesn't need as much policing because there are nowhere near as many moronic posters on it as some of the other boards. Looking at your infraction history, I doubt you're really in the position to be calling others terrible.

Good post Tong.

As a Mod it is at time's hard to know where to draw the line. I remember last season with your self and Cowcorner having a few jokes and I found the reading of it very funny. You two guys know each other in the real world and I cant see any problems with that. Much the same as Cold Case and my self how we talk and joke around on here is the same at the club, pub or where ever we maybe.
I do agree Vbookie we need to get that up and running again CowCorner was very good at putting it up each week with some very fair odds. I will talk to Cold Case and see what we can do, maybe CowCorner could give us a chop out with posting the odds for the round? I can't see mas having a drama with that.
You are right about the juniors they do my head in all day every day, I'm over being spoken to like a piece of shit so I just keep handing them out points( I think its starting to work with a few of them). But in a whole I think the DVCA thread is very good but we do need to some how get more people using it. Great idea with a prize here and there.

a for effort;375586 said:
Care to elaborate? The Geelong board doesn't need as much policing because there are nowhere near as many moronic posters on it as some of the other boards. Looking at your infraction history, I doubt you're really in the position to be calling others terrible.

Exhibit A

This is my exact point. We are asked by the Admin staff to comment on OUR thoughts. So I did. And i get called a moronic poster for doing so by a Mod of that board. I thought this was meant to be constructive?

I have had and seen many of the geelong posters get away with murder, both on Private Messages and on boards. The comments get deleted, yet no bannings for them. Why? Because they are mates!

As for my history, if you read my whole post I put my hand up and said that I have been in the wrong, and copped it on the chin! So before you want to start having a crack at me, how about you look in your own backyard!

The Wizz;375587 said:
Good post Tong.

As a Mod it is at time's hard to know where to draw the line. I remember last season with your self and Cowcorner having a few jokes and I found the reading of it very funny. You two guys know each other in the real world and I cant see any problems with that. Much the same as Cold Case and my self how we talk and joke around on here is the same at the club, pub or where ever we maybe.
I do agree Vbookie we need to get that up and running again CowCorner was very good at putting it up each week with some very fair odds. I will talk to Cold Case and see what we can do, maybe CowCorner could give us a chop out with posting the odds for the round? I can't see mas having a drama with that.
You are right about the juniors they do my head in all day every day, I'm over being spoken to like a piece of shit so I just keep handing them out points( I think its starting to work with a few of them). But in a whole I think the DVCA thread is very good but we do need to some how get more people using it. Great idea with a prize here and there.

Its TONGS! :)

CowCorner was good value, fairly tough but fair. It would be good if we could get the larger than life bloke back on here posting and maybe helping out with the bookie. I think he is too worried about holiday planning at the moment, to get on here though!

The DVCA is a good thread, it just needs some tweeking with some of the threads. We do need new posters and the only way is to add some excitement, no one wants to get on and read what a 12yo thinks about the likes of Skips, Keasy, etc

Tongs;375596 said:
Exhibit A

This is my exact point. We are asked by the Admin staff to comment on OUR thoughts. So I did. And i get called a moronic poster for doing so by a Mod of that board. I thought this was meant to be constructive?

I have had and seen many of the geelong posters get away with murder, both on Private Messages and on boards. The comments get deleted, yet no bannings for them. Why? Because they are mates!

As for my history, if you read my whole post I put my hand up and said that I have been in the wrong, and copped it on the chin! So before you want to start having a crack at me, how about you look in your own backyard!

Do you actually read the Geelong board? If so, please direct me to these murderous posts and I will gladly delete them, infract the poster and personally apologize to you. These threads are about finding ways to improve the forum, not baseless accusations without any merit or corroborating evidence.

a for effort;375598 said:
Do you actually read the Geelong board? If so, please direct me to these murderous posts and I will gladly delete them, infract the poster and personally apologize to you. These threads are about finding ways to improve the forum, not baseless accusations without any merit or corroborating evidence.

So you want me to do YOUR job for you??? How about you read the post without looking to see who wrote the post before deciding on if it is ok to keep on there? As i said I have seen it in the past, and yes i have read the board.

I'm not going to get into a slinging match with you, that is my opinions on the Geelong board take it or leave it!

Tongs;375599 said:
So you want me to do YOUR job for you???
No, I want you to provide some substance to your statement, which is essentially just a direct attack on me, as the sole moderator of the Geelong board. I thought it would have been easy for someone with such a finely-tuned post quality detector.

Tongs;375599 said:
How about you read the post without looking to see who wrote the post before deciding on if it is ok to keep on there? As i said I have seen it in the past, and yes i have read the board.
Sorry, the masking tape sometimes slips off the left side of the monitor so I accidentally see the posters name before reading the post.

Tongs;375599 said:
I'm not going to get into a slinging match with you, that is my opinions on the Geelong board take it or leave it!
I think we'll probably leave it.

Tongs;375597 said:
Its TONGS! :)

CowCorner was good value, fairly tough but fair. It would be good if we could get the larger than life bloke back on here posting and maybe helping out with the bookie. I think he is too worried about holiday planning at the moment, to get on here though!

The DVCA is a good thread, it just needs some tweeking with some of the threads. We do need new posters and the only way is to add some excitement, no one wants to get on and read what a 12yo thinks about the likes of Skips, Keasy, etc

Happy to help out and do vBookie again, if my access allows I will have odds up for next round. Maybe a gentleman's agreement, all who start betting, winner gets a beer at the Senior Presentation night, everyone shouts the first one.

Thanks for the nice comments Dave, dunno if I was to fair at times as I gave you cards that others got away with, I know you got over it. Yes I am ready for holidays, also a tad worried about the 6 Noods is gunna hit off me first ball when we play.....I will be bowling the first ball to gully so he can't.

Agree with everything else you have said.

Ahem, can we concentrate on the DVCA board and not what goes on the other boards. Each forum will have it's own personality and the members that police it will intepret the rules differently. Yes, we strive for consistency but what is good for one board will poison another.

From what I see the Geelong board is very 'banter' focussed whereas some of the other boards tend to err on the side of malice. I have said this before and will say it again, it is very difficult for someone not in the know to view 'jokes/banter' when they appear.

Again, that is just my personal view on the matter. However, in the interest of fairness we will review the policies and see if we can do things better.

Now, if we could focus on the DVCA it would be appreciated!

Tongs;375599 said:
So you want me to do YOUR job for you??? How about you read the post without looking to see who wrote the post before deciding on if it is ok to keep on there? As i said I have seen it in the past, and yes i have read the board.

What are you doing reading the Geelong forum Tongs?

cold case;375776 said:
What are you doing reading the Geelong forum Tongs?

Just looking for ways for you to improve! Apparently they have the best Mods going around in G-Town!

Mas, My comments were on DVCA, it was one of your bunnies that turned it into a slinging match!

CowCorner, I think you should buy me a beer for the cards you gave me! And noods is no chance, pitch it up and give him a chance. Its not like you to soft out in a fight (Unless you are trainer in an away game against Northcote Park)

Going to close this now as I think we've seen all the replies we're going to get. If you have anything to add then please pm me.

Thanks for all the feedback, it has been really helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back