My Brothers Action [video]

russellbarnard

Firstly my brother is 10 (11 in May) but he has been playing for about 3/4 years last year was his first with really matches (U12's) he took 19 wickets from 12 games with 1 five wicket haul.

Really hoping he can go on to at least a higher level than me.

Please take a look at his action in the linked video and let me know what you think, sorry about the quality should have a better one up soonish. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=565tEZ4cjKY He mainly bowls pace with a few variations.

Thanks for any opinions.

Hi Russell... good to see you back!

Any comments I could make on your brother's action would not be too helpful at the moment. If you can get another at a bigger location so that we can see the full run up and follow though [I am sure he must have one :)] that would be great. However, I have seen a couple of things that would concern me so please do post it... I would particularly like to see the whole body during the action, from tip to toe.

Just uploaded another video, recorded this one just after my match ended.

Made this at about 7pm which might be why he is not running in and jumping like usual but it should have a better view than last time :)

Youtube Link

Hi Russell and Anthony,

There is a lot here I like, although I would like to see more of a follow through ;).

However, the issue I had was with the run up. If this is not your usual run up Anthony, it would be best for me to wait until I see what you can really do.

Really good bowling, especially for the age. Of course, if the umpire does not signal a wicket, it is not a wicket! :D

Ben's action has improved so much since I last saw it and there is so much I like. However, Ben needs to follow through like a pace bowler, not a spinner. If he does not follow through properly, it will cause so many soft tissue and joint issues... I'm surprised his coach has not sorted this out. Otherwise, excellent. To improve (other than the follow through) Ben needs to make the most of his height; he needs to keep tall. By doing this, he will also be able to utilise the hip thrust; creating more pace.

Really good bowling, especially for the age. Of course, if the umpire does not signal a wicket, it is not a wicket! :D

Ben's action has improved so much since I last saw it and there is so much I like. However, Ben needs to follow through like a pace bowler, not a spinner. If he does not follow through properly, it will cause so many soft tissue and joint issues... I'm surprised his coach has not sorted this out. Otherwise, excellent. To improve (other than the follow through) Ben needs to make the most of his height; he needs to keep tall. By doing this, he will also be able to utilise the hip thrust; creating more pace.

Yeah massive improvement since the point where it was identified that he jumps off the wrong foot. With regards the umpiring - it may have been the square leg umpire signalled it?

[quote="someblokecalleddave, post: 405986"... With regards the umpiring - it may have been the square leg umpire signalled it?[/quote]

Possibly, if it was a stumping or a run out... then, of course, the wicket does not go to Ben. Otherwise, the square leg umpire has no right to declare the wicket and by doing so, is totally disrespectful to the umpire. :D

Bottom line... the scorer does not make decisions and can only record what the umpires signal. If the umpire signals a wide and the scorer knows it was a no ball, it is recorded as a wide... if a bye/leg bye is not signalled, the scorer must record a hit by the batsman, which could be detrimental to the bowler. This is something the boys will have to live with as they get older and face qualified scorers! ;)

[quote="someblokecalleddave, post: 405986"... With regards the umpiring - it may have been the square leg umpire signalled it?

Possibly, if it was a stumping or a run out... then, of course, the wicket does not go to Ben. Otherwise, the square leg umpire has no right to declare the wicket and by doing so, is totally disrespectful to the umpire. :D

Bottom line... the scorer does not make decisions and can only record what the umpires signal. If the umpire signals a wide and the scorer knows it was a no ball, it is recorded as a wide... if a bye/leg bye is not signalled, the scorer must record a hit by the batsman, which could be detrimental to the bowler. This is something the boys will have to live with as they get older and face qualified scorers! ;)[/quote]

My understanding was that it was a run-out and that it was signalled by the square leg umpire, but the other umpire seems to be indifferent and seems to have missed what happened.

Really!!!! The last wicket?

I have to say, it looked clean bowled to me. Personally, I think it a travesty that this wicket was not accredited to Ben :(.

Really!!!! The last wicket?

I have to say, it looked clean bowled to me. Personally, I think it a travesty that this wicket was not accredited to Ben :(.

I think we're getting mixed up here, in Ben's overs there were 4 dismissals - 2 catches, (one a bowled and caught) a clean bowled and a run out at the bats end. Perhaps I've edited the run out from the youtube video? I'll have to have another look, which then suggests that you're saying that the last dismissal (Clean bowled) isn't signalled by the umpire at the bowlers end?

Back