My Technique

i keep wanting to back away from the stumps to play the cut ....... can someone help me ...... how do i stop myself ??
I used to be just like you and for me it was because i was scared of the ball, but then I just realized that when you start to step back you have a higher chance of getting hurt because of your head moving at your momentum going sideways, I try to pick the length of the ball by how high or low the bowlers arm is at release point so I have the advantage of knowing whether its a short of full ball, this should help

I used to be just like you and for me it was because i was scared of the ball, but then I just realized that when you start to step back you have a higher chance of getting hurt because of your head moving at your momentum going sideways, I try to pick the length of the ball by how high or low the bowlers arm is at release point so I have the advantage of knowing whether its a short of full ball, this should help[/

I used to be just like you and for me it was because i was scared of the ball, but then I just realized that when you start to step back you have a higher chance of getting hurt because of your head moving at your momentum going sideways, I try to pick the length of the ball by how high or low the bowlers arm is at release point so I have the advantage of knowing whether its a short of full ball, this should help
i am not good when it comes to playing off my pads ...... any full length balls on leg or off stump that i try to score on the off side i normally miss and they crash into my pads or stumps .... would the best option be just to play them straight ??

it is probably because you are too rigid and you need to relax a bit when you bat.
the same used to be the same as me then i watched the ball closer and i adjusted my stance and now anything down leg side i punish.

Hi Reuben, there are some good points but plenty of things to work on. The first is about how you should be using your bowling machine. Its sole purpose should be for you to use it to repeatedly practice a shot. This is so that when you face the same length and line ball in a game you will automatically be able to repeat the shot (this is called muscle memory and it is roughly estimated it takes between 5 to 10 thousand repetitions to achieve) . In your video you are playing forward and back to balls that appear to be on the same line and length. Choose the shot you want to practice, set the machine to the appropriate line and length and practice only that shot. When you are happy with how it feels change the settings and practice another shot. Some back foot shots were OK, you went back and across and played the shot really well, however, on most occasions you simply played from the crease. Stepping back and across will not only give you slightly longer to play the ball but will allow to leave wide balls, play the hook and pull shot to balls on or outside the leg stump and will keep your head inside the line and away from the ball if you should miss the hook shot.

Your front foot shots for some of your drives were really good, but too often you seemed to be walking at the ball. If you need to take another step after you have hit the ball then it is because you haven’t been balanced during the shot. In most cases this is because your front shoulder is too high. It should be lower than your back shoulder as you are hitting the ball. To ensure that the front foot goes to the correct position both for length and width, use the front shoulder to point at the ball as it comes to you. Imagine that there is a elastic band connecting your front shoulder and the ball. Track the ball with your front shoulder as though the elastic is trying to pull your front shoulder towards the ball. Your foot will go automatically towards the ball. It will land the appropriate distance down the pitch and across the pitch to the line of the ball. You will end up properly balanced with your head over the line of the ball and you will strike the ball just behind your front leg, ensuring that the ball goes along the ground. The window for hitting the ball along the ground will now be much longer, allowing for a greater margin of error preventing you from hitting the ball in the air. It also closes the gap between the bat and your front leg and will automatically cause your front leg to be bent.

Finally the problem you have mentioned about playing off you pads may be helped by opening up your stance. Move your front foot slightly more to the leg side. You should also change your stance depending on where the bowler is bowling from. If it's left hand over or right arm around make sure that if you were to draw a line from the front of your back foot to the front of your front foot, then that line should point directly to the bowlers arm. This will help you to hit the ball without having to swing the bat around your front leg. The other thing that you have to learn how to do is to step outside the ball on the leg stump so it can be driven on the onside. This can be a really difficult shot to learn as by opening up you expose the “family jewels” to being hit. This can prove impossible for some batsmen to do because they can't overcome their fear about what might happen. Once bowlers discover that you can't do this, then your fate will be similar to that of Shane Watson.

Good luck, just remember that your luck will improve the more you practice.

Hello Guys
i am a opener for my team. i need some help.......
i have notice with my technique that i will often get out bowled top of off stump... at the start of my innings i am watchful but after a while at about 20-25 i seem to get out to a ball that hits top of off stump. i don't really know this is why maybe not really focusing or i seem to forget to bat on middle stump.
Appreciate the Help

Back