New Zealand/england Test Clash

I just had a fairly lengthy response typed up, then I accidentally closed the tab while switching between others. :mad:

Basically:
- I agree and I'm just as irate
- the IPL runs too long
- because the Champions Trophy is midway through the Blackcaps tour, it greatly limits the scheduling options
- to illustrate the absurdity of the tour schedule, NZ's T20 warmup match against Kent has been scheduled the day before the Champions Trophy final
- the IPL shouldn't run up until the end of May, and if there's an official window built in to the Future Tours Programme, it will hurt cricket even more and debacles like this will keep surfacing
- I wouldn't blame the Blackcaps' IPL players if they played in the IPL, but I dearly wish they would join the national team for at least part of the tour
- the first season of the IPL ran for 46 days, and this year's ran for 53.

Brainwave: it seems as if the BCCI wants the tournament to run right up until the end of May, but this wouldn't be good for the rest of the cricketing world, especially for the ECB. If, Heaven forbid, there is an IPL window, the best process would be:
- begin the IPL as early in April as possible
- have the final before May 20
- for the rest of May, following on from the IPL hype, have an all-India T20 series featuring ONLY Indian IPL players. International players will still be released progressively as their respective teams are eliminated from the tournament
- England's Test matches don't begin before May 22-25

I still don't like the idea of working around the IPL, but I guess these are the times in which we live. :(

I just had a fairly lengthy response typed up, then I accidentally closed the tab while switching between others. :mad:

Basically:
- I agree and I'm just as irate
- the IPL runs too long
- because the Champions Trophy is midway through the Blackcaps tour, it greatly limits the scheduling options
- to illustrate the absurdity of the tour schedule, NZ's T20 warmup match against Kent has been scheduled the day before the Champions Trophy final
- the IPL shouldn't run up until the end of May, and if there's an official window built in to the Future Tours Programme, it will hurt cricket even more and debacles like this will keep surfacing
- I wouldn't blame the Blackcaps' IPL players if they played in the IPL, but I dearly wish they would join the national team for at least part of the tour
- the first season of the IPL ran for 46 days, and this year's ran for 53.

Brainwave: it seems as if the BCCI wants the tournament to run right up until the end of May, but this wouldn't be good for the rest of the cricketing world, especially for the ECB. If, Heaven forbid, there is an IPL window, the best process would be:
- begin the IPL as early in April as possible
- have the final before May 20
- for the rest of May, following on from the IPL hype, have an all-India T20 series featuring ONLY Indian IPL players. International players will still be released progressively as their respective teams are eliminated from the tournament
- England's Test matches don't begin before May 22-25

I still don't like the idea of working around the IPL, but I guess these are the times in which we live. :(

Seems we must, I'm not going to let this tournament that India believes is popular all over the world ruin international cricket. If it get's any worse, action will need to be taken. A lot of this money they are generating could be used to what they are supposed to be doing, developing world cricket.

FBC, I thought of you -- and, subsequently, this thread -- as soon as I saw the headline about Vettori coming out of T20I retirement for the World T20 in September. I haven't seen any quotes from the man himself, but I think this move shows that he is still thinking about the well-being of NZ cricket. Call me an optomist, but this move could show there might be a slim chance of at least one of NZ's senior players voluntarily cutting their IPL tour short for the sake of the national Test team. Then again, I've just used "could", "might", and "slim chance" in the same sentence.

Edit: The ICC have ruled out an IPL window since this thread was made, so that's one problem avoided at least. Someone made the point that because the ECB gets so much money from broadcasters, Sky Sports has quite an influence on England's home scheduling (though I'm not sure how much merit is in that accusation). Whoever it is, they're going to have to stop scheduling the start of the international season so early in May, because if this season has shown us anything, it's that the weather won't hold up.

Yeah I'm glad that Vettori has come back, he's a bloody good T20 bowler and would actually offer us more in ODI's and T20's than in Tests at the moment (other than his batting). I'm also glad the IPL hasn't been given a window, that would have annoyed me.

Back