NZ keeper to hand over gloves and bat 3.

mas cambios

NZ keeper to hand over gloves and bat 3.

This is an interesting move:

Gareth Hopkins will take over the wicketkeeping duties so Brendon McCullum can concentrate entirely on opening the batting when the ICC World Twenty20 starts next week. John Bracewell, the New Zealand coach, has predicted a shake-up of the New Zealand order which will feature Jacob Oram's power-hitting at No. 3.

From Cricinfo.

This seems like a reasonable plan. Give your understudy keeper a chance to gain some experience whilst seeing if your current keeper has the ability to play as a bat alone. Not sure if its correct to try it in a tournament but NZ have never been afraid of trying things out.

Re: NZ keeper to hand over gloves and bat 3.

Good move, we used to do this technique at under 16's, where our WK would come to bat in my position, no. 3, and i'd ************ off with the gloves to no. 8. As we were a decent side we rarely got past 5 down, so he rarely got a chance, plus his offspin is quite good, so i used to talk the gloves 4-5 times a season, i really enjoyed it as i actually love WK-ing, the banter you have is a lot better than at 2nd slip which i call "home."

McCullum is a pretty good batsman and a WK. I don't see any point in having a separate keeper especially in the shortest format of the game.

Not a bad move. Gives this young kid a chance in international cricket. Will gain good experience from this tournament. Plus moving Oram up the order is a good idea in my opinon. Oram is a vicious hitter of a cricket ball.

Back