playing against senior bowlers for the first time

bboy0001

playing against senior bowlers for the first time

Hi guys,

Winter season is coming soon and i am old enough to play senior, ive signed up and am a little nervous about face older bolwers, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

What more is life but a game of cricket??

Re: playing against senior bowlers for the first time

It's not going to be that different in some respects from the juniors. The main differences will be in pace, consistency, bounce and tactics.

Play your natural game and try to relax and enjoy it. It will take a little bit of time to acclimatise but the game is essentially the same, no matter what level.

thanks mate, just hope the guys on the other teams wont bounce me too much.:eek:

bboy0001;391675 said:
thanks mate, just hope the guys on the other teams wont bounce me too much.:eek:

If they do you have three options, duck, get in line and play it or attack. If you look panicked then they'll continue to do it, look composed regardless of which method you use and you'll be fine.

I have been in a similar situation having just completed my first season in senior cricket and the biggest tip I can give to you is to not be intimidated and if you are, dont show it. You will be tested on occasion whether it be with short pitched stuff or verbally but the best thing you can do is keep your head down, get in the line of the ball and back yourself.
You dont want to be cocky against older, more experienced teams, but you dont want to be a pushover either. So dont be overawed but dont be too brash.

Yeah, i classify myself as a good batman i open in juniors, and i can face my step dad ok and he bowls around 120km, he is playing in my team so ill probably bat with him around 5/6.

I actually found the step up easier... you notice you can play alongside these players and find that the bowlers who bowl the fastest are the ones the same age who you have been playing with in juniors.

i think its easy to think that things are worse than they are. im a novice batsman, not a youngster, but still when you come up against fast bowlers having never faced one before, its fairly intimidating.

however, once you face a few deliveries, even if they are evil bouncers at your ribs, you realise that its not hugely difficult to simply move out of the way, and once you start offering shots you realise that isnt as difficult as it seems.

confidence is key. just back yourself and dont show any fear. most club level players dont have the power or control to bounce you consistently, so if they keep doing it theyll gift you runs eventually. there are more basic deliveries that cause me a LOT more problems against pace bowlers!! so most of them wont look to use physical intimidation against you anyway (its a little bit against the spirit of the game TBH, bowling bouncers at young players!!), theyll just bowl their best deliveries to get you out.

I've just finished my second season of senior cricket, and I remember the first few pre-season training session where I had to bat. I'm not a batsman (although I like to think I'm pretty handy now) and I was initially dreading it. You quickly learn it's not so bad.

It will be a good challenge and most of the bowlers won't as quick as you'd expect, and if they are, then just see it as an opportunity to prove yourself.

Remember. The bowler's main aim of the game is to get you out. Intimidating you wont get you back in the sheds if they dont bowl on the stumps, or get you to hit one in the air. Keep your chin up, dont rise to the bait, and dont play stupid shots. You will get used to any pace change, as you will be training with seniors.

bboy0001;391518 said:
Hi guys,

Winter season is coming soon and i am old enough to play senior, ive signed up and am a little nervous about face older bolwers, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

What more is life but a game of cricket??

It may be hard it took me years to do it but play with confidence and back your training and ability. Play within yourself, play to your strengths and work hard on your weaknesses on the training track. The biggest tip I can give, have an extra hit with a mate before u play, before the warm up, with a mate so that you have your eye in as best you can before you go out bat. I also have a hit the Friday night as well. Oh and watch the ball!!;)

I know its late but try not to think to much at the crease, Play every ball as you see it an dont worry if 1 just went through ya or ya hit it to the fence, every ball is different so see it play it or leave it the rest you no how to do or you wouldnt be a batsmen.

I have started playing senior cricket at the age of 12 and I find that there are certain advantages:
  • Being younger we have slightly superior reflexes - so you know that however fast they bowl, the only thing that you might struggle to cope with is your own lack of technique (which probably isn't an issue if you are able to play senior cricket) and also intimidation which you know is all in your imagination.
  • I don't know how old you are, but you may well be smaller which means that a bowlers good length ball turns into one that you can easily cut or pull if you are confident on the back foot.
  • Some of the nicer bowlers might slow down for the first few deliveries that you face just to see whether you are a capable batsman, so you have a little bit more time to get in.

I have started playing senior cricket at the age of 12 and I find that there are certain advantages:
  • Being younger we have slightly superior reflexes - so you know that however fast they bowl, the only thing that you might struggle to cope with is your own lack of technique (which probably isn't an issue if you are able to play senior cricket) and also intimidation which you know is all in your imagination.
  • I don't know how old you are, but you may well be smaller which means that a bowlers good length ball turns into one that you can easily cut or pull if you are confident on the back foot.
  • Some of the nicer bowlers might slow down for the first few deliveries that you face just to see whether you are a capable batsman, so you have a little bit more time to get in.

I think your reflexes peak in your mid 20s, actually, if they vary at all.

I think your reflexes peak in your mid 20s, actually, if they vary at all.
Oh... I guess it's just that playing 2nd XI cricket means you get all the younger people and also the over 45's so I don't really experience the superior reflexes of the mid-20 year olds.

The same stuff you have probably heard before really; Get behind it, watch it on to the bat, play straight, sway and duck if you aren't happy to pull/hook the ball etc. etc.

You are going to get hit there eventually, I am a confident hooker and puller of the ball and I took one in the ribs last week from a tennis ball bounce. You just have to shrug it off and carry on with it.

Last edited:
Be confident just because they are adults doesn't mean they are superior. I know u might be smallest on the field but Cricket is a game of technique not size. At the same time treat them with respect.

Back