re-extratecing a new bat

Bradbury

re-extratecing a new bat

hi all, i have a bradbury s100 cricket bat with extratec on it, the shop i bought it from put it on for me before i knocked it in and now the edges are compressed there is a pocket of air between the edge and the extratec. i have used this bat in the nets a few times and in the grand final and am looking to get it ready for next season. i dont wanna use sandpaper to get the goo off it because it is a new bat and Mr Bradbury dosent want me to oil it at all........

Re: re-extratecing a new bat

Couple of choices (and I'm basing this on it being the clear stuff, not with the fibres in).

You can gently peel off the cover, going with the grain to avoid lifting. Give the bat a light sand down and then oil or reapply a new cover.

Or, you can take it to a bat repairer who will most likely sand off the cover - which negates the risk of lifting the wood.

Finally, you can leave it as it is. The bubbles are not going to any impact on how the bat plays. Sure, they may not look 'great' but most bats have bubbles or creases on them. Use it for a season then get the bat refurbished.

Cheers mate, I'm not so worried about the looks ect, just the protection aspect. As this is the second Bradbury bat (the first 1 exploded and i got this one under WTY) they said not to oil it at all just us extratec and shoe goo. i may have to contact the shop i bought it from and get there opion as it is a 2 hour drive to them (one way).....

yeah mate i know, but the pod shaper himself said NOT to oil it at all, i said what about the back ect he said NO.

Sounds a little strange to me. What bat is it and what preparation did it have before you bought it?

Generally, you don't oil the face as the cover won't stick to it if oiled but the back makes no difference. Then again, if it is a cover with fibre glass strands in, you can normally get away with oiling it, as long as you give it a few days to 'dry'.

Not oiling the back of your bat if it is uncovered is bad advice. If it's raw wood, it needs oil.

Does the back of the bat have a coating?

its a Bradbury S100, not sure what was done before i got it. they say on there web site Care & Repair to only use one lite coat of oil but everywhere ealse i look they say 3 or more good coats. Dont know what to do???????????

If the back is natural (not covered or treated) then I, personally, would apply 1-3 coats of oil. Simply to help keep some natural mositure in the wood and the damp out.

Even a single light coat will do the job - but only if it's a natural finish.

Back