Running Smart And Effective

Duffy33

Being new to the sport, I was wondering how the best way batters communicate to each other, and how to be a smart runner?

I was a pretty smart baserunner in baseball... but that reliance was primarily on my own speed and ability to watch the play, secondarily on the base coaches being able to see the play and give loud clear instructions...

Any advice, tips, and help would be appreciated...

Thanks

Being new to the sport, I was wondering how the best way batters communicate to each other, and how to be a smart runner?

I was a pretty smart baserunner in baseball... but that reliance was primarily on my own speed and ability to watch the play, secondarily on the base coaches being able to see the play and give loud clear instructions...

Any advice, tips, and help would be appreciated...

Thanks

In cricket, running is all about trust and communication.
There are only three calls - Yes, No and Wait and always the batsman facing the ball makes the call. In other words - for the first run, if the ball goes behind the wickets, the runner calls, in front of the wickets, the batsman calls. The other batsman should just trust in partner and run. Looking at the ball will only slow you down, so that is to be avoided.

For the second, or third run, usually a primary call is given as soon as the shot is played. A decision on whether to go for an additional run is taken on the turn (just when you are completing the first run), so it is important that you turn facing the direction in which the ball has been hit (switch the bat in your hands if needed)

In cricket, running is all about trust and communication.
There are only three calls - Yes, No and Wait and always the batsman facing the ball makes the call. In other words - for the first run, if the ball goes behind the wickets, the runner calls, in front of the wickets, the batsman calls. The other batsman should just trust in partner and run. Looking at the ball will only slow you down, so that is to be avoided.

For the second, or third run, usually a primary call is given as soon as the shot is played. A decision on whether to go for an additional run is taken on the turn (just when you are completing the first run), so it is important that you turn facing the direction in which the ball has been hit (switch the bat in your hands if needed)

Thanks a ton, that's good stuff... I was wondering how they communicated so well... greatly appreciated

Sometimes if you have a less experienced cricketer, the experienced partner will do all the calling. Otherwise generally the batsman will do most of the calling - the non-striker generally only calls if the batter doesn't appear to have seen where the ball is gone, eg a bye or a leg bye or a big slice over the slips. The non-striker tends to err more on the side of caution in his calling and only calls for obvious runs. The batsman is generally the best judge of whether there is a run or not because he knows how hard he hit the ball.

As was said, officially the initial calls are wait, yes, and no. But in reality it varies: sometimes people say "run run run" as well as "yes" or "yep". Sometimes they say "stay there" or "get back" as well as no. Sometimes they say "looking" insteading of "wait" - normally if the other person doesn't appear to be anticipating the possibility of a run. The person who's call it isn't can overrule a suicidal yes call by shouting NO - but the rule is that he has to say it before the "s of yes" otherwise he's too late and he better get running. Nothing worse than hesitation and indecision.

Then there is often further communication during the running. "looking for two" "pushing for three" or "easy one" generally signal intentions as they cross in the middle. In deciding on a 2nd or 3rd, the batsman who is not going to be running to the danger end often shouts "your call" to make it explicit that the other person should make the call. When the throw comes in, the batsman with the best view will shout "my end" or "your end" to his partner to let him know whether he needs to hurry.

The most important thing is to shout as loud as you physically can. Don't be scared to make yourself heard. There is nothing worse than an indistict call of "mmm mmm mmm". People in the pavilion should be able to hear you calling.

Sometimes if you have a less experienced cricketer, the experienced partner will do all the calling. Otherwise generally the batsman will do most of the calling - the non-striker generally only calls if the batter doesn't appear to have seen where the ball is gone, eg a bye or a leg bye or a big slice over the slips. The non-striker tends to err more on the side of caution in his calling and only calls for obvious runs. The batsman is generally the best judge of whether there is a run or not because he knows how hard he hit the ball.

As was said, officially the initial calls are wait, yes, and no. But in reality it varies: sometimes people say "run run run" as well as "yes" or "yep". Sometimes they say "stay there" or "get back" as well as no. Sometimes they say "looking" insteading of "wait" - normally if the other person doesn't appear to be anticipating the possibility of a run. The person who's call it isn't can overrule a suicidal yes call by shouting NO - but the rule is that he has to say it before the "s of yes" otherwise he's too late and he better get running. Nothing worse than hesitation and indecision.

Then there is often further communication during the running. "looking for two" "pushing for three" or "easy one" generally signal intentions as they cross in the middle. In deciding on a 2nd or 3rd, the batsman who is not going to be running to the danger end often shouts "your call" to make it explicit that the other person should make the call. When the throw comes in, the batsman with the best view will shout "my end" or "your end" to his partner to let him know whether he needs to hurry.

The most important thing is to shout as loud as you physically can. Don't be scared to make yourself heard. There is nothing worse than an indistict call of "mmm mmm mmm". People in the pavilion should be able to hear you calling.

Thanks a lot... I tried to commit as much from your guys' tips to memory as possible for tonights practice, as it was a running, and hitting practice, and well... old habits die hard LOL.. first hit I delivered I took off for 1st base instead of straight ahead hahaha... 25 years is hard to break instinct LOL... anyways after that good laugh we settled in and had a really successful run... Thanks so much for the tips they really helped me make the transition!!!

Thanks a lot... I tried to commit as much from your guys' tips to memory as possible for tonights practice, as it was a running, and hitting practice, and well... old habits die hard LOL.. first hit I delivered I took off for 1st base instead of straight ahead hahaha... 25 years is hard to break instinct LOL... anyways after that good laugh we settled in and had a really successful run... Thanks so much for the tips they really helped me make the transition!!!

Glad it was useful, and welcome to cricket. (Practice makes perfect - will become easier and easier as you go along)

Being a lower end batsman (Bat at 10 or 11) and having two young sons that are trying to get their heads round this, it's not a walk in the park this and requires a very good understanding of what you are going to shout and how you're going to approach it. Try and practice it with your team mates and if there are experienced players (Top order blokes) let them do the majority of the work. Experience means you're in a better position to judge whether there is a run there, fumbled balls look like opportunities to run, but I've seen so many people fooled by the fumbled ball. Backing up (The off-strike batsman) is another aspect that is important and can go wrong if you're not alert.

Being a lower end batsman (Bat at 10 or 11) and having two young sons that are trying to get their heads round this, it's not a walk in the park this and requires a very good understanding of what you are going to shout and how you're going to approach it. Try and practice it with your team mates and if there are experienced players (Top order blokes) let them do the majority of the work. Experience means you're in a better position to judge whether there is a run there, fumbled balls look like opportunities to run, but I've seen so many people fooled by the fumbled ball. Backing up (The off-strike batsman) is another aspect that is important and can go wrong if you're not alert.

So Far its going really well... I'm catching on quite quickly to the different batting style, and the judging of whether or not a run should be attempted is not unlike judging whether a baserunner should attempt taking another base in baseball... watching for fumbled balls is a skill that is great to have for sure... as a former outfielder we used to feign losing sight of the ball, or making it look like it will get past us to try and trick runners... I do hope that sort of gamemanship is in play here too haha

My hand eye coordination, and ability to make solid contact is another factor I have going for me... It's not the most competitive level of play here in the Maritimes, and from comments from the coach, and other players they are starting to have some good expectations from me... hopefully I can live up to that lol

So Far its going really well... I'm catching on quite quickly to the different batting style, and the judging of whether or not a run should be attempted is not unlike judging whether a baserunner should attempt taking another base in baseball... watching for fumbled balls is a skill that is great to have for sure... as a former outfielder we used to feign losing sight of the ball, or making it look like it will get past us to try and trick runners... I do hope that sort of gamemanship is in play here too haha

My hand eye coordination, and ability to make solid contact is another factor I have going for me... It's not the most competitive level of play here in the Maritimes, and from comments from the coach, and other players they are starting to have some good expectations from me... hopefully I can live up to that lol

Yeah definitely allowed, but I've never seen it done purposely! Who's your coach has he a background in cricket or just a good all round coach?

I haven't
Yeah definitely allowed, but I've never seen it done purposely! Who's your coach has he a background in cricket or just a good all round coach?

I haven't really sat with him and asked his full background in the sport, as I am quite busy picking his mind for as many tips and help I can get LOL... I know he's from Jamaica, and has played quite awhile... he seems to have a solid grasp of what he wants us to accomplish, and what areas he wants us to improve on compared to the last couple of teams we've had... mainly defense, and a smarter more disciplined approach at bat... He's quite good at breaking down techniques and everyone seems to be impressed at our overall improvement to date

We're still training indoors, as the weather just is not cooperating with us to enable us to get outside yet... but very soon... hopefully this weekend if the field is dry enough

I haven't

I haven't really sat with him and asked his full background in the sport, as I am quite busy picking his mind for as many tips and help I can get LOL... I know he's from Jamaica, and has played quite awhile... he seems to have a solid grasp of what he wants us to accomplish, and what areas he wants us to improve on compared to the last couple of teams we've had... mainly defense, and a smarter more disciplined approach at bat... He's quite good at breaking down techniques and everyone seems to be impressed at our overall improvement to date

We're still training indoors, as the weather just is not cooperating with us to enable us to get outside yet... but very soon... hopefully this weekend if the field is dry enough

Weather - same here, everything is being cancelled - training, matches right up to County level, we've just had the rainiest April on record here in the South East of England. Our home pitch is almost a pond
464862_3945270114057_1349144119_3598294_164676966_o.jpg

The clubhouse which you can just see beyond the tree is surrounded by water. It's a really bad start to the season.

Weather - same here, everything is being cancelled - training, matches right up to County level, we've just had the rainiest April on record here in the South East of England. Our home pitch is almost a pond
464862_3945270114057_1349144119_3598294_164676966_o.jpg

The clubhouse which you can just see beyond the tree is surrounded by water. It's a really bad start to the season.

ok we're not that bad... I am thinking we should be able to hit the field this weekend... but the Club seems to want to wait another week...

The boys are getting pretty eager to get outside lol

Another thing batsman has to watch initially are the quick and strong armed fielders. At times expecting a normal return throw from deep could surprise you. While I wait for my batting from pavilion, we keep an eye on the fielders and keep discussing about who has got most accurate throws and who among the fielders are worth taking a risky run. "Pick your fielders" as the wise men of cricket say. :)

Another thing batsman has to watch initially are the quick and strong armed fielders. At times expecting a normal return throw from deep could surprise you. While I wait for my batting from pavilion, we keep an eye on the fielders and keep discussing about who has got most accurate throws and who among the fielders are worth taking a risky run. "Pick your fielders" as the wise men of cricket say. :)

That's a good idea, one of those things that is obvious and common sense, that you might not even think about.

It is amazing how quickly you can get between the wickets... and how long it takes for a fielder to move... pick up the ball and release it. Trust your partner... more often than not its indecision that causes a run out, rather than a bad call itself.

Back