Sandeep Patil turns down India A job

teddy

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/243992.html

A coach's tale
Cricinfo staff
April 11, 2006

Sandeep Patil, the former Indian middle-order batsman and coach, has rejected an offer to coach India A on their forthcoming tour to Abu Dhabi and Australia.

"I would have loved to coach and accompany the team but I have other coaching commitments as well as media duties," Patil, 49, told Mid Day, a Mumbai-based tabloid. "Coaching an India team is something very dear to me. I did make myself available earlier this year and even communicated it to the board."

Patil, who guided Kenya to the dizzy heights of the World Cup semi-final in 2003, had spurned a last-minute call-up to coach the India A side against the touring South Africans in 2004. He had earlier expressed a desire for a long-term contract and wasn't too impressed with the board summoning him for duties at the last minute.

"I heard nothing before yesterday when secretary Niranjan Shah called me to ask me if I can accompany the team to Abu Dhabi and Australia," he continued. "This is most unfortunate. I have been India A coach since 1994 but still haven't been able to get a contract."

© Cricinfo

Back