Shoaib doubtful for third Test

indiancricketer

Shoaib doubtful for third Test

Cricinfo staff

January 26, 2006

Shoaib Akhtar faces an early end to a frustrating series

Pakistan's strike bowler, Shoaib Akhtar, may miss the third Test against India at Karachi next week, after aggravating an ankle problem during the two drawn matches at Lahore and Faisalabad.

Shoaib was the bowler of the series in the Tests against England last month, picking up 17 wickets in three matches. But he has struggled to make any impact on the current series, with just one wicket in 41.2 overs, and according to Pakistan team sources, a decision on his fitness will be taken in two days' time.

"Yes his ankle is bothering him and right now we are not sure if he will be completely fit for the Test," Pakistan's captain, Inzamam-ul-Haq told Reuters. "But he is very keen to play and take some wickets which is good news."

In spite of his poor returns at Lahore and Faisalabad, Inzamam recognised that Shoaib's absence would be a huge blow to Pakistan's prospects of victory, especially as Karachi is widely expected to offer more assistance for the bowlers on both sides.

"Hopefully things will be different in the final Test," said Inzamam. "I do feel sorry for Shoaib and the other bowlers because in my entire career I have not really seen Tests turning out this way and the batsmen dominating the way they have done so far in this series."

"We are keen to get a result from this series because the last two series have been very well contested and it would be a pity if we didn't have a clear winner."

? Cricinfo

Back