South Africa In Sri Lanka

futureblackcap

South Africa look to put the Champions Trophy behind them.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-south-africa-2013/content/story/651435.html

• South Africa ODI squad: AB de Villiers (capt.), Hashim Amla, Farhaan Behardien, Quinton de Kock, Faf du Plessis, JP Duminy, Colin Ingram, Rory Kleinveldt, Ryan Mclaren, David Miller, Morne Morkel, Chris Morris, Alviro Petersen, Robin Peterson, Aaron Phangiso, Lonwabo Tsotsobe​
  • South Africa T20 squad: Faf du Plessis (capt.), Farhaan Behardien, Henry Davids, Quinton de Kock, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Imran Tahir, Rory Kleinveldt, Ryan McLaren, David Miller, Morne Morkel, Chris Morris, Wayne Parnell, Aaron Phangiso, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, David Wiese​

Sri Lanka look like they've found form, and I think they'll get the better of this Test-less series. South Africa are a fantastic Test team, but I think they're experimenting a little too much in the shorter forms of the game. I get that they're trying to make their ODI and T20 sides less focussed on the Test players, but it doesn't yet seem like they've found the winning formula like they've done in the whites. They'll put up a fight, but I don't think they'll win either series.

Agreed. Although SL's bowling would still be a slight concern for me.

SA bowlers such as McLaren, Parnell and Kleinveldt don't really cut it for me although McLaren has looked decent at times. Too many inexperienced batsmen as well and if you don't pick your best bowlers like Vernon Phillander...don't expect to win.

Why aren't Graeme Smith, Jacques Kallis and Dale Steyn selected?????????:eek:
Injury recovery (ankle, looking to return in October), don't know, injury recovery/workload management.

I thought Kallis was injured, but evidently he isn't. It's possible that South Africa are looking ahead to the 2015 World Cup in just over 18 months time, and are trying to solidify their core selection group. Kallis will be 39 years old at the next World Cup, let's not forget. After missing the recent Champions Trophy for "personal reasons", it may just be that he's easing off on his workload. We may even see a retirement from ODIs and T20s soon. Who knows?

Well I don't think SA's second string bowlers are spring chickens either so maybe they just need to play their best side possible, while trying to brood one or two younger players into the side (not eight?).

Sri Lanka have thrashed SA in the opening ODI. Sangakkara showing his class once again, smashing 169 in their total of 320.

Herath and Perera bowling SA out for just 140!

Back