Static Stretching

Boris

Static Stretching

I know this has been discussed everywhere... but my laziness prevents me from searching all the threads looking for this in particular.

I know static stretching is wrong, and have never really done it as a warm up myself, but I see A LOT of other people doing it, particularly before power exercises.

I tell them not to do it, and they are always 'not stretch before activity, are you crazy?!' believing static stretching is the be all and end all of warm ups.

I then have no particular reply. I know it reduces power, and that it should only be used for warm downs, but no justifiable evidence to tell them that what they are doing is wrong. They then shake their heads and continue doing it.

So I'm asking for help to justify my argument and not only win, but hopefully help them too!

Thank you in advance.

Re: Static Stretching

Liz Ward;240660 said:
Static Stretches are not only irrelevant within the game of cricket but are most likely to cause injury and loss of power.
[Kokkonen, Nelson and Cornwall 1998].

Static Stretching resulted in peak force reduction: 5% reduction in rate of force production and 8% decrease in Achilles tendon reflex activity.
[Rosenbaum and Hennig 1995]

Static Stretching resulted in a decrease in torque during eccentric contractions.
[Oberg 1993]

Static Stretches decrease eccentric strength by 9% for up to one hour.
[Bennett 1999]

Would you like me to go on? ;)

This all refers to pre-exercise stretches. As David said, warm ups are extremely important, as are post-exercise stretches.

From http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t57476/

Also, Smith et al (1993) report that static stretching leads to higher level of DOMS than not stretching.

HOWEVER... dynamic stretching is very important.

I see there for a lot to do with reduced power, and understand why.

What are the problems with injury? Maybe start with what DOMS means :D

If I tell someone to not static stretch before going for a long run because of power reduction I'm afriad they are probably not going to be too worried. It's more the injuries used in convincing there.

Thanks again Liz and Dave, those articles are very helpful too.

DOMS = Delayed onset muscle stiffness. Basically, the soreness you feel a day or two after exercise.

You need to explain to them there is a better way of stretching before a game etc and that is dynamic. Try to convey that it is still stretching but in a way that is more suited to what they are going to do.

Think of it this way - most people will do stretches that work on the hamstring, so instead of doing the stretch standing 'still' they are done whilst walking using high knee lifts. It's a basic way of looking at it but you can see what I mean.

You Tube 'Dynamic Stretching' for examples.

Yes, I see.

Any other injury threats other than DOMS? Just thinking it might be some of the reason why I have been injured quite a lot.

Sorry Boris, I had not realised that you were asking a general question and I replied with respect to cricket only. I am afraid the answers you are looking for would fill a book.

There are activities where static stretching prior to participation is mandatory. However, not until the muscles have been warmed up. You should never stretch a muscle whilst cold. This must be left to professionals; physios, sports therapists etc.

If we stick to cricket, the possible injuries are self explanatory. For example, I am sure you can imagine what the affects of an 8% reduction in Achillies Tendon reflex activity are :). I am sure you are also aware of the importance of eccentric phases in movement. Any deficit in this area impacts on the concentric phase and can cause any number and combination of injury; chronic and accute.

Chest Stretch

• Stand tall, feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent
  • Hold your arms out to the side parallel with the ground and the palms of the hand facing forward
  • Stretch the arms back as far as possible
  • You should feel the stretch across your chest

Biceps Stretch

• Stand tall, feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent
  • Hold your arms out to the side parallel with the ground and the palms of the hand facing forward
  • Rotate the hands so the palms face to the rear
  • Stretch the arms back as far as possible
  • You should feel the stretch across your chest and in the biceps

Upper Back Stretch

• Interlock your fingers and push your hands as far away from your chest as possible, allowing your upper back to relax
  • You should feel the stretch between your shoulder blades

Shoulder Stretch

• Place your right arm, parallel with the ground across the front of your chest
  • Bend the left arm up and use the left forearm to ease the right arm closer to you chest
  • You will feel the stretch in the shoulder
  • Repeat with the other arm

Shoulder and Triceps Stretch

• Place both hands above your head and then slide both of your hands down the middle of your spine
  • You will feel the stretch in the shoulders and the triceps

Back