Stretches for Flexibilty (Legs)

Re: Stretches for Flexibilty (Legs)

Great thread Liz, it's amazing how different a stretch can feel when you do it with proper form!!

I was wondering though - are there any stretches for the muscles on the front of the lower leg (beside the shins)? It seems like the standard leg stretches you see don't do anything for this.

Also, the muscles on the soles of my feet (near the instep) often feel sore when I start running/bowling - I've started stretching them by doing 'like' a calf stretch on my toes to stretch them out (i.e. raise heels further rather than push them to ground) and this helps, but is there a real stretch I can do for this?

Thanks.

Hi Ed,

The only way to stretch the tibialis anterior is to sit upright, legs stretched out in front of you, feet parallel pointing upwards.

Have somebody hold the top of your feet as you dorsi flex [pull your toes towards you] against their resistance. You could probably hook your feet under a fixed structure if you can find one low enough.

For your foot:

Flex your foot at the ankle; up and down.
Whilst doing this, curl your toes as you go down, stretch your toes back as you come up.
Then reverse.

This is best done with bare feet ;)

At home, take your shoes off and role your feet over a baked bean can to give it a good massage.

Hope this helps, if not, please come back to me.

Does it have to be baked beans or will a can of soup be OK - messin' :D

Thanks Liz, I'll give them a try
Cheers
Ed

No sorry... it has to be baked beans.

Beans contain a dynamic energy that you cannot get from any other food source. Each bean only contains a little but when you put them all together in a can, a chemical change occurs. This is stored in the sauce but when you roll your feet over the can, it releases the energy and transfers it through the metal. It is not the rolling that relaxes the muscle but the energy as it radiates through it.

Unfortunately, the beans tend to taste a bit cheesey afterwards so perhaps you shouldn't eat them.

Back