Surrey Sign Chris Lewis for the Twenty20's

mas cambios

Surrey Sign Chris Lewis for the Twenty20's

Surrey have signed former England allrounder Chris Lewis on a pay-as-you-play contract for this season's Twenty20 Cup.

Lewis, 40, has been playing regular club cricket since quitting the first-class game in 2000 and has impressed people with his hard-hitting batting and quick bowling at the death in outings for the PCA Masters.

Is this is an inspired choice or lunacy? The guy had it all but never really delivered, despite many chances. He's been playing a reasonable level and is obviously fit but is he going to be good enough?

The Surrey coach, Alan Butcher had this to say:

"Initially I didn't take it too seriously, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought, 'maybe it's not quite so mad'. Twenty20 is a young batsman's game but I'm not so convinced it's a young bowler's game. Experience counts for a lot."

Do you agree that Twenty20 favours the older bowler or is it youth all the way?

Re: Surrey Sign Chris Lewis for the Twenty20's

It's a tough one really. In one way it's disappointing that Surrey have gone for someone who is just in for instant success (if they're lucky) and won't improve or be an option for England. But I think 20twenty could be about experience in the same way that death bowling in 50 over cricket is. For example, Darren Gough only really got better for england as a death bowler and even as he lost pace when he got older he was doing a job in international cricket.

iI cant help but think that by doing this they could be holding an youngster back?

where will it end? when we see rooney playing for lancashire?

if experience matters that much then wouldnt it be better to hire him to coach. some things are only learnt through experience but im sure there are many things that he could pass onto them which he has learnt through his experience. how will the unexperienced youngsters gain expirence if only the experienced keep playing?

I think if he can help them win the competetion then it is a good move. Every team wants to win the cup so why would it matter if they are playing a youngster or a old player as long as they get the result. Sachin would be 37-38 by time of 2011 WC but most Indian fans want him to play because he can win the cup for India.

Almost_Austwick said:
Do you agree that Twenty20 favours the older bowler or is it youth all the way?

Young English pace bowlers haven't done too fantastically at T20, tbh.

manee said:

I agree with that, the biggest successes seem to come from those bowlers that can take the pace of the ball.

manee said:

With the notable exception of Stuart Broad. But in general, I'd agree with that, spinners seem to do much better.

He retired from first class cricket 8 years ago :eek: Whats he doing playing now then?
I dont know what is the level at PCA Masters but it seems a bit strange to me that a guy is coming out of retirement after 8 years.

I'd assume that standard of the level he was playing on must have been comparable to first class cricket otherwise it would be a big mistake to sign him. If he can win them the Twenty20 Championship then I don't see anything wrong with his selection.

from what i know he was playing premier league standard cricket (probably equal to county 2nds in the leagues he was in) and the PCA is probably the same but more of a benefit nature

Back