Tendulkar declines Test Captaincy

AB

Tendulkar declines Test Captaincy

Sachin Tendulkar has declined the Indian Test captaincy, citing personal reasons, two days before the national selectors are scheduled to decide on the position. "I don't feel right about it at the moment," Tendulkar told CNN-IBN, an Indian news channel.

Tendulkar, 34, was widely tipped to be named as India's Test captain - he was vice-captain during the Test series in Bangladesh and England - after Rahul Dravid resigned in September. However, it is believed he has met the board of selectors and stated his reluctance.

Source: Cricinfo

I think its the right decision by Sachin. He had a poor record as a captain and it affected his batting. With him declining the offer, the job is most likely to go to Mahendra Singh Dhoni. Many people feel that Sourav Ganguly should be made the Test Captain, but having separate captains in ODIs and Tests might not be good for the team.

Re: Tendulkar declines Test Captaincy

I would select Dhoni for the job - look to the future.

Ganguly would be a backwards step and there is no guareentee that he would enjoy the same level of success as in his first stint.

Tendulkar has made the right chioce, a great player but simply not captain material.

Yuvraj doesn't have a guaranteed spot in the Test team. India have four regular middle order batsmen in Sachin, Sourav, Dravid and Laxman so its hard to find a place for him until one of them has a lean patch.

I think Dhoni will be fine, Stewart and Gilchrist have both kept, batted and captained.

Plus Dhoni has the luxury of some great players coming before him.

Almost_Austwick said:
I think Dhoni will be fine, Stewart and Gilchrist have both kept, batted and captained.

However, the latter is one of the worst captains of all time when put under a smidgen of pressure.

Gilchrist is a fanstastic vice captain, and when called upon to captain, he does well. I think what you're getting at Manee is full games when Punter isn't available?

Well its hard for anyone to captain and do another job, never mind two. I know from experience at my age level that its hard. I cannot imagine the pressure captains are under with a countries hopes on pretty much your shoulders.

Has Gilchrist ever really panicked though? He's never really had the job long enough to really show his stuff but he did lead Australia to a series win in India, something which eluded the best of their recent captains.

I also say well done to Tendulkar for being honest, the easiest thing would have been to take the post and gone into it halfheartedly. Dhoni is the logical choice, although if they could find Singh a spot he would be worth considering.

correct decision by tendulkar. he cant captain and we need his batting more than captaincy. i think dhoni is the favourite to become captain now but he is still very new so im not sure if it is the right decision.

why do indian batsmen always have slump in form when they are made captain. ganguly was a good captain but his batting form was poor during that time. the same could happen to dhoni they should give it to a bowler for a change.

kumble said that he is ready to accept captaincy......dhoni is less experenced he should not be the test captain......it will be too much pressure for him to do batting, keeping and captaincy......either ganguly or kumble should be captain.

Correct thing to do i feel. His first stint wasn't anything need spectacular. I think Dhoni should take the captaincy as he seems fairly decent in the ODI game, he may aswell have a swipe, he has the experience of Gangers, Sachin, Dravid and himself on the field in Tests so he wont be short of ideas.

i dont know much bout india but i think ganguly should be given it back.

Did they announce the captian? I think Dhoni should not be captain because he doesnt have much experience.

They will need to annonce it soon, why not give Dhoni a chance to be national captain rather than a part captain.

Im waiting for the day when a team has 3 captains to cover all forms of the game!

Back