Twenty20 lure could bring early retirements

AB

Twenty20 lure could bring early retirements

Nearly half of the players contracted by Cricket Australia and the six states would consider early retirement to play in an Indian Twenty20 league, according to a survey conducted by the Australian Cricketers' Association (ACA). The results, published in the Age, also showed major disillusionment among the players over the ICC's governance of the game.

Asked if they would consider early retirement from international cricket to play in either the Indian Premier League or the Indian Cricket League, 47% of Cricket Australia-contracted players said "yes", along with 49% of players with state deals. Paul Marsh, the ACA chief executive, said the results were a clear indication that the ICC must include the IPL in the Future Tours Programme.

Full Article

These signs are not good. I can't see youngsters retiring for IPL, but they might for ICL. 75% of them are of the opinion that ICL is good for the game. I'm sure ICL would be very happy with the results of this survey. They might try to target these players now.

Re: Twenty20 lure could bring early retirements

Thats astonishing. These cricketers are already well paid but then the leagues are offering astronomical sums of money so you cant put full blame on them. ICC cant do anything about ICL but they need to make a window for IPL.

Its very hard to get in the Australian team. Only 10-15% of the players would have a chance so its not surprising that players who feel they dont have a chance to make it at the international level would opt for finiancial security over playing domestic cricket in Australia.

I wonder what the average age if an Australian state team is? I get the feeling it would be late 20's to very early 30's.

Might explain the high returns for the retire to the ICL option.

I would imagine so. I hear the competetion is fierce in Australia so to get into a domestic team you would have to be a good player. I think the players who are 30 would more or less know if they have any chance of playing international cricket.

They should be proud and consider themselves lucky to be able to play for their states. Its a shame that so many cricketers play cricket purely for money these days.

I think that's unbelievably stupid, I'd much rather play international cricket than some mickey mouse T20 tournament. The pride of playing for your country should be much higher than playing some T20 tournament. If you're retired from international cricket then fair enough, but international cricketers should see international cricket as the priority, if i was lucky enough to have the chance to play for England, I wouldn't pass it up in favour of the IPL or ICL.

If they dont have a chance to be selected for the national team or they are nearing retirement then playing in T20 leagues can be a very attractive option. But if someone turns down the opportunity to play for his country for this then they must be extremely greedy.

Back