Video Analysis Software

Re: Video Analysis Software

TonyM;403448 said:
Onemoreover, isn't perception a wonderful thing :) I was just looking at the comments from players and thinking 'this really backs up my view that letting players see their actions without a specific focus is a dangerous thing'. Jim's comment that "i tried for a while to "correct" my action back to the conventional wisdom, but it didnt work" is the big fear from players using VA on their own

further to that point, players using VA on their own are also susceptible to YouTube, forums, etc. there have been a number of people on YouTube that have commented on my videos with very specific instructions on what i should change to be better. sometimes the advice has been sound, but on occasions its been totally incorrect. generally ive had to try it out to find out either way though. there are also generalisations on how certain styles of bowling should be performed, and they dont always suit everyone. so even innocent advice can create issues. this forum has a fairly avid leg spin community, and there is a lot of knowledge and wisdom floating around, so the advice has been sound for me. but normally the internet has more mis-information than good information.

as a counter argument though, ive had just as much bad advice from fellow players in net practice about what i should change. one net session there were some guys practicing 2 lanes down, who werent really even watching me that much, but just said "your bowling arm needs to be much higher, then youll be more accurate". im quite an arrogant and stubborn person, so generally i politely accept comments, but then mentally discard information instantly as i think i know best, and then later il often come back to it and realise that it was good advice and then il heed it. in this case it was poor advice based on no sound reasoning. but if i was your average kid that respected the senior players at the club, id have taken that comment on board and my bowling would have suffered. the better advice ive had from my peers has been about tactics rather than technique, and this is much more useful. a batsman telling you where to land the ball to make their life more difficult for example.

in general i think VA is probably best utilised in conjunction with proper coaching. for those that cant afford regular coaching though i think self analysis still has a place. you just have to be very careful about what you change. it also helps to be a member of a community like this one where there are several coaches that generously give their time and expertise for free. Liz Ward in particular for me has been extremely helpful, but implementing her advice has taken me a LONG time, and im still not fully there. in a one-to-one coaching session i could probably have made the required changes in just a few sessions. hence VA is probably best used in conjunction with coaching.

onemoreover;403444 said:
Now see Liz, this proves the point. Demented Chipmunk? This ......................

sexychipmonk.jpg

................was definitely not the perception I had of you. :D

Wow! Mess up the hair a little and add a bit more grey and it's me :eek:

Jim2109;403466 said:
... Liz Ward in particular for me has been extremely helpful, but implementing her advice has taken me a LONG time, and im still not fully there. in a one-to-one coaching session i could probably have made the required changes in just a few sessions. hence VA is probably best used in conjunction with coaching.

Thank you J. :)

I totally agree with the last few lines. I do not coach anymore but would love to work with coaches. You really need somebody with you. It is easy for me to say what needs tweaking but it is hard for you to tweak it without somebody watching and saying, "... Yes, that's perfect!", or "... just a little more" etc.

I also 'feel' a lot, which is why I tend to work with adults. I can, more often than not, change an action by reprogramming a muscle [neuromuscular short cut] but, as you can imagine, this is very hands on... but extremely effective.

Just reading through this thread again, I had further thoughts on the subject of "perceptions" and the realities that VA may deliver, that were touched on earlier. I may be going a little off topic here, so if I am my apologies, but......

I couldn't help considering the role of the talent scout. Considering that they may make decisions, recommendations and/or form opinions based potentially on limited exposure and knowledge of specific players, where do they fit into the possible distortions of perception. To keep the post in context if possible, does VA have any place for use within the talent scout role in any way? Could it even be incorporated in a practical sense? Or is the role of talent scout best left totally clear of VA use.

With my limited knowledge, I would tend to say talent scouts would not have any use for VA. Their observational and networking skills, game understanding, research abilities and their "perception" will always be among their primary tools.

Anyone's thoughts?

Back