Watching the Ball

Boris

Watching the Ball

I have a slight problem of not watching the ball. Only slight, huh!

I sort of watch it just after it comes out of the hand but I end up not watching it after that, just sort of watching the air anywhere around it. I am starting to develop a technique/habit where I don't have to watch the ball, and it sort of works, but not against good bowlers. I really don't want this technique/habit to expand more than it has and I really need help with watching the ball, especially with pace, I can with spin fairly easily but still tend not to. Even when I try to I can't. Is there something wrong with my technique or can't I move fast enough?

Re: Watching the Ball

Watch the ball. One of the biggest rules. Concentrate and watch it. I have the same problem. My problem is from lack of concentration.

Well technically you can't watch the ball all the way anyway. The important thing is to try. A good trigger that works for some people is to watch the seam. It focuses the mind on a tiny portion of the ball.

when i'm catching i watch the ball all the way into my hands easily, and all lot of the catches i get are coming fast and i don't have a problem then. it's only when i'm batting with the helmet on and standing side-on. do you have any drills for this, because i seriously can't find the ball, i concentrate just on finding the thing. and my eyesight is better than average.

Try using different coloured tennis balls to help train the eye. You can also add in various commands or actions, which will help you to pick up the ball and respond to it. Could be something like hit a blue ball over the top, red ball to the offside, defend a yellow one.

Practice will help, as will making sure that you play in places that have decent lighting and white backgrounds.

Focus on the ball from the moment it's in the bowlers hand and watch it all the way or as much of the way as you can.

thanks for that, i will try it.

this probably doesnt belong in this forum but do you have any guidelines for setting a helmet. no matter where i set it i have the grill in the wrong place and it drags my attention away. these are all basic things but if you get the basics wrong then i guess i cant progress

The only real correct way to set a grill is so the ball is unable to get through the gap.

You'll have to play around with settings (use the screws on the side) and see what feels the best. It'll be a bit of trial and error but it's the only way really. Also, bear in mind that if you're not used to wearing a helmet, then it'll take a bit of time to get used to it.

Make sure the helmet fits correctly, use the inserts provided or small bits of foam to make sure it's snug and doesn't move around too much.

I've also have a real problem watching the ball, so I have been reading up on it. In the nets today I tried Bob Woolmers (?) method of watching the ball out of the bowlers hand, then looking at the spot you think it will bounce (therefore, technically taking your eye off the ball!) It really worked well, played the best I have ever played.

I have recently tried tying a ball to a string, hanging it up somewhere and playing the ball, purely focusing on watching it. Because it comes from such a short distance, it really helps you watch the ball all the way on to the bat.

Back