Who will win the Allan Border Medal?

Who will win the Allan Border Medal?

Well the Allan Border Medal night is nearly upon us once again.

So, who will win it? Many believe this season will be one of the closest counts in the history of the medal. To refresh peoples memory's, here are the previous winners of the medal.

Previous winners of AB medal (note that each winner was based on the player's performance in the year preceeding their award)

2000: Glenn McGrath
2001: Steve Waugh
2002: Matthew Hayden
2003: Adam Gilchrist
2004: Ricky Ponting
2005: Michael Clarke
2006: Ricky Ponting
2007: Ricky Ponting
2008: Brett Lee
2009: Ricky Ponting and Michael Clarke (no countback used)

Obviously those players that play both test matchs and ODI's are at an advantage, as the history of past winners shows.

My tip is Shane Watson - the only thing i think will stop him is dodgy voting on behalf of the media. In 2005 Damien Martyn should have won the medal but many believe the media robbed him off votes due to their dislike for him.

Shane Watson's stats in both test and ODI cricket are unavoidable, with both bat and ball.

The count will be shown on foxsports live, with Brendon Julian the MC. This makes for a change when in the past Ch 9 have shown the count on delay with Mark Nicholas hosting which has made for many cringeworthy moments. :eek:

Re: Who will win the Allan Border Medal?

I expect Johnson will win it. Watson has been impressive, but he's only been in the side for half the year.

Watson will win it by a mile, or at least he should. He has had a reprimand hasn't he? Is he elligable?

Can't think of any one else who plays both forms who has had a stand out, Hauritz will do ok I think, Katich will get a few votes for his tests.

Johnson will do well as he plays all form and is a "popular" player. Played a good test series V South Africa but that is all really.

I'm more disgusted that the event isn;t telecast until 12-30am on Tueday morning. Cricket's "Night of Nights" as it was built up to be when it was first introduced has completely been shun to the side. There is no way this would ever happen to the Brownlow.

Anyway, I think Watson would have to win, but Johnson may be the best bet due to the fact that he has played more games in both areas of the game. Clarke was also in fair form early in the year and could be an outside hope for his 3rd medal

Just found that out actually. It still stinks for those that don;t have Foxtel.

To be honest I'd rather watch Winter Olympics highlights than 2 hours of blather and speeches.

Regarding eligibility, I think Watson is still up for it because he wasn't suspended (just fined).

Would Bollinger be of any chance? He didn't play as much, so might be lacking points, but I think he would take some points off the other guys.

A great concept but unfortunately poorly executed in my opinion. Until the umpires vote 1,2 & 3 like the Brownlow, it will recieve nothing but a glance on my tv. Vote counts must be edge of the seaters. Not opening up an envelope and announcing the winner. The media dont need to vote. Then can have their own awards.
Well done Watto all the same.

Back