Why We Can Beat South Africa

gbatman

Why We Can Beat South Africa

Most have already written Australia off from beating South Africa but we are a better chance to beat them than we were when we played them here. And here is why...

Why We Can Win

Hayden out Phill Hughes in. Hughes is the best opener in Australia and will debut against South Africa. He should prove to be a good player for a very long time for us.

Bryce McGain. South Africa had a free run in the middle overs but not this time. We will have McGain who is a wicket taking spinner getting break throughs that we need with the old ball.

Andrew McDonald. If there is swing, he will find it. His batting while nothing special is handy and will be fairly effective with his swing and off cut.

Mike Hussey has found form and confidence in the one day series.

Peter Siddle to make a name for himself the same way Stewart Clark did over there.

Their wickets are as close to Australian wickets as you can get over seas so there is no real home advantage for them.

Smith is injured. I don't know if he'll play but he's been out and will have lost some form.

Doug Bollinger will prove why he's been the premier state bowler the last few seasons. His swing, seam and bounce will trouble their batsmen.

Brad Haddin is finding his place and is getting into form with his batting.

We won last time we played and proved we can do it.

What Went Wrong In The Australian Tests

These players played:
Hayden - was well past it.
Watson - isn't up to test cricket. Always getting injured. Maby if he doesn't get injured.
Symonds - is only up to test cricket when in his best form but was at his worst form and is looking like he's finished.
Krejza - Bowls without variation. Got spanked for hardly any wickets.
Lee - Without the ability to bowl 150km/hr + he has nothing. He used to have swing but that's gone. He's past it. Unless he can swing the ball again.

These players were out of form but will be back:
Michael Hussey
Ricky Ponting

We didn't pick a swing bowler until the last test (Bollinger and McDonald).
McGain still injured and we played a defencive spinner (Hauritz) and one not ready yet (Krejza).
Haddin's keeping.

What went right
Simon Katich's batting.
Ricky Ponting begun to find form.
Peter Siddle's rise as something special.
Haddin hit his first 100.
Bollinger bowled very well but not rewarded with many wickets.
McDonald taking some crucial wickets to help win the Sydney test.
Johnson's ripping 145km/hr off cutters and general good bowling all summer.
Clark finding some form.
Winning the Sydney Test.

Re: Why We Can Beat South Africa

Great post but I'd like to discuss some finer points..

McDonald for one, I think will struggle to get a game, do you think the Aussies need the extra bat in North or the bowler in McDonald tbh??

Once Watson is fit he will prove to the world that he is a gun IMO..

MY side would be
Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
McGain
Siddle
Bollinger

with McDonald Hilfenhaus and Hauritz missing out

Hopefully you are right about Smith because he was one we just couldn't seem to handle, and I think we need to work harder on getting Amla out, he just kept getting starts

ants14;326164 said:
Great post but I'd like to discuss some finer points..

McDonald for one, I think will struggle to get a game, do you think the Aussies need the extra bat in North or the bowler in McDonald tbh??

Once Watson is fit he will prove to the world that he is a gun IMO..

MY side would be
Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
McGain
Siddle
Bollinger

with McDonald Hilfenhaus and Hauritz missing out

Hopefully you are right about Smith because he was one we just couldn't seem to handle, and I think we need to work harder on getting Amla out, he just kept getting starts

Agreed.

The Aussie selectors are obsessed with the idea of an all-rounder. McDonald is a swing bowler and Watson is a seamer. McDonald adds something different to the attack and because of his swing would be desireable in England but Watson is a far better batsmen.

But I do like the look of the side listed there.
4 bowlers is fine if there is devirsity in the attack which there is:
Siddle - Seam
Bollinger - Swing and Seam
Johnson - off cut
McGain - Spin

and we have part time slow bowling of Clarke and Katich.

McDonald was very good in the Sydney test but his batting doesn't look good enough for test cricket.

And Hilfenhaus bowls short shit and unless he learns to bowl full I wouldn't consider him at all.

Bollinger and Siddle look to be a dangerous new ball attack, left arm/right arm swing and seam attack. Plenty of bounce and aggression from both, then Johnson on first change then McGain to get wickets with the old ball.

McDonald allows us to realistically push for 20 wickets.

His a capable batsmen and averages 40 odd this season at shied level. I'd prefer to see him in the team because i believe his bowling will play a important role, as we saw in the Sydney test.

He had match figures of 3 /70 in that game which is exactly what we needed.

He did, got some crucial wickets and I wouldn't mind seeing him play at all. First change, if there's swing he'll get it.

He didn't look good against the short pitched fast stuff and he'll get plenty of that from them, be good to see him go after the short stuff a bit.

Can't wait for this series. One of the biggest and most important series I have ever seen. The battle for number 1 ranking.
I recon the Indian series and the South African series beatings are the beatings we needed to have. Sorted out the cream crap. Perhaps the "sorting out" hasn't finished and a lot of players will be tested to see if they are good enough or not.

At the end of the SA tour we will be ready for England!

Smashing them, although McGain hasn't been played yet I am sure he would have had an impact in those games, especially in the last days. I recon McGain would be great for cleaning up their tail as their tail look vulnerable to spin.

Back