Wicket Data

All the international players dismissal stats are at www.howstat.com There are nice pie charts for modes of dismissal going all the way back. I found looking through all the main leg spinners back to Grimmett that they all got 50% of their wickets via outfield catches and another 10% caught by the keeper. The only thing that really varies is the other modes of dismissal.

All the international players dismissal stats are at www.howstat.com There are nice pie charts for modes of dismissal going all the way back. I found looking through all the main leg spinners back to Grimmett that they all got 50% of their wickets via outfield catches and another 10% caught by the keeper. The only thing that really varies is the other modes of dismissal.

That's it then - it's conclusive, as a Leggie, you're in part only as good as your fielders, so if you're in a Sunday friendly team or a 3rd, 4th or lower XI or a youngster your figures are always going to look like crap despite the fact that you may well be bowling superbly yet your fielders aren't up to it. Yet another downside to being a wrist spinner!!!!

I got 57 wickets this year at an average of about 11 or 12. I think the breakdown was roughly 30% bowled, 30% lbw, 35% caught and 5% stumped.

I think the reason I tend to get a higher percentage of bowled and lbws because I bowl quite quick for a spinner, I bowl at the stumps every ball, and I turn the ball both ways - that and the fact that my home games are played on a pitch that the makes that Galle track look flat and grassy, lol.

That's it then - it's conclusive, as a Leggie, you're in part only as good as your fielders, so if you're in a Sunday friendly team or a 3rd, 4th or lower XI or a youngster your figures are always going to look like crap despite the fact that you may well be bowling superbly yet your fielders aren't up to it. Yet another downside to being a wrist spinner!!!!

Alternatively Dave, its something that coaches/captains need to consider both when picking teams/placing fielders and when planning out training sessions. In all honesty there are very few high catches percentage wise if you have an all pace attack (the odd leading edge?), but for a leggie I would guess a fair proportion of those catches were in the air a good while.

I had 3 leggies in my district side and we worked more than 'normal' on high catches and swapped fielders around based purely on their catching ability ie had some lesser fielders in some of the more active positions just so I could have my best catchers in key spots. Their combined figures over the three games were: 33-3-119-11, however the best laid plans don't always work out as their 11 wickets broke down as 8 bowled, 3 caught of which 2 were caught and bowled! Was a bit surprised to see no stumpings either but the keeper comes from a different club so didnt really get his timing with the any of the spinners (they are all a bit different) but lots of appeals which probably contributed to batsmen being in two minds - backs up my comment to Macca this time last year, make sure you get a couple of 1-2-1 sessions with the keeper so he is totally happy with facing 'your' leg spin

Alternatively Dave, its something that coaches/captains need to consider both when picking teams/placing fielders and when planning out training sessions. In all honesty there are very few high catches percentage wise if you have an all pace attack (the odd leading edge?), but for a leggie I would guess a fair proportion of those catches were in the air a good while.

I had 3 leggies in my district side and we worked more than 'normal' on high catches and swapped fielders around based purely on their catching ability ie had some lesser fielders in some of the more active positions just so I could have my best catchers in key spots. Their combined figures over the three games were: 33-3-119-11, however the best laid plans don't always work out as their 11 wickets broke down as 8 bowled, 3 caught of which 2 were caught and bowled! Was a bit surprised to see no stumpings either but the keeper comes from a different club so didnt really get his timing with the any of the spinners (they are all a bit different) but lots of appeals which probably contributed to batsmen being in two minds - backs up my comment to Macca this time last year, make sure you get a couple of 1-2-1 sessions with the keeper so he is totally happy with facing 'your' leg spin

Next season will be interesting from our clubs point of view. Frank (Leg-spinner) joins the under 13's as one of the new influx of younger lads, there's another kid 'Spike' he's also a good bowler and he decides on the day whether he's going to bowl Leg Breaks or seam up. Frank should do better this year as he'll have 50% of the team being at the upper age limit of the U13's and they should hopefully hold on to some of his catching opportunities. This group did quite a lot of this (catching drills), in the last seasons training, so it should make a big difference to Frank and maybe Spike? The old keeper for the U13's was pretty good, he always stood up to the stumps even to Ben and some of the faster bowlers and in some peoples opinion costing the faster bowlers runs as they only had to get an edge on the ball and he was far too close to take the ball and it would often go for 4's. But with spin he was good. Not sure who the new keeper will be, we'll have to see. But the old keeper didn't have his own front teeth even though he was only 13, lost them this season mucking about at home with a real ball, didn't put him off though!

I haven't really been keeping count bud I'd say I have a ratio like this:

7-caught
4-bowled
1-LBW
1-stumping

Cheers mate, conforms to the general pattern that it's catches that are the way in which most of our wickets are taken. Do you have many put down and could you put a percentage on how many are put down, I'd say with me it's probably nearly 50% that are put down.

Well I actually play junior cricket(I'm 13) and the fielders aren't the best of catchers. I'd say 60% are dropped

That's about the same as the bloke I look after at our club, he's a wrist spinner. Senior district coaches have said to him and me that he shouldn't worry about it because as he gets older, the players will be more enthusiatic in the field and better at catching and therefore he'll start to take more wickets year on year.

It's a funny one.
We quite often bowl in a spin tandem at my club - me the leftie and my mate the leggie at the other end, and I get more wickets bowled and lbw but also get driven quite cleanly down the ground, whereas he seems to have exciting overs full of mishits and the occassional catch, but rarely hits the stumps. Here's my reasoning as to why this happens:

A well leggie's stock ball, when well pitched - dipping and turning away - is one of the hardest balls to strike cleanly, and hence the reason so many catches result. But so many legspinners seem to struggle to get bowled and lbw dismissals. I think this is partly to do with the topspin making the ball bounce over the top, and partly to do with the angle and the lines they bowl - the pads are always getting in the way of the stumps - but there's not really much I can suggest to do about it. By comparison, an offspinner always has plenty of chances at bowled and lbw every time he beats the inside edge.

The left arm finger spinner is an interesting comparison - as they bowl with less topspin (typically) and therefore the ball bounces less, but also angle the ball in from wider on the crease and then straighten it off the pitch, which makes for more chance of an lbw.

Interesting about the topspin. I was playing indoor cricket yesterday. One of my balls was given "no ball" as it had gone to far to the legside, although everyone else(including the opposition) thought it wasn't. The ball turned so much and it was so flat it came in and hit off-stump. Was the fact that it kept low because my bigger legbreak has no over-spin or do the different balls and pitch of indoor cricket come into play?

It's a funny one.
We quite often bowl in a spin tandem at my club - me the leftie and my mate the leggie at the other end, and I get more wickets bowled and lbw but also get driven quite cleanly down the ground, whereas he seems to have exciting overs full of mishits and the occassional catch, but rarely hits the stumps. Here's my reasoning as to why this happens:

A well leggie's stock ball, when well pitched - dipping and turning away - is one of the hardest balls to strike cleanly, and hence the reason so many catches result. But so many legspinners seem to struggle to get bowled and lbw dismissals. I think this is partly to do with the topspin making the ball bounce over the top, and partly to do with the angle and the lines they bowl - the pads are always getting in the way of the stumps - but there's not really much I can suggest to do about it. By comparison, an offspinner always has plenty of chances at bowled and lbw every time he beats the inside edge.

The left arm finger spinner is an interesting comparison - as they bowl with less topspin (typically) and therefore the ball bounces less, but also angle the ball in from wider on the crease and then straighten it off the pitch, which makes for more chance of an lbw.

We play on synthetic wickets here and when I practice I chalk a square on the pitch at a good length and try and land in it. I get a lot of top spin and so when I land it in the box it is easily bouncing over the stumps. The only time my bowling hits the stumps is a bad ball that it overpitched and I doubt batsman are going to miss that. So I guess all my wickets are going to have to come from catches.

We play on synthetic wickets here and when I practice I chalk a square on the pitch at a good length and try and land in it. I get a lot of top spin and so when I land it in the box it is easily bouncing over the stumps. The only time my bowling hits the stumps is a bad ball that it overpitched and I doubt batsman are going to miss that. So I guess all my wickets are going to have to come from catches.

Yeah and a long hop might hit the stumps too. overall it will make you bowl more an off stump line on concrete dont you think?

Yeah and a long hop might hit the stumps too. overall it will make you bowl more an off stump line on concrete dont you think?

I hadn't really thought about bounce affecting the different lines to bowl but yes it makes perfect sense to bowl an off stump line as the bounce takes out lbw and bowled for the stock leg break. I guess then I could dart a fast leg break at leg stump in the hope of an lbw or bowled.
I have noticed though at times in the nets that if I bowl on leg the batsman try and glance me and quite a few times the turn and extra bounce hits them on the gloves.

Back