Your funniest/most interesting cricketing stories

Re: Your funniest/most interesting cricketing stories

Ever had a cracked box before? Not fun!

Fielding at silly point, the batsman charged down the wicket and hit a square drive straight into the important region, absolutely no time to react. Collapsed and immediately pulled out my box, only to find I had only pulled out half of it.

I know have two sides to a box. Keeping it as a momento of the physical endurance I needed on that day. Pain for at least a week.

Boris;392410 said:
Ever had a cracked box before? Not fun!

Yes I have.
It was from a donkey drop in the nets. It would have been about 35km/h and I swung around it 3 times and then wham.
I got my revenge though. I bowled a off spinner that would have been going all of about 25km/h in otherwords superslow and the person in question has backed away to the legside and it's just lobbed up and he missed it. Funniest thing was that he was down for a good 5 minutes due to a perfect/worst possible hit.

brickwaller99;392598 said:
Yes I have.
It was from a donkey drop in the nets. It would have been about 35km/h and I swung around it 3 times and then wham.
I got my revenge though. I bowled a off spinner that would have been going all of about 25km/h in otherwords superslow and the person in question has backed away to the legside and it's just lobbed up and he missed it. Funniest thing was that he was down for a good 5 minutes due to a perfect/worst possible hit.

Was your box actually cracked though?

My other funny cricket story is when a bowler literally bowled a bouncer so short that it hit the end of his toe and rolled towards the batsman.

Hope that isn't me... I don't remember doing that. I only remember bowling the 7 metre high bouncer.

Once I played Backyard cricket, I had bat 3 time and all of them were six and out first ball.

It was the first game of the season and it was a freezing cold day. It had rained heavily the night before and there was a gully just over the boundery before the carpark that was full of water.
One of our fielders went to save a boundry, lost his footing and went in, completely submerged. He had to field the rest of the innings in soaking clothes and must have nearly got hypothermia

Boris;383864 said:
Some truly great stories there.

Here is one of my favourite moments in my cricket.

I'd been playing seniors for 2 and a half years, made it to Reserve (B) Grade and was trying my heart out to get a spot in the A Grade side. I was having a good season, and sure enough I was rewarded with a spot after the A Grade spinner was involved in a car accident and was out for the rest of the season. On the Sunshine Coast where I was playing, getting to A Grade is a big thing, we have the second biggest cricket comp in the state and I was very excited about my chance. I was, and still am, quite young and whenever I'm on the field, you wouldn't imagine the sort of stick I get from the other players. Anyway, that isn't the story.

We were playing a 50 over match, and I had no idea what is happening as we get off the team bus and head to Maroochydore's second field, and put my kit down over the side and just took in the sites of a very proffesional outfit. I was thinking this wasn't normal, and the I heard why. My captain told me that the first time in three years (this being 2006) Ashley Nofke was coming back to this grade after suffering a double blow of injury and came back and ended up playing an A Grade match and then played with the Scorchers Grade side before going back to state duties, as a warm up. I thought this was great, I get to meet and play with one of my heroes of the modern game. That was until I discovered he was on the other team.

Almost everyone else there had against with him before, and they all had their stories about being part of his record breaking summer where he averaged 5.5 wickets per innings, an average of 4.3 from 11 games. We were sitting pretty on the bottom on the table that year, and everyone was a tad nervous about facing a bowler picked to tour with the Australian team for the Ashes. He is also the fastest bowler in the region, known to get the odd one up to 145 km/h.

We batted first, and sure enough Nofke bowled the first over. He looked a little sluggish and we figured it was from his injury, this match being like a therapy treatment. The opener edged the first ball, only for second slip to drop it, a pretty tough chance it was. He then went on to play and miss, block and leave the next five balls to survive the over.

The other opener was relieved to not have to face him, and went on the march. 12 runs later he faced the last ball of the over, which he hit what should have been a single down to fine leg, but called a very, very stern no and sent the other batsman back unwillingly, he already had made it three quarters the way down the pitch with his eyes bolging, trying to get off strike for the next over. Back he went, seeming like he wanted to get run out. All was safe though, and he faced up the next over.

First ball next over went for six. Bouncer, he got a top edge and it flew away. Next ball took out leg stump. He walked off and told the next batsman coming in that if he had any confidence then he was to get rid of it before he faced his first ball so he didn't feel bad about himself. He survived that over, even getting a single (big deal). Looked alright. This is our number three, nicknamed Bill. He now plays for Queensland 2nds and it showed that day why.

Nofke bowled one more over after that, getting the other opener with another bouncer aimed at the throat, he jumped back and managed to edge the ball straight up in the air for the keeper. Then he went off the field limping a little. Our team was literally jumping for joy, thinking we may be able to win now. Things went as the normally would, a pretty average game. Over 25 came up and we had 102 runs with 4 down, Bill on 41. Next over came a spinner, who got two wickets. 6/105. I was batting 10 that day, and was half hoping I wouldn't have to go out there.

One more wicket fell, then came a cheer from the couple of hundred who came down to watch Nofke. He came back onto the field. Next over Bill faced out, getting 2 from it, edging a ball just short of second slip. Over 30 came up. I was shaking in my seat, next in and extremely nervous about facing an Australian bowler. Bill was keeping the strike, and brought up his 50 off a slow (for him) 83 balls.

Nofke didn't bowl the next over, seemed to be testing his leg out in the outfield instead. The spinner came on and got the number 9 caught dead in front.

Out I came, hoping that I could manage to somehow get out of facing Noffers. Had a chat with Bill, had batted with him a lot before, him coming up the ranks as the same age as me. I batted out that over, getting two runs and really running hard, trying to push our score above 200 for the match. Next over came a medium pacer, Bill getting 14 from the over, good over, but left me on strike for the next one.

On came my biggest fear... good old Wombat stretching at the top of his mark. I had never faced above 130, and that was only in the nets. Plus (the were exagerating) apparently it was swinging about 2 metres then seaming in the opposite direction about half the pitch.

First ball came in, good line and length. I was almost behind the stumps as my first movement was well back. I played well inside the line and he beat me, going through to the keeper.

Second ball swung into my pads, just getting the faintest of nicks (I think) as everyone appealed for LBW. Umpire either was good enough or just felt sorry for us and gave me not out.

Third ball I had a brain fade, it was outside off and I swiped at it. Got the edge and went straight to second slip... only for it to pop back out again. Nofke looked a little fired up now. At this point I felt like shaking the guys hand and promptly leaving the ground, the city and maybe even the state.

Fourth ball was full on the stumps. I thought in the split second I had to think, oh full one, drive it for four. I got the bat about half way down from my back lift before the ball flew into it, then straight into the pitch and straight back into the air. Safe.

Fifth ball was good line and length. Play and miss on the back foot, from what should have been a front foot leave. He really looked angry now, I'm a number 10 and I had survived 5 balls against him.

Last ball of the over. I almost ran off the field to empty my pants, but put up with the discomfort. I was determined to show this show off what I was made of. I'd survived this long, I was the best batsman in the world. Hell, I'd hit him for six.

I was expecting full on the stumps again, since it almost worked last time. In his delivery stride and took a step forward ready to hit it straight back at him. Too busy premeditating I was to even notice where the ball had pitched. I caught site of it when it was about two metres in front of me. And by in front of me I meant in front of my face. The ball crashed straight into my helmet and I went down, hitting the ground before the ball did. I looked up to see Nofke knealing beside me, taking my helmet off. When I looked like I could talk he was apologising profusely, saying he didn't notice I was as young as I was. I was carried off on a stretcher, with Nofke taking one of the sides. When I was off, I was checked over by our first aid officer and coach, and said I should go down to the hospital for a look, but I felt alright. Nofke was still apologising.

It was then that started a good friendship between Wombat and I. We exchange emails every few months if he's not busy, and he's been helping me with my cricket. He's one very nice guy, and to this day I have that helmet hanging on my wall, with big dent just above the attachment for the face guard on the left side.

Others have faced the same quality bowling at the same level before, but nothing was like that day. The Sunshine Coast has produced state cricketers before, but never has another player had such an affect on the region. He has single handedly worked to put 2 million dollars into the cricketing economy here, and everyone that meets him is star shocked, and at the same time scared that they will have to face him. He is a brilliant bowler to come from such a good area, and to face him and survive will leave me with memories forever.

That is my favourite memory in cricket.

Take a photo of the helmet and post it here to verify the story.

Back