Zimbabwe

pal

Zimbabwe

Zimbabwe's government has taken control of the cricket board, prompting fears the country will lose Test status.

Under the shake-up, controversial chairman Peter Chingoka and his remains in charge of an interim board, which is understood to be without white or Asian directors.

Chingoka and ZC managing director Osias Bvute - who also retains a position - were last year questioned by the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe amid allegations of financial misconduct.

Chingoka's continued presence is the biggest deterrent to the players returning for duty because one of their demands was that he should leave.

Field said: "It is a concern to me that Chingoka continues.

"It seems bizarre that although he was head of an administration that they see fit to remove, they now make him the head of a new one."

One of the players currently on strike said: "We're dismayed, the future is bleak, we're not at all happy that Chingoka has been retained.
[/quote:33nteav7]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket ... 586716.stm

Just a few years back, Zimbabwe had a bright future with Heath Streak, Andy Flower, Grant Flower, Blignaut, Friend, and Taibu. Most of them have retired from international cricket now. I realize the ICC doesn't have control over political matters, but at this stage, they can't stall any longer. Even if they don't want to enter into a political conflict, such a weak Zimbabwe is going to bring the standard of play down in international cricket.

Zimbabwe

They have ended the strike!

They have ended the strike!

Zimbabwe players end strike

Cricinfo staff

January 7, 2006

Zimbabwe's players have decided to end their indefinite strike, less than 24 hours after the government appointed an interim board to run the game.

Clive Field, the players' representative, said that they had made the move in the hope that outstanding contractual and financial issues would be addressed by the new board. "The players have committed themselves to continuing until at least the end of the month in the light of what was made clear at the meeting yesterday that they should expect their contracts to be resolved by then. The guys don't feel for a second that it will be, but the feeling is that this is better way of keeping the pressure on than by just walking away.

"They've put their pockets in front of their principles in the hope that they can persevere and preserve their income."

Field also said that they were deeply disturbed by the comments made by the government's representative, Brigadier General Gibson Mashingaidze, that they would not mourn the loss of Zimbabwe's Test status were that to happen.

"We did not want to be drawn into his comments, but they are extremely disturbed that people could be willing to sacrifice the fabric of Zimbabwe cricket. The issue of Test status is a paramount one. They are keen to make it known that we have to preserve that status.

"The players are now waiting to see if they can salvage something from this new board," Field added. "We no longer have issues of government interference, because it's now the case that the government is in charge."

More to follow.

? Cricinfo[/quote:302pslwn]

Andrew Nixon feels it was a stupid mave, and I agree. Now we just have to wait and see if they do get paid after all. I wonder though what they would do if they aren't paid?

Zimbabwe

[quote="Cricketman ":reutgi1r]
Maybe this is a good thing. They can give more deserving teams like kenya, canada ect. the test status.
[/quote:reutgi1r]
Kenya cricket is in tatters. Canada's team is made up of mainly expatriates. The reason why Zimbabwe and Bangladesh were awarded test status, to begin with, were because they contained many 'home-grown' players. The ICC hasn't exactly proven themselves to be the best at encouraging development in cricket.

Personally, I believe that the ICC should have a tier system which allows them to require the minnows to play the longer version of the game. For example, there should be two classes of tests status: A and B. Nations in each bracket play against each other. Currently, Class A would contain all the test-playing nations except for Zim and Ban. And those two and preferably 6 others would form Class B. That way, no stronger nation would have to worry about playing incompatible opposition, and the minnow nations will be able to develop.

Zimbabwe

[/quote:1ay4qlz0]
Kenya cricket is in tatters. Canada's team is made up of mainly expatriates. The reason why Zimbabwe and Bangladesh were awarded test status, to begin with, were because they contained many 'home-grown' players. The ICC hasn't exactly proven themselves to be the best at encouraging development in cricket.

Personally, I believe that the ICC should have a tier system which allows them to require the minnows to play the longer version of the game. For example, there should be two classes of tests status: A and B. Nations in each bracket play against each other. Currently, Class A would contain all the test-playing nations except for Zim and Ban. And those two and preferably 6 others would form Class B. That way, no stronger nation would have to worry about playing incompatible opposition, and the minnow nations will be able to develop.
[/quote:1ay4qlz0]
I totally agree with you. Its the best thing to be done. Although some may argue that Bangladesh is no longer a minnow...lol.

Zimbabwe

[quote="sohum ":2c52oq5y]

[/quote:2c52oq5y]

I agree with u too Sohum on the Tier system....but since i live in canada i think it would be good if canada was given test status.....it would be so great.....there are so many teams here n there are lots of people who are interested and would like to learn cricket

Zimbabwe

Canada getting full-fledged status would just be a farcical move. Sure, they can become cricket champions in the future, but think about the initial nuisance it will cause stronger teams. Setting up a tour is not easy business--and it is an expensive one too. I'm sure the stronger nations like India, Pakistan, Australia and England would not be happy to tour Canada when they could be playing within themselves and making their fans happier. But cricket needs to develop there, so they will need to play test cricket--but against teams more on their level.

Back