Subbies Thread

Always bemused by this type of commentary. Sometimes guys just want to play at big, successful well ran clubs and compete for premierships. These type of forums always over estimate who's being paid.
As someone who plays at a less successful club it is always a massive lure to play for a big club with a lot of history and success. Regardless of money.

As someone who plays at a less successful club it is always a massive lure to play for a big club with a lot of history and success. Regardless of money.
I respect and can admire the successful clubs. There are good people at all the clubs and off the ground they can be great to deal with. But I reckon I would have a hard time playing for any club that come 1 o'clock on a Saturday I loathe and detest. Frankly the opportunity for success elsewhere would have a pretty hollow feel to it, so no lure at all in my case.

The number of players moving club to club in Subbies would be pretty small anyway. Travel circumstances or a bust-up at your current club seem to be more the theme on those occasions more than money. Not to say everyone doesn't have a price.

It's easy to judge someone on the cricket field by their actions but if they're the kind of people who have a beer in the rooms after a game then I believe they are genuinely good people.

To label some clubs (ie. Melton, caulfield etc) as banks basically is absurd. The money at most clubs wouldn't differ a hell of a lot and it most cases the guys you think that are on money actually aren't. They've generally been able to get to that club on the proviso of the Success and atmosphere at the club.

It's easy to judge someone on the cricket field by their actions but if they're the kind of people who have a beer in the rooms after a game then I believe they are genuinely good people.

To label some clubs (ie. Melton, caulfield etc) as banks basically is absurd. The money at most clubs wouldn't differ a hell of a lot and it most cases the guys you think that are on money actually aren't. They've generally been able to get to that club on the proviso of the Success and atmosphere at the club.

So Candyman, is it melton or Caulfield you play for? How would you know the financial position of any club other than your own? Where there's smoke there's fire.

So Candyman, is it melton or Caulfield you play for? How would you know the financial position of any club other than your own? Where there's smoke there's fire.
I think the point is, Money is the default reason people assume these players go to play at big successful clubs like Caulfield, when the real allure is success. I don't believe these clubs go around throwing out money to players hand over fist. Yeah they can better compete for a big name player but reading this you'd think caulfield's whole side is on the take...

Always bemused by this type of commentary. Sometimes guys just want to play at big, successful well ran clubs and compete for premierships. These type of forums always over estimate who's being paid.
I don't have an issue with this an agree, money is probably overestimated. However, there was a comment made some time ago on this, or the previous forum, that they want to just play with their mates. The sooner the points system comes in , the sooner this conversation won't matter.
FYI, Guthrie is at Beauy, that's the only one I've heard has gone.

I don't have an issue with this an agree, money is probably overestimated. However, there was a comment made some time ago on this, or the previous forum, that they want to just play with their mates. The sooner the points system comes in , the sooner this conversation won't matter.
FYI, Guthrie is at Beauy, that's the only one I've heard has gone.

Yeah but who knows who's making those comments, could be someone with no real links to the club. Caulfield seem to line up with St Kilda, seems to be a strong link there and crickets migrate back from district.

Like Prahran and Malvern a little bit. Always in subbie clubs' best interests to try to cultivate those relationships.

Yeah but who knows who's making those comments, could be someone with no real links to the club. Caulfield seem to line up with St Kilda, seems to be a strong link there and crickets migrate back from district.

Like Prahran and Malvern a little bit. Always in subbie clubs' best interests to try to cultivate those relationships.
VTCA clearance register (before it went down) showed Guthrie at Beauy. You are right, until you see them in a shirt, no confirmation.

VTCA clearance register (before it went down) showed Guthrie at Beauy. You are right, until you see them in a shirt, no confirmation.
I meant more with respect to "they want to play with mates" type comments. Guthrie had a good grandfinal. Adds a bit of variation to any bowling line up.

Back