Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Very similar scenario for me (bizarrely so in some instances). We played one game of cricket in my school and it was on concrete and without any teaching at all. I remember taking a one-handed left-hand catch way above my head, which I managed to replicate in my last game of the season a week ago! I didn't bat or bowl and we only played for about 40mins and never played again. Not long after I left, the school installed an all-weather pitch and started playing. I remember there were nets in the gym and cricket gear from, it seemed and was most probably the case, the 1950's.

I didn't know anyone who watched cricket nevermind played it. Funnily enough, I only really started to watch when England went to the West Indies and it was on Sky TV. Not sure why but I started to watch it and enjoy it. I remember looking at all the numbers and stats and not having a clue what was going on. I just figured it out and once I did it was more interesting. Of course, the story of legspin is the same for me as many others and was all about Warne. How could you not love watching this bloke completely confuse batter after batter and strike fear into many of them?
Mate - are you older than me?!!!!!

I've started playing rep cricket this year. I bowl my leggies and I feel that I am bowling really well. In the first game I picked up a few wickets and had a good economy rate. The problem is that there are a few other spinners in the team who have been playing in the team a lot longer than I have and the captain knows them better than he knows me, and so they are getting a lot more of a bowl than I am. I don't want to sound cocky but I feel that I am a better bowler than the other spinners, but I don't get the chance to show how well I bowl. Has anyone been in this situation before and what do you suggest I do?

I've started playing rep cricket this year. I bowl my leggies and I feel that I am bowling really well. In the first game I picked up a few wickets and had a good economy rate. The problem is that there are a few other spinners in the team who have been playing in the team a lot longer than I have and the captain knows them better than he knows me, and so they are getting a lot more of a bowl than I am. I don't want to sound cocky but I feel that I am a better bowler than the other spinners, but I don't get the chance to show how well I bowl. Has anyone been in this situation before and what do you suggest I do?
Sometimes captains dont know where to place you as a leg spinner thats the problème for me

I've had this discussion on here before coming from the same point of view as you, but the counter argument was one based around the fact that if it wasn't for SKY and all the money they plough back into the game, English cricket would already be dead and buried especially at county level?

I don't think that is true at all. England cricket was in an incredibly healthy state in 2005; we had one of the strongest international teams we had ever had, cricket was extremely high profile national summer sport, test series were selling out across the board, and the introduction of the T20 cup two years earlier had revived the counties' abilities to attract crowds and stand on their own feet financially. More people played recreational cricket than at any point in the past 20 years. I know at university we had to expand from 3 teams to 5 teams because of the increase in interest.

I run a junior team and I haven't seen a single penny of sky money. Have you? The only thing we have ever received is from the Lords Taverners, and independent charity. Sky money has mainly gone to the international programme, which has hardly been a roaring success, or stupid gimmicks that have actively damaged cricket.

What is undeniable is that the number of people playing cricket has decreased steadly since the sport was removed from the public consciousness, is now seriously struggling to attract and retain young players, and will continue to do so until it is a niche market minority sport with a following more akin to croquet.

I don't think that is true at all. England cricket was in an incredibly healthy state in 2005; we had one of the strongest international teams we had ever had, cricket was extremely high profile national summer sport, test series were selling out across the board, and the introduction of the T20 cup two years earlier had revived the counties' abilities to attract crowds and stand on their own feet financially. More people played recreational cricket than at any point in the past 20 years. I know at university we had to expand from 3 teams to 5 teams because of the increase in interest.

I run a junior team and I haven't seen a single penny of sky money. Have you? The only thing we have ever received is from the Lords Taverners, and independent charity. Sky money has mainly gone to the international programme, which has hardly been a roaring success, or stupid gimmicks that have actively damaged cricket.

What is undeniable is that the number of people playing cricket has decreased steadly since the sport was removed from the public consciousness, is now seriously struggling to attract and retain young players, and will continue to do so until it is a niche market minority sport with a following more akin to croquet.

Do you reckon that if test cricket was back on terrestrial television at the right time, when England were on a run of wins that would convert into more people participating?

Do you reckon that if test cricket was back on terrestrial television at the right time, when England were on a run of wins that would convert into more people participating?

oh 100 times yes. It would give it both an immediate boost (like people all go and play tennis after wimbledon) and it would stem the rather worrying decline of the sport as young people would start being exposed to it again.

Well I had to go to NZ's Hawkes Bay for a T20 competition, more to observe as our pro/coach had yet to arrive due to visa issues.

Played on the Friday but didn't have to do much as we smashed the opposition, quite happy with my one hand catch to get Doug Bracewell out though :) Had one over at the end of their innings and managed to make a lower order batsman trip and fall on his face for a stumping...and then got smashed for a colossal six by one of the many FC players in their side.

Spent Saturday on the sidelines watching the side lose their 2 games. Plenty of things that could be done better but as Wellington's season is the latest to start in the country we were happy just to be playing outside on grass wickets (we'll have to wait till late November or early December for that).

Protege now firmly entrenched in the first side was easily our best player. Used a combination of top spinners and sliders to keep the batsmen guessing. The view from the side with the varying flight was impressive, his topspinner was dropping like a stone. 7 wickets across the 3 T20 games at an RPO of 6 was impressive in a side where the bowling generally got smashed.

The squad really needs the some kind of decent weather so we can have some proper outside practices. Only being able to do indoor stuff is really holding us back especially with the exodus of experience from last season.

That's a huge generalization. With finger spin accuracy is easier, but the variations are harder. It is more difficult to attain over spin and bowl it consistently with as much revs as a wrist spinner. Flight isn't as easy to get and the only easy but effective variation is the variation that you have in pace as a finger spinner. So certain aspects of it are easier and others not. You can't just say it's easier.
I guess it depends on people i can bowl the off spin top spinner suite easily with flight and revs and i feel its easier to bowl with back spin when bowling off spin.

Protege now firmly entrenched in the first side was easily our best player. Used a combination of top spinners and sliders to keep the batsmen guessing. The view from the side with the varying flight was impressive, his topspinner was dropping like a stone. 7 wickets across the 3 T20 games at an RPO of 6 was impressive in a side where the bowling generally got smashed.

He sounds really impressive. Do you think this lad has a good chance of making it to FC cricket? It seems like he has all the skills to make it.

There's one or two players from New Zealand who play in our club's league. Aaron Redmond just finished another solid season and our club used to have Andrew Ellis playing for them (that was before I joined the club - by all accounts, he wasn't keen to bowl at all but he batted very well).

Okay so ive been playing around with the leg spin flying saucer so il list good things about it and bas things about it:

+ Surprise delivery
+ It drifts earlier than the leg break
+ It drifts a lot more than the leg break with the same amount of spin ( its kind of like a slow bowlers inswinger) it goes straight on after pitching

-Its very hard to bowl it with a perfectly horizontal Seam
-the consequence of this is it can spin sometimes especially on turning wickets which van be annoying
- When you bowl it the first times its very hard to get any spin even tho if you practice you can get a lot of spin on it

Has anyone else experimented on it?

He sounds really impressive. Do you think this lad has a good chance of making it to FC cricket? It seems like he has all the skills to make it.

There's one or two players from New Zealand who play in our club's league. Aaron Redmond just finished another solid season and our club used to have Andrew Ellis playing for them (that was before I joined the club - by all accounts, he wasn't keen to bowl at all but he batted very well).
He just needs to get his leg break ripping again. There's great variations in speed, drift and dip but at the end of the day he needs to start beating the bat of good players consistently. If he can do that I'm picking him to make FC but otherwise he may be worth a shot in List A T20 and 50 over games.

Andrew Ellis probably didn't want to bowl as he's a chucker pure and simple, first time I played against him the guy ahead of me was bowled by him and came walking back saying "Was I bowled or run out?". It is an embarrassment he managed to make it through the system and play for NZ.

Aaron Redmond I've got more time for, good bat, useful legspinner and a good guy as well. Unlucky to not be given more chances for NZ.

Okay so ive been playing around with the leg spin flying saucer so il list good things about it and bas things about it:

+ Surprise delivery
+ It drifts earlier than the leg break
+ It drifts a lot more than the leg break with the same amount of spin ( its kind of like a slow bowlers inswinger) it goes straight on after pitching

-Its very hard to bowl it with a perfectly horizontal Seam
-the consequence of this is it can spin sometimes especially on turning wickets which van be annoying
- When you bowl it the first times its very hard to get any spin even tho if you practice you can get a lot of spin on it

Has anyone else experimented on it?
Yep, the problems I had with it were:

• It is very obvious to most batsmen
  • The very early drift is no good unless you are bowling at a decent pace
I found it better to bowl an OBS with which I can vary the swing/drift and spin.

He just needs to get his leg break ripping again. There's great variations in speed, drift and dip but at the end of the day he needs to start beating the bat of good players consistently. If he can do that I'm picking him to make FC but otherwise he may be worth a shot in List A T20 and 50 over games.

Andrew Ellis probably didn't want to bowl as he's a chucker pure and simple, first time I played against him the guy ahead of me was bowled by him and came walking back saying "Was I bowled or run out?". It is an embarrassment he managed to make it through the system and play for NZ.

Aaron Redmond I've got more time for, good bat, useful legspinner and a good guy as well. Unlucky to not be given more chances for NZ.

The psychology of bowling spin is something a lot of young players take time to develop. I remember when I started bowling legspin and I wanted to bowl a wicket taking delivery every ball. You don't think about putting a series of balls together, putting pressure on the batter and beating the bat plenty. The reality is, against good batters you simply won't dominate them from the off and, as you say, aiming to beat the bat is what you have to do.

The story with Andrew Ellis was that he was bowling back of a length and refused to bowl a fuller length because he complained it would cause problems for him when he returned to New Zealand. I'm sure I watched him play against England in a T20 game last year but I don't remember his action.

There is plenty of people around our league who have only good things to say about Aaron Redmond.

The psychology of bowling spin is something a lot of young players take time to develop. I remember when I started bowling legspin and I wanted to bowl a wicket taking delivery every ball. You don't think about putting a series of balls together, putting pressure on the batter and beating the bat plenty. The reality is, against good batters you simply won't dominate them from the off and, as you say, aiming to beat the bat is what you have to do.
Completely agree.

Regarding the guy at our club and thinking about his bowling plans he's all over it. He's not the brightest guy in the world as he had to drop out of school and work due to being a Dad earlier than he should have. At the end of the day though he's fantastic when developing and executing bowling plans. Bowling last night at practice he was all over the batsman again, including the better ones.

The technical issue he has is a very bent front leg, this means that he goes up and over the hip well after release. Most of the work this season will be to incrementally improve this as I do not want him to rebuild his action from scratch during a season that will be very important if he wants Wellington cricket to take notice.

Back