Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Drifts far to early, seam is in a position that observant batsman see early, generally involves an unusual release that is also seen early.

As ever though, nothing wrong with any variation if you can execute it consistently.
If you bowl it with good pace it sont drift tooo early ( i bowl very slow thats why) who said you had to bowl it with a horizontal seam you van bowl it with a vertical seamm and imparti horizontal seam

If you bowl it with good pace it sont drift tooo early ( i bowl very slow thats why) who said you had to bowl it with a horizontal seam you van bowl it with a vertical seamm and imparti horizontal seam
By a flying saucer you are referring to a horizontal seam.

Anyway, I am not against any variation it just doesn't work for me in the competitions I play.

Good luck with your last game.

Macca - you still out there, keeping an eye on proceedings here? You must be starting your season soon or possibly started? What's the situation with Jimmy this year, is he still up for it? I've managed to keep both mine on board this year, the older one is just sixteen a few days ago and he's had a very good season, he's played adult cricket in our 4th XI which I've captained. He's had his first fiver fer in the 2nd from last game and he's won the U15's bowler of the year. He's also turned out to be the 4th best bowler in the whole of the club based on how many wickets he's taken. We're off to an adults award event tonight and I've been told to take him along so I'm guessing he'll be awarded with his five-fer ball at least, but may be in line for best player of the 4ths or something. Let us know how Jimmy goes this season.

Dave

Tough last match !
We batted first in a 30 over match i didnt get to bowl i was anhry about that. We bowled fine but in the last 5 overs they got 70- odd runs and posted a total of 207....

When we started to bat, the openers both got out for a duck and 3 getting out cheaply too then came our star batsman was kindof supported by other batsmen then when i sent in at number nine i started blocking a bit and trying to rotate the strike.-our runs rate was very good but too many wickets fell down- so now the worst thing hapenned...

I was at the non strikers end a médium pacer was bowling and our star batsman batting.. The bowled bowled and the batter hit the full ball straight towards me i couldnt get out of the way i rotated my knee and the ball hit the side of my knee maybe it hit a bit of the pad too. I instantly fell down swearing... Everybody came worried i was very hurt but it was OK quickly so i said " its OK i think it hit a bit of my pad " then every body went like " OK Oscar of the year... What an actor" but i really got hurt...... Then i couldnt really run well but i managed... Out star batsmen got out edged and the Keeper shouted "******** off" then i said "very good your impolite" then he Said " ******** his sister ******** off he was run out previously but the umpire didnt give it out" at the end we lost i scored my best 11 and we lost by about 20 runs. Coming back home my knee was very hurting i dont think anything is broken but i could barely walk yeah thats it and the fielders kept talking/sledging me " come on Shahid youre name is Shahid you have the afridi power hit him out of the ground " and etc but im sad i got hurt and didnt bowl batting wise its OK i guess

Tough last match !
We batted first in a 30 over match i didnt get to bowl i was anhry about that. We bowled fine but in the last 5 overs they got 70- odd runs and posted a total of 207....

When we started to bat, the openers both got out for a duck and 3 getting out cheaply too then came our star batsman was kindof supported by other batsmen then when i sent in at number nine i started blocking a bit and trying to rotate the strike.-our runs rate was very good but too many wickets fell down- so now the worst thing hapenned...

I was at the non strikers end a médium pacer was bowling and our star batsman batting.. The bowled bowled and the batter hit the full ball straight towards me i couldnt get out of the way i rotated my knee and the ball hit the side of my knee maybe it hit a bit of the pad too. I instantly fell down swearing... Everybody came worried i was very hurt but it was OK quickly so i said " its OK i think it hit a bit of my pad " then every body went like " OK Oscar of the year... What an actor" but i really got hurt...... Then i couldnt really run well but i managed... Out star batsmen got out edged and the Keeper shouted "******** off" then i said "very good your impolite" then he Said " ******** his sister ******** off he was run out previously but the umpire didnt give it out" at the end we lost i scored my best 11 and we lost by about 20 runs. Coming back home my knee was very hurting i dont think anything is broken but i could barely walk yeah thats it and the fielders kept talking/sledging me " come on Shahid youre name is Shahid you have the afridi power hit him out of the ground " and etc but im sad i got hurt and didnt bowl batting wise its OK i guess
Sounds like a tough game - get your knee in ice as soon as you can, it makes a lot of difference and it'll get better so much faster!

Completely agree.

Regarding the guy at our club and thinking about his bowling plans he's all over it. He's not the brightest guy in the world as he had to drop out of school and work due to being a Dad earlier than he should have. At the end of the day though he's fantastic when developing and executing bowling plans. Bowling last night at practice he was all over the batsman again, including the better ones.

The technical issue he has is a very bent front leg, this means that he goes up and over the hip well after release. Most of the work this season will be to incrementally improve this as I do not want him to rebuild his action from scratch during a season that will be very important if he wants Wellington cricket to take notice.

For me, the most entertaining part of bowling spin is reading the batter and trying to stay one step ahead. It did used to be simply about trying to rip a big turning delivery. That battle between bat and ball is what you really start to enjoy once you have been bowling spin for a few years. I've been in the nets with young lads and they bowl 2 or 3 balls in a row that are a really nice line and length and have the batter playing and missing. I get more excited than they do! They don't seem to realise how good and solid that sort of bowling is. There's no wicket, so they're not really interested. You try to impress upon them that that sort of bowling is what good spin bowling is all about and if you keep on bowling like that the wickets will take care of themselves. But they don't really understand or take it on board. Maybe they just have to bowl plenty and learn it for themselves.

I've got a very slight bend of the front leg and that can cause some slight problems, but nothing I need to worry about. I've not really seen a bowler with a very bent front leg. I can imagine it would cause a few problems with consistency. Incremental change is definitely the way to go. I've had some issues with my action in the last couple of years and I found incremental change very effective. Really, I don't think I could have done it any other way because of how ingrained my action had become.

Btw how manu match fées/teas do you pays and when you go somewhere by car do you pay gas?
Is this a question for everyone? If so...

Annual club fees for me is a family version and it's £70.00 for me and 2 sons both U18. Then we pay match fees £12.00 for me £6.00 each for the boys and quite often we'll all be playing! That's the same for home and away games. If you drive there seems to be an expectancy that you as the driver pay for it, no-one ever offers. I always drive and usually take at least one other player. The one that P*** me off are those that do drive, that drive to the clubhouse, get out of their own car and then get in my car! Other costs - winter nets usually about £20 for the winter - same price for the kids.

What do you mean winter nets 20 pounds do you pay to play in your club nets? Otherwise 70 pounds for you and 2 u18 is a good price but 12 pounds for match fees is a lot i pay 5 but for adults its 10 (euros about 9 pounds) maybe theres the cost of pitch maintenance in that, we dont have pitches or if your lucky you have a mat. Why dont footballers pay match fees in their clubs?

These days few spinners have that mentality and they're basically just slow fast bowlers. I've told my team members many times that it doesn't matter if there wasn't an edge or the ball hits the batsman on the head, you still have to appeal like mad. It makes him wonder if he really knows what he's doing.

Yeah, slow fast bowlers or fast slow bowlers, but it's all the same thing. I bowl plenty in the nets and you discover quite quickly that the quicker balls are easier to score off if you don't put them on the stumps and if you don't vary it. Those quicker spinners bowl most balls up in the 55mph-60mph and do so at the expense of flight and spin. There's no variation at all. Against ordinary batters, it is very effective. As soon as they come up against good batters, they really struggle. As a spinner in club cricket, you have to be your own psychologist to help keep things in perspective. Otherwise, it is easy to get down when you bowl a good ball and some slogger hacks it to the boundary.

The loud appeals and general chatter is an important aspect of spin bowling. It all helps put pressure on the batter. He usually won't know how you bowl or what you can bowl. You want your keeper to be talking away and shouting things like "bowl the quicker one.... bowl the googly....he's on the backfoot all the time, pitch it up" etc etc.

Annual club fees for me is a family version and it's £70.00 for me and 2 sons both U18. Then we pay match fees £12.00 for me £6.00 each for the boys and quite often we'll all be playing! That's the same for home and away games. If you drive there seems to be an expectancy that you as the driver pay for it, no-one ever offers. I always drive and usually take at least one other player. The one that P*** me off are those that do drive, that drive to the clubhouse, get out of their own car and then get in my car! Other costs - winter nets usually about £20 for the winter - same price for the kids.

That's quite pricey. Our fees are just as bad. No annual fees, but we pay £15 per game.

In the past, you could drive 30 miles for a game and pay £15 on top of that. This last season saw changes to that with drivers getting discount for matche fees and rightly so. If it was a reasonable distance away and you have given lifts to people, you would only pay £5 match fee.

That's quite pricey. Our fees are just as bad. No annual fees, but we pay £15 per game.

In the past, you could drive 30 miles for a game and pay £15 on top of that. This last season saw changes to that with drivers getting discount for matche fees and rightly so. If it was a reasonable distance away and you have given lifts to people, you would only pay £5 match fee.
What i think Dave means by annual fees is your club cricket membership ?

What i think Dave means by annual fees is your club cricket membership ?
Yep, that's what I meant, I'm not sure how much they are for individuals. I think it may be £55?

That's a good idea, furthest we travel is 26 miles (The Aussies will be laughing their heads off at us moaning about these distances) but yeah reducing the fee for the driver is a good idea. I think our club is toying with the idea of increasing the match fees and doing away with the annual/membership fee. I think that would hit me hard especially if I'm the captain again and each week I have to have both my lads playing in the team.

So many people pay a ridiculous amount of fees.

Ours are:

yearly subs: adults £20, kids £5
match fees: adults £5, kids free
all nets free

Yep, that's what I meant, I'm not sure how much they are for individuals. I think it may be £55?

That's a good idea, furthest we travel is 26 miles (The Aussies will be laughing their heads off at us moaning about these distances) but yeah reducing the fee for the driver is a good idea. I think our club is toying with the idea of increasing the match fees and doing away with the annual/membership fee. I think that would hit me hard especially if I'm the captain again and each week I have to have both my lads playing in the team.

Most of us vaguely take it in turns to drive, so petrol evens out, although often the driver gets his first pint bought for him. Its generally short distances anyway.

This year we have had a few longer trips, and the match fees were waived for anyone giving lifts. One particularly long trip, people were told simply to give their match fees to the driver as petrol money and the club didn't collect anything that week.

Back