Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Mainly fundraising. We don't need much money, turnover is £3k

Where you live has massive bearing on what you pay. We're in the centre of a New Town surrounded by Green Belt farmland and areas that are meant to be saved from development. So I would imagine the ground rent for our pitches runs into thousands of pounds? Whereas little clubs out in the sticks where land is a plenty and the local culture is one of cricket, I'm sure they benefit from kindly benefactors who let them use the ground for next to nothing. I've said before my in-laws live in Derbyshire in a village with a population of 1500 and they've got 2 clubs with far better facilities than my club and we're in a town with a population of several 10's of thousands.

Where you live has massive bearing on what you pay. We're in the centre of a New Town surrounded by Green Belt farmland and areas that are meant to be saved from development. So I would imagine the ground rent for our pitches runs into thousands of pounds? Whereas little clubs out in the sticks where land is a plenty and the local culture is one of cricket, I'm sure they benefit from kindly benefactors who let them use the ground for next to nothing. I've said before my in-laws live in Derbyshire in a village with a population of 1500 and they've got 2 clubs with far better facilities than my club and we're in a town with a population of several 10's of thousands.

Its absolutely shameful that a council would make a community activity like a cricket club pay serious rent for its ground. I have never honestly heard of that happening before. Normally its either free, but you look after it yourself, or its ~£30 per game and they cut the grass for you.

Have you spoken to the council about it?

Next year is going to be a great year for our french cricket club.... We are going to get a match ground in Liettres, the real home of cricket :p and we will get indoor facilities with nets... where we will also have gyms,fitness stuff and other sports to stay fit. But it wont be only for US. IDK know how our president and the comitee did this but our president is a great one.since he was elected great things are hapenning for out club....

Its absolutely shameful that a council would make a community activity like a cricket club pay serious rent for its ground. I have never honestly heard of that happening before. Normally its either free, but you look after it yourself, or its ~£30 per game and they cut the grass for you.

Have you spoken to the council about it?

Yeah, all the councils in our area do the same thing. I played at another club before this one in a different area controlled by another council and their biggest expenditure was the rent of the pitches, it constitutes an enormous percentage of the clubs annual out-goings. It includes the up-keep of the pitches though and the use of the clubhouse at the pitch, so I don't know whether that makes the whole things slightly more acceptable in your view? I'll have to have a look at the accounts of the club next time they're issued and I'll be more specific with the amount.

Going back to the previous club, I know that in one of the years that I was there, they ran at a loss one year and this is with collecting all the monies in and making money with a bar. I know that people not paying their match fees at local clubs is a massive issue, because the books are so closely balanced relying on that factor. Every year there's a balance to be struck between trying to force the membership fee down to encourage more people to join and play, whilst still ensuring that the costs are all met.

Yeah, all the councils in our area do the same thing. I played at another club before this one in a different area controlled by another council and their biggest expenditure was the rent of the pitches, it constitutes an enormous percentage of the clubs annual out-goings. It includes the up-keep of the pitches though and the use of the clubhouse at the pitch, so I don't know whether that makes the whole things slightly more acceptable in your view? I'll have to have a look at the accounts of the club next time they're issued and I'll be more specific with the amount.

Going back to the previous club, I know that in one of the years that I was there, they ran at a loss one year and this is with collecting all the monies in and making money with a bar. I know that people not paying their match fees at local clubs is a massive issue, because the books are so closely balanced relying on that factor. Every year there's a balance to be struck between trying to force the membership fee down to encourage more people to join and play, whilst still ensuring that the costs are all met.

We use a village rec, which is free, but we employ our own groundsman.

All in all our pitch costs just under £2k a year to maintain, which we cover partly through fees but mainly through fundraising. We also hire it out occasionally and make a few hundred quid from that.

Most years we try to break even. We're not here to make money. We would rather keep fees low but encourage people to come and help out at fundraising events instead.

Probably 60% of our annual income is from fundraising and 40% from fees etc.

We use a village rec, which is free, but we employ our own groundsman.

All in all our pitch costs just under £2k a year to maintain, which we cover partly through fees but mainly through fundraising. We also hire it out occasionally and make a few hundred quid from that.

Most years we try to break even. We're not here to make money. We would rather keep fees low but encourage people to come and help out at fundraising events instead.

Probably 60% of our annual income is from fundraising and 40% from fees etc.
Why would people give money to a cricket club? Do you organise activities or something?

Yes, we do fundraising activities like race nights, 6 aside tournaments, quizzes, etc.

That's where the difference is. Our club do very little fundraising. They do some annoying bag pack thing at the local supermarket which sees players pretty much just packing shopper's bags for them and hoping for a donation to the club. It usually raises about £600-£700, but it's all a bit too much like begging to me. Very few players volunteer to do it as well. Other than that, there's nothing like a race night or a quiz or actual matches (although, someone did try to organise a weekend of matches with players getting sponsorship for runs scored/wickets taken - but again, I'd feel embarrassed asking people to sponsor me for the local cricket club and not a genuinely worthwhile cause like Marie Curie, the NSPCC et al).

I reckon our club could easily raise £2k with things like race nights, raffles and other such things. That would enable to club to reduce match fees a fair bit. There's no doubt at all that £15 match fees puts a lot of people off.

That's where the difference is. Our club do very little fundraising. They do some annoying bag pack thing at the local supermarket which sees players pretty much just packing shopper's bags for them and hoping for a donation to the club. It usually raises about £600-£700, but it's all a bit too much like begging to me. Very few players volunteer to do it as well. Other than that, there's nothing like a race night or a quiz or actual matches (although, someone did try to organise a weekend of matches with players getting sponsorship for runs scored/wickets taken - but again, I'd feel embarrassed asking people to sponsor me for the local cricket club and not a genuinely worthwhile cause like Marie Curie, the NSPCC et al).

I reckon our club could easily raise £2k with things like race nights, raffles and other such things. That would enable to club to reduce match fees a fair bit. There's no doubt at all that £15 match fees puts a lot of people off.

Racenight is normally our big winner, we do it every April before the start of the season and make £800-900 most years.
The Quiz is specifically fundraising to buy equipment for the Junior section, we do this in early December, that makes £150-200
6 aside tournament makes about £500, mostly through selling beers and burgers to the participants and spectators
We also make a few hundred £ from selling beers and burgers at a couple of our friendly games

Lol that is begging how could someone even think if that hahahahaha

I
Of all the clubs mentioned here mine is probably the cheapest! Not sure about your currencies but here the annual membership fees are R30 for school kids and R50 for adults. No match fees, no nets fees, just that one payment per year and we get along fine! I don't even know of any club in our district that has to pay match fees and we play some good cricket. The umpires are generally volunteers so they don't cost anything, other than that every club has its own set of stumps, the pitch is usually taken care of by the municipality or members of the club and the only thing that you have to buy for the game is the match balls. If you want a cricket shirt with the club's emblem on it you have to pay for it but that's optional. Remind me to save some money if I ever want to play cricket in England!
I always wonder why we as cricket players pays match fees and footballers who play in a local club dont?

And Jacques do you pay the car driver if you have to go to play some where else ?

Of all the clubs mentioned here mine is probably the cheapest! Not sure about your currencies but here the annual membership fees are R30 for school kids and R50 for adults. No match fees, no nets fees, just that one payment per year and we get along fine! I don't even know of any club in our district that has to pay match fees and we play some good cricket. The umpires are generally volunteers so they don't cost anything, other than that every club has its own set of stumps, the pitch is usually taken care of by the municipality or members of the club and the only thing that you have to buy for the game is the match balls. If you want a cricket shirt with the club's emblem on it you have to pay for it but that's optional. Remind me to save some money if I ever want to play cricket in England!
30 RAND is 2.13 euros, i buy two coca cola cans with that !!!!

Does anyone know of or do any shoulder exercises (specifically relating to leg spin) and can suggest a few?
Yeah loads. But, it's not that simple you have to have core strength first. My advice would be to start off with basic planks and then press-ups. Once you've got that going and you can hold a plank for one or two minutes and do 15 press up, move on to doing this here

Once you've got that going add this to the routine or do as a separate exercise

The Delts one doesn't get started till about 3 mins in. I like all of these as they don't involve going to the gym and spending money. If you make a start and it causes pain though - ease up and rest for a day or two and then get back on it, just be cautious especially if you generally don't do a lot of exercise - build up to it bit by bit.

Ive finished the season with:

Bowling:
19 Overs
85 Runs (i counted 81)
8 Wides (on our website its 3)
6 Wickets
1 Maiden
Economy 4.47
Average 14.17
Strike Rate 19

Batting:
22 Runs
58 Balls
Average 5.25
Strike Rate 37.93
1 Not Out

Ive finished the season with:

Bowling:
19 Overs
85 Runs (i counted 81)
8 Wides (on our website its 3)
6 Wickets
1 Maiden
Economy 4.47
Average 14.17
Strike Rate 19

Batting:
22 Runs
58 Balls
Average 5.25
Strike Rate 37.93
1 Not Out

what age group and how many games? What type of games and what is a par score and what number did you bat?

Thanks mate. I'm just barely capable of 15 press ups and probably 1-1:30 plank, so I'll work on those before trying out the exercises from that first video, because that's a pretty big step up.
That one arm exercise helped me massively season before last, every time I bowled I was pulling a muscle in my upper arm. The shoulders were okay because I was doing press-ups, but my bowling action was affecting this one area. I did the one arm exercise using the body weight and it worked a treat, I now do that every now and then, I'm not obsessive, but I just do a bit here and there.

I have a booklet written for leg spin coaches in 1998, and it says as following. A booklet for leg spin coaches is just as useful as a booklet directed at the bowler.

Common Technique

-Strong Grip
-Rhythmic Approach, rock-back
-The shoulder points to the target. Lead arm high and pulls down to help drive over the braced front leg. If the shoulder points to target, the feet are right.
-Stand tall, head and shoulders steady
-Bowling arm follows through past the left leg

So basically, here is my problem. My season has just started, and as usual I've come back with a stupid mistake with my bowling. I was leaning back very far before I bowled, ruining my rhythm. I was told by my coach that I shouldn't rock back at all and just stand straight throughout the entire action. I could have misinterpreted what was said. Anyway, I focused on standing up straight and my bowling absolutely clicked for about a week or so, but now it has absolutely broke itself as it tends to do occasionally. I'm not sure if when I was bowling well I was actually leaning back or not, because everything seems to habitual you sometimes can't really notice what you are doing (e.g I had to check yesterday to see if I jumped before I bowled...). So, I really can't tell if I am still leaning back slightly while I'm trying to be straight. I basically want to work on this and know exactly what I should be doing. Should I be rocking back slightly or simply be as straight as possible?

Thanks for any help.

Back