2012/13 Barclay Shield

The fact there are actually people who think it's OK to bat on after the final result is obtained is an unfortunate reflection of the standard we play. Perhaps some of those people could explain why it doesn't happen at higher levels of the game?

People don't bat on after a final result is obtained in any level of the game.

Teams at Shield level bat on if only a first innings result quite often. Also happens often at Premier level...

The fact there are actually people who think it's OK to bat on after the final result is obtained is an unfortunate reflection of the standard we play. Perhaps some of those people could explain why it doesn't happen at higher levels of the game?

Teams at Shield level bat on if only a first innings result quite often. Also happens often at Premier level...

you keep trying to justify it, you must be paranoid about it

batting on for any longer than an hour (in which time, you can reach all the milestones, give everyone a hit, look at a 10point result) is simply poor form.

to say you want bat 80 overs is crap, it means nothing, you know as well as i do the bowling team is going half arsed by 4pm. if you didnt bat 80 overs in those circumstances you have problems

In Premier cricket the game can only be called off in the final hour if both captains agree so they play almost all of the overs in every game, in VTCA teams play until 6:00pm no matter what the situation in a match, so in reality what Lower Eltham did was no different.

Saying that a team wanting to bat their 80 overs is crap may well be a reflection of where your Club is going wrong harry2bob, I would have thought that batting 80 overs in this comp. is a key to winning games.

Anyway, anyone got updates of how the T20 matches went last night????

In Premier cricket the game can only be called off in the final hour if both captains agree so they play almost all of the overs in every game, in VTCA teams play until 6:00pm no matter what the situation in a match, so in reality what Lower Eltham did was no different.

Saying that a team wanting to bat their 80 overs is crap may well be a reflection of where your Club is going wrong harry2bob, I would have thought that batting 80 overs in this comp. is a key to winning games.

Anyway, anyone got updates of how the T20 matches went last night????

Yeah, Lower Eltham passed Montmorency easily in 15 overs. They were going to bat on but decided against it in the end. :D

the solution is simple....

why doesnt every other team vow to bat 80 overs in the second innings against lower eltham no matter what?

will eventually affect them a hell of a lot more than it will hurt every other team. all peaches while youre winning; wait till you start losing.

why doesnt every other team vow to bat 80 overs in the second innings against lower eltham no matter what?

will eventually affect them a hell of a lot more than it will hurt every other team. all peaches while youre winning; wait till you start losing.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to bat for 80 overs in your 1st innings against them in the first place?

I would have thought that every team expects to be in the field for 80 overs in every game unless you bowl them out, being a crap team that can't bat your 80 shouldnt mean you get off with only having to field for 55 overs. I really can't understand the fuss, I would have no issue if Lower Eltham or any team did the exact same to my club.

I replied to a bloke stating that higher grades of cricket don't do it.

We go to cricket on Saturday's looking to play cricket... I guess we are weird like that.

you keep trying to justify it, you must be paranoid about it

batting on for any longer than an hour (in which time, you can reach all the milestones, give everyone a hit, look at a 10point result) is simply poor form.

to say you want bat 80 overs is crap, it means nothing, you know as well as i do the bowling team is going half arsed by 4pm. if you didnt bat 80 overs in those circumstances you have problems

I replied to a bloke stating that higher grades of cricket don't do it.

We go to cricket on Saturday's looking to play cricket... I guess we are weird like that.

no probs, the sarcasm and wittiness of your comment says you seek to be liked, best you change clubs

harry2bob, please refer to your post at the bottom of the page of the below link, then please stop posting, you are contradicting yourself and are looking foolish, especially rich coming from your club with a chequered past.

http://www.bigcricket.com/community/threads/money-shield-2012-13.183369/page-3#post-548039

sorry didnt realise you were on the big cricket committee too.

the post you refer to is about playing cricket, ie for points.

batting on for self gratification for no extra points is not? you get it?

Worked out pretty well for our horrible % though, which we snuck into the finals with last year.
Does that make it acceptable then? :p

Worked out pretty well for our horrible % though, which we snuck into the finals with last year.
Does that make it acceptable then? :p

more justification. its 80 overs, no it %, no its mental scars, yadayadayada, poor form is what it is.

if you weren't so worried about % and considered points more important, you could have gone for 10 and in fact had better %. there were 22 overs left in the match, if you declared say 20 overs earlier, gives you 42 overs bowl out a team that you had already dismissed for 124, at least you are playing for something!!!

why didnt you use the 22 overs for more gratification if % is what you were after? you had a bloke 122no surely he was seeing them alright?

Your exact words were 'what are we here for?? to not play?' so you have contradicted yourself, you'd be a great politician.

Anyway, enough of this, good point by Poy.....I mean Opener2, that had Lower Eltham not played on in a couple of games last year, they may not have made the finals and wouldnt have won, i mean pinched, a flag.

For what it's worth, looks like an even season, Diamo seem to be the ones to beat over Lower Eltham, Bundoora, Plenty and Macleod, if Tim Wise is up and going for the whole season Macleod will be hard to beat I reckon. Bundoora are not as strong as last season and their batting isn't great, but a good group of quality players, Lower Eltham batting is strong, bowling looks thin, Plenty have a few gaps but will be hard to beat as well, looking forward to a good season.

Back