2012/13 Barclay Shield

Your exact words were 'what are we here for?? to not play?' so you have contradicted yourself, you'd be a great politician.

Anyway, enough of this, good point by Poy.....I mean Opener2, that had Lower Eltham not played on in a couple of games last year, they may not have made the finals and wouldnt have won, i mean pinched, a flag.

For what it's worth, looks like an even season, Diamo seem to be the ones to beat over Lower Eltham, Bundoora, Plenty and Macleod, if Tim Wise is up and going for the whole season Macleod will be hard to beat I reckon. Bundoora are not as strong as last season and their batting isn't great, but a good group of quality players, Lower Eltham batting is strong, bowling looks thin, Plenty have a few gaps but will be hard to beat as well, looking forward to a good season.

they didnt play on for % in any games last year? in fact missed an oppurtunity.

Teams at Shield level bat on if only a first innings result quite often. Also happens often at Premier level...

It doesn't happen at premier level. The rule in Premier cricket is that the captains can agree to call a game off at tea on the second day. If a game is dead at tea on the second day the captains will call the game off for sure.

Can you please post a link from mycricket where a team in Premier cricket has batted 200 runs past the opposition without going for 10 points? Apparently it happens all the time.

Not justification, its just a good auxillary benefit. Only justification it needs is our captain chose to go that way. The rest (%, blokes getting in form etc) is all a bonus.

more justification. its 80 overs, no it %, no its mental scars, yadayadayada, poor form is what it is.

if you weren't so worried about % and considered points more important, you could have gone for 10 and in fact had better %. there were 22 overs left in the match, if you declared say 20 overs earlier, gives you 42 overs bowl out a team that you had already dismissed for 124, at least you are playing for something!!!

why didnt you use the 22 overs for more gratification if % is what you were after? you had a bloke 122no surely he was seeing them alright?

Sure I will go look at old games I didn't play in and have no bearing on my cricket for funsies.
Even in the circumstance you propose in premier cricket, they would've kept going after tea to get a bloke a ton. So we'd have batted what 5-6 overs less. Wow.

It doesn't happen at premier level. The rule in Premier cricket is that the captains can agree to call a game off at tea on the second day. If a game is dead at tea on the second day the captains will call the game off for sure.

Can you please post a link from mycricket where a team in Premier cricket has batted 200 runs past the opposition without going for 10 points? Apparently it happens all the time.

fair enough opener man,

who thinks they have the winners this week?

I propose a barclay knockout comp,
you must tip 3 winners to stay alive each week.

i'll go for
Bundoora
Diamond Creek
Riverside

who's in?

fair enough opener man,

i'll go for
Bundoora
Diamond Creek
Riverside

who's in?

I like the idea, if you don't mind how about we set up a tipping thread seperate to this, make it a knock out comp where you have to pick 3 for BS and MS each week to stay alive? Or would that be too hard?

Or one winner a week in each, can only pick the same side twice a season? Only 8 games left?

I like the idea, if you don't mind how about we set up a tipping thread seperate to this, make it a knock out comp where you have to pick 3 for BS and MS each week to stay alive? Or would that be too hard?

fair enough opener man,

i'll go for
Bundoora
Diamond Creek
Riverside

who's in?

ok, i won, thanks for playing.

anyone want to play this week? tip 3 to stay alive.

im going for
Riverside
Epping
Lower Eltham

Wouldnt know because Im no longer involved, but what do you think?

Mate I think we still are, we're a new team this year picked up a few players and abit more youth to previous years it's just a matter of time before we click and become a force again..
But that my opinion what's yours?

Mate I think we still are, we're a new team this year picked up a few players and abit more youth to previous years it's just a matter of time before we click and become a force again..
But that my opinion what's yours?

My uninformed opinion is that no one worries about you guys any more or less than any other side. You may have some talent coming through but I reckon you are along way away from the mentally tough, supremely confident, experienced, intimidating, talented side you were a few years ago. So my answer would be, no!

Does anyone still see us boys as a powerhouse?
Just wondering, were having no luck but do sides still worry about playing us?

I don't think any side has ever "worried" about playing anyone else. There are stronger teams, you know will push/challenge you, but I would say that you're not in this category anymore. Whilst you're obviously in the rebuilding phase, you still have plenty of quality within your side. Its below your 1s that you seem to drastically drop off.

But you're a strong club with a rich history, so I have no doubt you will be strong again.

PlentyPower isn't a Plenty player by the way, it's someone trying to take the piss.
whether taking the piss or not, up until 2 years ago, plenty was the most feared team to play anywhere, anytime. How could you not fear the likes of love, pavey, johnson, hubber, rossbrook? and off the back of those blokes, villani, curtain and zull all grew another leg. Now, different story. To say that their new recruits, especially salpigtidis and wellington, have been anything short of horrible, would be an understatement. Just havent got those hard nut pro's in their line up anymore! But i will always respect what they did through the 2000's!!

whether taking the piss or not, up until 2 years ago, plenty was the most feared team to play anywhere, anytime. How could you not fear the likes of love, pavey, johnson, hubber, rossbrook? and off the back of those blokes, villani, curtain and zull all grew another leg. Now, different story. To say that their new recruits, especially salpigtidis and wellington, have been anything short of horrible, would be an understatement. Just havent got those hard nut pro's in their line up anymore! But i will always respect what they did through the 2000's!!

Plenty were blessed to have had such strong group of older players from the early 2000's. The core group that led them to 4 in a row is as good as you will ever see. Love, Pavey, Johnson, Amalfi, Bond, Hubber and Barclay. That's 7 genuine star cricketers. You're right, everyone that played with them grew a bit when they walked out to play with those blokes. No doubt.

They built their success around this core and topped up with players as they needed to, like they also did when Rosbrook returned and they lured Salvatore over to go back to back a couple of years later.

They are in a rebuilding phase at the moment. A lot of kids, but also a lot of potential. And some returning district cricketers. There are still some very good cricketers at that club, I wouldn't write them off.

Creek look unbeatable. Only challenger could be lower eltham. Maybe bundoora. But all over for mine. Great chase mernda, well done st Francis, Macleod can thank 2 blokes and nth eltham wand can thank research for being poo or they would be stone motherless!!

Creek look unbeatable. Only challenger could be lower eltham. Maybe bundoora. But all over for mine. Great chase mernda, well done st Francis, Macleod can thank 2 blokes and nth eltham wand can thank research for being poo or they would be stone motherless!!
Yep , we have been relying on a couple of blokes all year. Lucky for us there are a couple back from injury/overseas who will return in the coming weeks to strengthen the club.
I guess the other way of looking at that comment is that we have a few under performing yet are still notching up the wins. Hopefully those guys can make.solid contributions moving forward.

Back