2014/2015 Barclay Shield

Cant confirm or deny that Bundoora has signed Tom but i do know that he was shopping himself around via email!
Good pick up for Bundoora that will compliment Higgins,Macauley and Gardiner.
I can also say that one club upon hearing how much Tom was asking had to remind him that his name was Tom Burton and not Freddie Flintoff!

"Hello,

My Name is Tom Burton, I'm 22 years old and i am looking for a club out in Australia for 2015/2016 season. I am an English all rounder from Leicester. I played my county cricket at Warwickshire County Cricket Club in the 2nd X1 and also Unicorns cricket. I have spent the last 3 Australian summers playing for Macleod Cricket Club in the DVCA Barclay Shield and I've found it a good and enjoyable competition Last year i won the DVCA Christensen Competition Medal. I am looking to come out to Australia for my fourth year with a view to helping coach the senior sides as i have a Level 2 coaching badge. Please find attached my cricketing CV

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards

Tom Burton."

gee mate bit rough, no confidentiality at your club????

why dont you just post the amount he's after

haha, im trying to weed you out ex-pres...you can always deny it

Not confirming or denying anything as there is nothing to confirm or deny....yet.
I did hear the talk as well at the local footy on the weekend, but not sure where it has come from.
However, if Tom is making himself available, then as he is a quality player and I believe a quality young person, we would certainly be very interested.

Not confirming or denying anything as there is nothing to confirm or deny....yet.
I did hear the talk as well at the local footy on the weekend, but not sure where it has come from.
However, if Tom is making himself available, then as he is a quality player and I believe a quality young person, we would certainly be very interested.

Have you, or to your knowledge, your club spoken to him? :)

In regards to Tom Burton, I'm pretty sure that I was told only one of the English recruits would be back for Macleod next season. Now I know Johnson is back, so I took it that Tom wouldn't be making the trip. I would think it highly unlikely he would play anywhere else if he were to be in town, but I'm sure Timmy or "Serge" can clear that up if they wish.

Confirmed, Johnson will be back at Macleod for 2 years at least.
Any truth to the rumour that Research ambushed him in a meeting a week after the grand final, Brutal, with a contract put under his nose ?

Last edited:
Burton would be the perfect recruit for any DVCA club. Hard hitting bat, wicket taking bowler. He has played in the last 3 A grade finals series, a comp medalist and he has played abroad....
Im not privy to the kanga his after but what would you expect to pay someone with a resume like this? You pay peanuts you get monkeys

There's a lot of money flying around for 1st XI players and there must be some pretty peeved 2nd XI guys and/or loyal clubmen around the place who see positions open up, only to be filled when their executive throw money at some ring-ins.

Maybe clubs need to be looking at developing the players they already have rather than just taking the cubic dollars approach to playing lists.

At the end of the day its local cricket.
I think most guys are happy to slog it out thru summer for the enjoyment and commradrie with their mates and enjoy a beer as winners together, hopefully.
If the club decide to pay big coin to a recruit I think most would accept that player movement is not a fluent as local footy and you gotta pay overs but if that recruit can get you to the promised land I think most reasonable CLUBmen would be happy for the club to take that route.
Is it sustainable? Probably not.
Is it wrong? Who could definitively say.
Only one team wins it each year does that mean the other 11 got it wrong?

John Green has been a 50/50 proposition ever since he has been at Plenty.
You guys dont know from week to week whether he is playing or going bush. Premiersagain, this you cant deny!

You guys dont know from week to week whether he is playing or going bush. Premiersagain, this you cant deny!
It looks like BU have lost at least three A grade players for next season. One an opening batsman, one a keeper/batsman and the other an opening bowler

Confirmed, Johnson will be back at Macleod for 2 years at least.
Any truth to the rumour that Research ambushed him in a meeting a week after the grand final, Brutal, with a contract put under his nose ?
Not sure what you mean by "Ambushed"? I did hear we had made an offer to him. He looked after our U/18 boys last season, so there was a bit of a contact anyway. Obviously we were keen to get a keeper/bat, from what I'm aware of the offer seemed acceptable, your boys countered, the rest is history. Anyway I found out after the event, so all pretty much done and dusted by then. It seems in all our recruiting attempts, all we've achieved is getting guys substantially more $$ at their existing clubs:(. Just ask a couple of Subbie clubs who won flags last season;)

my source is pretty confident its a done deal, he will play at bundoora...source also tells me, macleod yet to be informed!!

If it was a done deal, he would have signed something . My source ( Tom Burton himself ) reliably informs me that he hasn't signed any contracts with any club and given his situation in the UK, will not be in a position to sign any agreements until August.

People you believe to be quality young people may just be lying to your face. Happened to us.

Well he has played for us for the last 4 seasons so as far as we're concerned we know exactly what we're getting. So clearly the percentages show he is 100% the last 4 years then.... And you obviously have reliable sources because yeah Mitch is certainly not playing district, and I highly highly doubt he will ever again.. But good luck on your stab in the dark next time

Back