3rd Test: Pakistan v West Indies at Karachi

Re: 3rd Test: Pakistan v West Indies at Karachi

Yousuf finally out for 124!

Pakistan 365-4 and still batting though. Inzi is on 44.

so in this 3-Test series, Yousuf batted 5 times, and got 4 centuries:
Test 1- 192, dnb
Test 2- 56, 191
Test 3- 102, 124

Fantastic! I hope he can keep it up when Pakistan goes to South Africa early next year.

Malik and Razzaq don't last too long, and Inzi finally declares. He made it to 58*.

Pakistan finished 399-6, for a lead of 443 runs.

I find it highly unlikely that West Indies will have a serious go at scoring 444 runs to win this match. They'll probably just aim for the draw straightaway. Of course, with the trouble a lot of their batsmen have had batting on this pitch, they still may not survive.

Oh no!

Gayle edges it onto his stumps and he's bowled by Gul in the very first over!
Disaster!

Lara walks in and it's 2-1 in the first over.

Ganga gone too.

At least Lara seems to have decided to swing the bat to make this entertaining,
West Indies 30-2 after 5 overs.

That's the end of Day 4, West Indies 39-2

A draw is definitely still possible for West Indies, as you never know when someone like Lara or Chanderpaul will decide to bat for 5 or 6 hours. With any help from the usual bad light and some slow over rates from Pakistan, the West Indies will probably only have to hold out for 85 overs instead of 90.

I'm tempted to unleash a string of expletives but I might get banned...

and I don't want to jinx ronnie and the prince...

Final day is underway.

Lara is looking pretty cautious so far, and he looks like he was serious about lasting through the whole day.

Umar Gul comes on to bowl, and has to wait about 5 minutes because the sight screen has broken. They can't fix it, and eventually wind up just throwing a tarp over it.

Then he finally gets to bowl and nails Lara with the first ball!
Tough luck for Lara, out for 49.

West Indies 97-3, still trailing by 347 runs, and have about 30 minutes to survive before lunch.

Well, Sarwan had to retire hurt when he got hit in the foot, and Morton came on and started trying to hit sixes. He didn't last long.

West Indies 126-4, but Sarwan is out hurt, and may not be able to come back. They're definitely in trouble here.

144-4 at lunch.

That was a two and a half hour session, so they only have to survive for another three and a half hours.

Chanderpaul might be able to do it, but I'n not so confident about Bravo. Ramdin will need to perform when he comes in.

drinks,
177-4

Bravo and Chanderpaul have made it halfway through the middle session, but they still have a lot of work to do and lot of time to stay out there before they're safe.

Bravo with a stupid shot that he really didn't need to play, and he winds up edging it to Younis.

183-5

Now its up to the partnership of Chanderpaul and Ramdin to make it through about 8 overs to tea.

The good news is that the skies are getting a little dark, and there's a chance that light might come into play at some point later on.

Tea,
West Indies 226-5 (plus Ramdin retired hurt)

Chanderpaul is up to 68 and looking very comfortable and confident in there. Unfortunately, his poor fitness may be catching up to him. The announcers haven't really noticed or said anything yet, but I've noticed him limping just a little and bending over to stretch every now and then. I'm afraid he won't be able to go another 2 hours.

Theoretically, there's 38 overs left in the day. In reality though, there's no way the light will hold out that long. I'd be surprised if West Indies had to bat for another 25 overs. Probably more like 15.

Unfortunately, with Sarwan still hurt, the only people left to come are Powell, Taylor, and Collymore. So it would really help if Ramdin and Chanderpaul could stick around until the light is offered.

Kaneria catches Chanderpaul right after tea with a good lbw decision.
227-6

It's going to be tough for West Indies to hold out from here. Chanderpaul was looking a lot more comfortable than Ramdin has been.

Younis, pretty much the only Pakistan fielder worth a lick, makes a great catch off the first ball Powell faces. Kaneria is on a hat-trick.

227-7

No hat trick, but the news gets even better for West Indies:
Sarwan has a hairline fracture, and will be out of the ODI series.

That's good news for Runako Morton, I suppose, he'll probably see more action in the ODI's now.
Might be good news for Lendl Simmons too.

the sun has come out, so any hopes of an early offer of the light are looking slim now

Collymore out, Sarwan won't be batting, West Indies all out for 244.
Pakistan win the final test by 199 runs,
and win the series 2-0.

There's not very much suspense as we wait to see who's named man of the match.

Back