Australia In England, The Ashes 2013

i try to be objective as possible but that is a game changer. With all the tech how was that out. I question how long it will be before a player takes legal action over what looks like spot fixing for betting. Wonder who made a million on that decision? Clearly not out. Just keeps bringing back bad memories of of 05 when Martin was out three times in a row off inside edges. Poor umpiring is not forgivable anymore.

fantastic effort overnight by Clarke and Smith. We were expecting Clarke to get up he was due and a quality batsmen like Clarke won't be quite forever but Smith has stepped up and has really looked the most likely to succeed since India. He needs to convert this to a ton and then we have our man. One down four more batsmen to go.

It's time for umpires to go and let technology rule totally. If the umpire had made the right decision in the first place there was no way that was out from the DRS. It went from 1 howler to 2 absolute shockers.
I gave that not out and said he missed it by 2 inches with the naked eye live. How could 2 paid professionals not realise that.

It's more to do with the fact that a vast majority of international umpires these days are a bunch of incompetent twats.

Tony Hill has proven time and time again that he is useless yet they drop Billy Bowden from the elite umpires panel and retain him, to me that is a sick joke.

I've never been a huge fan of Kumara Dharmasena either.

Very good bowler in his day but not an umpire's bootlace.

The DRS is a must have but the ICC really do need to send these umpires on a refresher course to get their skill levels up to the required standard or just piss them off altogether and promote new umpires.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...re-review-fiasco/story-fndpt0dy-1226689837107

Kevin Rudd joins former cricketing greats to condemn umpire review fiasco

839756-kevin-rudd.jpg

Cricketing buff, Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has condemned the latest DRS incident to plague the Ashes series.Source: Getty Images

OUTRAGE over the dreadful video umpire decision to uphold a caught behind against Usman Khawaja during the opening day of the third Test has gone right to the top.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd joined former greats, commentators and the masses on twitter to condemn the combined incompetence of onfield umpire Tony Hill and DRS umpire Kumar Dharmasena.

“I’ve just sat down to watch the Test. That was one of the worst cricket umpiring decisions I have ever seen,” the Prime Minister tweeted as #disgrace trended on twitter.

Shane Warne was dumbfounded how Dharmasena upheld Hill’s decision.

“I can’t believe that,” said Warne, who was at Old Trafford as a commentator.

“It’s just a staggering decision.

“The technology has shown clearly that there was enough evidence to overturn a mistake. There was no hot spot, there was no noise, so you just expect that (to be) given not out.

“It clearly showed his bat hit his pad. There was daylight between bat and ball, there was no hot spot, and no noise. The only noise was when his bat hit his pad.

“That’s a shocker, that’s an absolute shocking decision.

“That is a ridiculous decision.”
I've just sat down to watch the test. That was one of the worst cricket umpiring decisions I have ever seen. KRudd
— Kevin Rudd (@KRuddMP) August 1, 2013
Fox commentators Brendon Julian, Greg Blewett and Damien Fleming were similarly nonplussed, with Blewett claiming he had to be careful what he said in case he swore on television.

Usually measured former Australian international Tom Moody was outraged.

“That is an unbelievable decision what a joke by both on & off field umpires, covering each others backsides!!” Moody tweeted.
That is an unbelievable decision what a joke by both on & off field umpires, covering each others backsides!! #Ashes
— Tom Moody (@TomMoodyCricket) August 1, 2013

Former England captain Michael Vaughan agreed. He tweeted: “Feel for a young player who is trying to make his way in the game…. Really poor decision….”

Another former England captain, Alec Stewart, joined in.

“That is a ridiculous decision by both the on & off field umpires. DRS creating yet more controversy. Any wonder players don’t walk!” Stewart tweeted.
That is a ridiculous decision by both the on & off field umpires. DRS creating yet more controversy. Any wonder players don't walk!#Ashes
— Alec Stewart (@StewieCricket) August 1, 2013
Australian Cricketers’ Association chief executive Paul Marsh called for sackings.

"That is the most disgraceful decision I've ever seen. What an absolute joke. Put that down to human error - no fault of DRS," Marsh tweeted.

"The bit people are missing is that technology gave the umpires all they needed to overturn that. Complete incompetence. Jobs should be lost."
And the outrage wasn't restricted just to words. No sooner had Khawaja trudged back to the Old Trafford pavilion than the 'Meme Machines' of cyberspace had swung into gear.
The dreadful decision by third umpire Dharmasena to uphold an incorrect caught behind ruling to Khawaja inflamed fans and commentators alike.

But the Twitterati could not match wits with the meme-o-sphere, who employed the likes of Homer Simpson, guide dogs and blindfolded men to illustrate the absurdity of the decision.

Their attempts at humour presumably brought little joy to Khawaja, however. Fighting to hold down the No. 3 spot, the talented left-handed will have to wait a couple of days before having the opportunity to make amends for his first innings total of one.

I am still shaking my head at Usman Khawaja's dismissal.

Kumara Dharmasena and Tony Hill should be removed from the elite panel pronto after this Test.

That decision reeked of gross incompetence.

In the end you can say whatever you like about hill but it is never so easy when you are in the middle. The DRS is meant to be there just for this sort of mistake by the on-field umpire, so for mine all guilt is with the video ump.

It went from 1 howler to 2 absolute shockers.
Very well put.

I think the interpretation has to be changed from the third umpire having to have enough evidence to overturn the on-field call. Instead, the third umpire should maybe look at the referred decision from scratch, acting as an on-field umpire but with the aid of replays and technology. The major problem with the DRS is that everyone has varying interpretations of the word "conclusive", and it somehow has to be standardised so that every umpire is on the same page.

In the end you can say whatever you like about hill but it is never so easy when you are in the middle. The DRS is meant to be there just for this sort of mistake by the on-field umpire, so for mine all guilt is with the video ump.

I know it's not easy for the umpires but Blind Freddie would tell you that Tony Hill is not a Test standard umpire.

Billy Bowden for all his faults and innane quirkiness was twice the umpire Hill is and Bowden gets shafted and Hill doesn't.

The problem is that the 3rd umpire's focus is wrong. Instead of trying to protect the on-field umpire, he should only be concerned with making the right decision.

To be fair to Dharmasena, I think he's a decent on-field umpire.

Agree with Shark about Tony Hill. I'm amazed he's been in the elite panel so long. Billy was a much better umpire.

Obviously that was a horrible UDRS decisions. The original call was terrible but the review call was even worse. How Dharmasena still gave that out is anyone's guess.

What this does prove though is that DRS still needs some major tweaks before it can be used effectively in cricket. In my opinion they have to have all technology available and it has to be the best of the best. At the moment they don't use snicko for DRS calls and that would have saved Khawaja had it been available for use. Currently, there are too many flaws and too many grey areas for the system to be used correctly at the moment although some competent third umpiring wouldn't go astray either.

It needs to be sorted out and either have everything available to be used or don't have it at all.

Australia 7/437 now. Clarke out for 187 and Siddle went for a big wog across the line and was bowled for 1. Australia have certainly showed their intentions in the last five minutes or so. Haddin on 39 with Starc on 4.

Back