Australia in South Africa

Australia 19/5

Wow what happened to the Australian batsmen on Sunday?

1,5,8,1,3 what is that? It’s the scores from the Australian batsmen in the second MTN ODI at SuperSport Park Centurion.

I was at this game, it was madness the Australians lost a wicket in almost every over for the first five overs. Poor form, I know we took a whipping the game before but at 19/5 you got to ask a few questions?

What do you guys think of that batting performance?

Shaun Custers
SA Cricket Blog

Re: Australia 19/5

Although some on the shots were poor could it not be possible that it was mainly down to some really good bowling from Steyn and Parnell.

I'm not worrying to much.

Re: Australia in South Africa

postmanpav;343399 said:
I have never in my life seen Australia 5 down for under 20 in any form of cricket.
They were pretty close to that a few years ago against the West Indies before Brisbanes weather saved them :p

Late onslought from South Africa gets them to 6/289 from 50 overs. AB de Villiers and Jacques Kallis were responsible, scoring 80 and 70 respectively and in getting the bulk of the runs. Duminy, Morkel and Boucher made 32, 29 and 28 to lift South Africa from a modest score to a reasonably good one.

Mitch Johnson has been Australia's best bowler by a mile with 4/34 from ten overs, including two maidens. Bracken and Geeves chipped in with a wicket each but only Johnson and Nathan Hauritz could keep the runs down.

Big chase for the Australians. The top six need to fire here otherwise they will struggle.

Wonder if they will make the changes to the batting lineup needed before they lose the series? Oops, they are probably worried that North or White will embarass them and make runs when they arent even in the next squad

Game four is on, Australia won the toss and batted first. They contained South Africa early on but a few expensive overs have cost them and the Saffas are 0/46 from ten overs. Gibbs is on 23 and Smith is on 20.

Shane Harwood is making his ODI debut for Australia today.

South Africa XI: *Graeme Smith, Herschelle Gibbs, Jacques Kallis, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, +Mark Boucher, Roelof van der Merwe, Albie Morkel, Johan Botha, Dale Steyn, Wayne Parnell

Australia XI: +Brad Haddin, Michael Clarke, *Ricky Ponting, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Callum Ferguson, James Hopes, Mitchell Johnson, Shane Harwood, Nathan Hauritz, Nathan Bracken

Kram81;344569 said:
Smith out caught Haddin, woot.

Undisciplined. Gave himself and room and came at Hopes only to bottom edge it to Haddin.

1/46 after 10.1 overs. Kallis in.

both teams in a reasonable position.

wasnt stuart clark going to play this game or did i hear wrong? i got my hopes up for nothing.

Kallis goes to Harwood. Short ball and Kallis connects well but he upper-cuts it stright to Ferguson at third man.

2/88 now, Gibbs on 45, de Villiers 0.

5/259, Johnson just took the wicket of Albie Morkel for four. Earlier, Gibbs and de Villiers put on a useful partnership of 136 before Gibbs fell to Bracken for a well made 110. AB de Villiers went soon after for 84, the first of Johnson's two wickets thus far.

44 overs down, 300 would be the target from here and anything after that is a bonus. The wicket of Morkel has dented South Africa's chances of getting to perhaps 320 and over.

6/317. Big score. Will be a very tough chase. Haddin to open with someone other than Clarke. He's too conservative at the top.

Back