Australia in South Africa

Re: Australia in South Africa

South Africa made 6/317, Harwood picked up Duminy on the final ball of the innings for 40. Boucher made 29 not out.

Going to be a tough chase for Australia. The top order is going to have to contribute otherwise they will struggle.

Australia started slowly but have picked up the pace thanks to Brad Haddin who has hit three sixes already in his innings of 59. They've moved to 0/102 from 16 overs, Michael Clarke is up to 39 not out and is playing a good role supporting Haddin who is doing all the hitting.

Triple strike for South Africa. Haddin tries to launch Botha again and is caught on the boundary at long-on by Wayne Parnell for 78. Michael Clarke was then beaten in flight by Roelof van der Merwe and is bowled by a sharp spinning delivery for 50 and then Ferguson is stumped for three by Mark Boucher giving van der Merwe his second wicket after drawing Ferguson just slightly out of his crease.

What a turnaround by South Africa, 3/146 now the Aussies with Ponting and a very-out-of-sorts Mike Hussey at the crease.

South Africa were too good again, Australia never really recovered from those three quick wickets, Ponting managed 53, Hopes 31 and David Hussey 20 but in the end they fell well short and were bowled out for 256.

Roelof ven der Merwe picked up three wickets and really turned the tide for South Africa in the middle overs while Dale Steyn finished with four wickets after cleaning up the tail.

South Africa won by 56 runs and now take an unassailable 3-1 lead in the ODI series.

Herschelle Gibbs was Man of the Match for his 110 and also a catch.

The final game is a day/night match beginning at 2:30pm local time (12:30pm) on Friday (April 17th).

Boris;344574 said:
both teams in a reasonable position.

wasnt stuart clark going to play this game or did i hear wrong? i got my hopes up for nothing.
No he was never going to make it in time for this game, but they then decided they didnt want Laughlin to play either so called up Harwood from his IPL training camp

eddiesmith;344629 said:
No Clark was never going to make it in time for this game, but they then decided they didnt want Laughlin to play either so called up Harwood from his IPL training camp

i thought i heard about him coming in for the injured Geeves. i must have heard wrong. do you know when he will be fit enough to return?

He was called in, but couldn't make it for this ODI. He is in the squad for the last ODI though.

Mousey;344671 said:
He was called in, but couldn't make it for this ODI. He is in the squad for the last ODI though.

thanks for the update Mousey

and yeah it was a pretty disappointing loss, especially since Haddin was going pretty well to set the side up for the chase. he seemed as if he was looking at the run rate, which more batsman should be doing, instead of batting casually for 20 overs then finally noticing that 12 runs an over is a bit much, and get out trying to achieve it. if the team did what haddin did at the start and concentrated on 5-7 runs every over and think no further than the current over then chasing big totals might be a bit easier. thats what michael bevan and mike hussey do/did so well, and look where that got them: bevan is understood as one of the best one day batsman ever in ODIs, the same with hussey, although he is having this much talked about lean spot at the moment (although it isnt too bad with ODIs).

We just got beaten by a better team, they are at full-strength and we are missing a few players.

To me the big moment was Gibbs against Hauritz, that LBW was stone dead plumb and after that the team just seemed to lose focus. Had that been rightly given out it could have been a bit different.

Still to be at 0-120 odd and not chase down 300 is disappointing.

All is not lost however, winning on Friday would allows us to finish the tour on a high.

i wasnt really relating my last post to the previous game but yeah that was a pretty bad decision.

stuart clarke is supposed to be back for this next game, so it should be a good warm-up for him since there is no pressure on him to really perform. do you think that he will remain now in the ODI team now that McGrath is gone? i think he should as his replacement.

Clark is in the squad for the UAE tour against Pakistan too. They're warming him up for the Ashes I'd say, see if he's back to what he was before missing the whole summer.

i think he will be. he is a much refined bowler, its not as if he will go out of form like a batsman would. he would have still be practicing all summer, just not at full speed.

i like him as mcgrath's replacement though. he should get the spot by default anyway, it was bracken and johnson that ended up ensuring that he wasnt going to play ODIs, and that meant that he was basically next in line since he was beaten in the spot. now that a spot has been freed he should rightfully get it. if rights of selection were the way selection works...

eddiesmith;344804 said:
Clark is not a great option for ODIs, will get smashed alot

do you have any evidence to support that? mcgrath didnt get smashed, and he bowls a damn lot like mcgrath. he also didnt get smashed when he played ODIs a couple of seasons ago, it was just found that bracken and johnson were marginally better than him, plus with mcgrath and lee in the side they ran out of spots. if he wasnt injured i think that he would have been in the side much earlier.

Would have a world record if he bowled 10 overs instead of Mick Lewis on Australias last tour of South Africa

He doesnt have the same abilities as McGrath and just because he can be effective in tests it wont make much difference in ODIs, Macca is the same, not even close to ODI consideration even though his bowling can be tight with the red ball

eddiesmith;344972 said:
Would have a world record if he bowled 10 overs instead of Mick Lewis on Australias last tour of South Africa

He doesnt have the same abilities as McGrath and just because he can be effective in tests it wont make much difference in ODIs, Macca is the same, not even close to ODI consideration even though his bowling can be tight with the red ball

yeah you cant compare anyone successfully to McGrath, but i really believe he will do well in game 5. he did well when he was first in the ODI team. i guess this shall be answered when he does play, as long as he is not judged until he has had a few games.

Back